Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Airfail the Fortress of Tragedy (Succesion Fort, NEEDS OVERSEER)  (Read 18520 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Airfail the Fortress of Tragedy (Succesion Fort)
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 10:46:27 pm »

The lever that controls the bridge mechanism is on the third floor of the building with all the workshops and the attached warehouse. It is located on middle of the south wall directly adjacent to the stairs.

and we have no military

Hey, my forts military pretty minimalistic usually. That ten man squad is HUGE compared to what I usually make. Also my original plan was to have the BAGILLION people assigned with masonry fortify the entire inside perimeter of the Moat. I just didn't have the time during my year.

Also, if we can get hands on the silver we can crank out silver warhammers which may not be as sexy as axes but are still plenty effective.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 04:22:35 pm »

The lever that controls the bridge mechanism is on the third floor of the building with all the workshops and the attached warehouse. It is located on middle of the south wall directly adjacent to the stairs.
Doesn't matter anymore. I had to take down that bridge anyway because it didn't reach across the dry moat.

5th Hematite

The goblin has finally expired, so everyone comes rushing back into the fort.

7th Hematite

We're finally ready to trade with the elves. In exchange for a truckload of mechanisms, they give us booze, plants, cloth, buckets, and barrels. They also brought a tame alligator, and I was tempted to take it... Wait, we have a moat! I'm taking it.

11th Hematite
Ahh, crap, it's gonna get into the river! I forgot that was a thing...

... or it's gonna crawl out of the moat and back into the fort, SURE THAT MAKES SENSE MR. GATOR.

Hm, maybe if I designate the pond like so...

18th Hematite

NOTHING I DO WILL MAKE IT STAY IN THE MOAT. ARGH BLARGH RAGE.

1st Malachite

A lye maker has been taken by a mood and claimed a craftsdwarf's shop.

14th Malachite

Well, that went off without a hitch. Okay, he needed leather and we didn't have any, but it's not like it's hard to make leather. Kill a thing, cut off the skin, soak it in noxious chemicals. Leather.

18th Malachite

Hey, it's a crown. Yayyyy. Asen the Color of Diamonds, goddess of jewels, is depicted on this jewelless crown. Maybe that's why she's laughing.

20th Malachite

Migrants have arrived. A stonecrafter, a miller, a carpenter, a peasant, a gem cutter, a glassmaker, and a hunter.

15th Galena

More dark stranglers. This time, I'm ready.

24th Galena

Bridge retracted. Marksdwarves stationed. Stranglers perforated. Siege broken. Not that it made a lot of difference.

1st Limestone

Autumn has arrived. I've drawn up plans for a hospital. Just in case.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 05:26:04 pm »

11th Sandstone
The entire month of Limestone was completely uneventful. I expanded the farms, built that hospital, had issues with the repeater and replaced it with a manual one... nothing big.

I'm only even writing now because migrants have arrived. A blacksmith, a weaponsmith, an animal dissector, a second blacksmith, a suturer, a weaver, a clothier, and a potash maker.

4th Timber
Hey, remember that moody gem cutter?

Forgot to memorialize him. So he's back. OOOPS (i buried him so it's all good now)

12th Timber
A dwarven caravan and an outpost liaison who prefers to be known as a fisherdwarf have arrived. All they brought was meat and leather. So I took every last scrap.

18th Timber
Tigermen have besieged us.

19th Timber
And goblins are ambushing us.

21st Timber
Evidently not together, however. The goblins are taking potshots at the tigermen, and the tigermen, lacking ranged weapons, are just... kinda... taking it. Oh, no, no they aren't. Neither they nor the goblins can reach us, but both groups can reach each other. Bye bye goblins.

I love enemy infighting.

25th Timber
Uh-oh, another ambush!

1st Moonstone
The enemy have been driven away, but Amost, our most talented marksdwarf, has taken an injury to his hand. And the CMD is doing spore-all for diagnosis.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 06:57:46 pm »

24th Moonstone
I've been busy this past month, coordinating the construction of a wall on the eastern side of the town.

25th Moonstone

Oh no! Not a giant aru! ... What the circus is a giant aru?

2nd Opal
Dead, is what it is.

19th Opal
Come on guys, will you butcher the forgotten oh is that carpenter taken by a mood?

and there he goes
the big dwarf....
HASS the shop

26th Opal
He made a bucket.

2nd Obsidian

oh noooooooo

satan is in our food supply guys :(

11th Obsidian
Another strangler attack.

15th Obsidian
Well, that didn't last very long. There were three mobs of stranglers and all three ran off after only a few bolts to the face. Wimps.

1st Granite, 128
And that's the end of my term. I left some plans unfinished, but I hope that my successor can handle simple tasks such as these if they read my notes.

Save's here.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 08:18:12 pm »

I'll take the 5th turn, although the length of my term may be spent making sure !!JUSTICE!! Is upheld

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 08:33:28 pm »

I have downloaded the save, and after taking a quick look around:

So many bridges...
So much food...
So few dwarves in the military...
And not a single piece of armor.

We'll have to remedy that somehow.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 08:42:57 pm »

The leftovers of the Tigermen/goblin slapfight should be able to be melted and refurbished... The only thing that strikes as odd is that eastern wall, but reinforcing the natural rockface is a pain in the ass.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 09:42:44 pm »

I have downloaded the save, and after taking a quick look around:

So many bridges...
So much food...
So few dwarves in the military...
And not a single piece of armor.

We'll have to remedy that somehow.

Most of the bridges are just scaffolding, to be taken down once the thing they're next to gets built.
Yeah, we have a hilarious amount of food.
I haven't had a problem yet with my 4-dorf military, but then this is only year 2.
but but there am no metalllll :( (i forgot about melting down enemy armor)

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 04:15:58 pm »

Spring 128 - PART 1

Kzel couldn't believe his luck. After a very disappointing apprenticeship in glassmaking in the mountainhome, he had decided to become a smith. Not just any smith, he wanted to create the best armor even made by dwarven hands, worthy of the respect of envy of those that see it. He wanted to forge the very best weapons, sharp enough to cut through a solid rock wall, or strong enough to send all that stand on the wrong end of it flying away. When a group of dwarves mentioned Airfail, he *had* to get on the wagon and try a new life there.

But as he arrived and listened with the others about a rapid overview of the fortress by the mayor, he soon realized the luck he had was bad. Very bad indeed, for the fort had not one bar, not one ingot of forgeable metal for him to practice his art. After studying a book he believed himself ready to finally grab the hammer, only to find out there was nothing to strike it at.

The Mayor, at the end of his little presentation, coldly announced his first mandate. Electrum. Aware from the previous speech that they lacked both gold and silver to make the requisite alloy, Kzel couldn't but think this as a plot against him. After all, he was the most skilled smith of the group, even if he never actually made an object. Without a doubt the blame for the failed mandate would fall upon him. What did he do to deserve this, he asked himself, but couldn't come up with an answer. Maybe the mayor didn't like his face, or envy his beautiful wife.

In the following days, the fortress would see major changes. Billibobfred had been a competent overseer, pushing back several attacks and providing enough food and lodgings for a settlement ten times as large. However, as to celebrate the renewal that comes with each spring, the responsibilities had changed hands, and they fell upon no other that our future criminal, Kzel.

A quick glance around the fortress from the top of the housing tower made him cringe. He had no experience in architecture or management, but what he saw he could only describe as 'a mess'. There was food everywhere. There were kitchens full of rotting roasts, with dwarves continuously preparing new ones, soaking the food with alcohol. There were fields ripe with a large quantity of plants of all sorts, next to an overflowing stockpile that would last their numbers years, if not all their lives. There were many jobs set without quantitative deadline, some of them using scarce resources like wood. And then, there was this :

An odd construction, seemingly floating in the sky for the wooden stairway would never be enough to support the weight of the massive stone above. The room was filled with armor racks and archery targets, but no one had claimed it, despite the good overview of the northern surroundings. Wary of the dangers of collapse of such a object, he ordered that no one use it, and instead set up the militia's training area near the southern bridge, so that soldiers would already be there when danger arises.

And then, much time was spent canceling previous orders. All the farms were destroyed, as in their place rose a forging and smelting complex, complete with all kinds of furnaces. The animal pen was to be covered with massive bridges of stone, a project of dubious value considering the rest of the fort remains exposed to the sky. A few more levels of wall would cover the beasts from archers standing on the hill, there was no need for such a complicate and long construction. Covering up the whole settlement was a possibility, but Draignean, the founder of the place, was against it as much as he was against building any production facility below ground. We would live under the sky, and deal with the birds or other flyers our own way.

That way, as it turned out, would be a major success within the population. Kzel had ordered every citizen not wielding a weapon, be it a pick or an axe, to be fitted with a crossbow, a quiver and some bolts. Many dwarves were delighted with the idea of being able to defend themselves of their own, and none complained about the assignment. The bone bolts they were to carry would prove enough to stop a buzzard from stealing their food without having to wait for the militia to come back up, and they could provide covering fire instead of hiding in fear during sieges. One of the latest migrants, a master bowyer, accepted the difficult task of carving more than 60 crossbows out of bones, turning the rest in bolts. Soon, all dwarves were armed, but ammunition supplies were slow to build up, and most had to wait in long lines to finally receive their bolts. By the end of slate, only a couple dozen dwarves had received their complete package.

The mayor's quarters were planned to occupy much space, space that they didn't really have much of, their expansion limited by the two layers of moat on three side, and a massive wall on the other. With a certain sense of revenge, Kzel ordered the half finished construction scrapped, and the mayor relocated to the top of the tower, in a single room that shall provide all his needs. To say the mayor was unhappy would be an understatement, despite billybobfred's magical contraption in the dining room that seems to cheer anyone who passes by. Nevertheless, he accepted to move, provided he was supplied with his latest fancy :

A deer hoof throne. He wanted a deer hoof throne. How many deer lives would be needed to build such a things, Kzel did not know. What he did know, was that noone had ever heard of thrones made of bones, much less hooves. Was that just a trick to annoy him ? Was that a deliberate excuse to complain and tantrum all day long ? Whichever the case, the mayor had succeeded.

However, having the reigns of the fortress in his hands, there was one thing Kzel could do, or rather, could not do. He could simply "forget" to appoint a dwarf at the position of sheriff, or captain of the guard. Without a way to punish the supposed criminals, there was little the mayor could do, but wait until the next year and try to put as much as he could on Kzel's back, to ensure a beating or hammering once a justice system is established.

Through some friends, he learned of Kzel's previous experience as Glassmaker, and swiftly made a new mandate, one that could only be filled by a glassmaker... :

Rock crystals are one of the rarest gems in existence. The probability of finding one here was close to zero. The mayor mandated *three* items made of crystal glass, for which rock crystals are required. Humans are known to sometimes bring some with their trading parties, but none of the dwarves had heard about the tall ones since they arrived. The land was dangerous and filled with hostiles, so it's highly possible they never come around here, or were just wiped out.

As a desperate attempt, Kzel ordered a large set of exploratory mining, digging down to see what the earth contains, but more interested about the possible metals they would find than about some elusive transparent rock. And, for once, luck did smile on him. Around 15m below the ground, miners found traces of Galena. Not the best of metals, but abundant and cheap enough to excuse the blunders of an apprentice smith. The silver would provide good training for weapons and armors, while the lead could be used to practice making furnitures. All in all, a rather good find for a surface ore, even though it was certainly no iron.

However, Kzel's last hope of metallurgy were crushed just as the miners announced they found a vein of Tetrahedrite. While the copper would be a step up from the inefficient silver, a group of migrants had just arrived, and the mayor was all to happy to come and announce him their skill sets : among the group of mostly useless peasants, stood two dwarves. One of them, a high master weaponsmith of renown. The other, a grand master armorer.

Kzel's poor skills would never be put to use when such competence was available, and he knew it all too well. Sadly, he stoke his name from the list of metalsmiths, and appointed the two masters in his place, each to be the only one allowed to practice in their respective skill. But he had an idea, an idea that required his skills in glass smelting. There was a magma pool not far below the surface, some 35m at the lowest point. Since they were not to go below ground, they would pump magma up to the surface. Glass is the only magma safe material they had available, Kzel would be the only one able to design the pump parts !

With magma, comes easily set up metal industries. With magma, comes unending wealth from skilled glass makers. Skilled glass makers like him ! Could the settlement really dispose of a source of unlimited income ? He did not think so. That was his chance, his only chance to escape the wrath of justice. For the following months, all attention was turned towards the completion of the pump...

Well, that's it for now. I'll try to complete the pump stack and start making copper armor. FPS is hovering around 30 so it shouldn't take too long. We had a jeweler mood, but he just made a perfect morion, no other features.

Do tell if the update is too wordy.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 04:19:30 pm by kzel »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 07:38:56 pm »

Do tell if the update is too wordy.

It's awesome.

(I would have explained this using a futurama demotivational, but I couldn't find the one I was looking for.)
---

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 11:31:03 am »

You know... this is odd. I've never once had a noble make Demands in any of my forts. Mandates, sure, but I've had Mayors, Barons, Queens, and Kings, and there's never been a single demand.

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 01:30:51 pm »

It probably has something to do with the fact he is displeased with his current accommodations. I usually have no trouble supplying noble dwarves with a high quality room good enough to reach decent dining/bed/throne room, but we lack both good materials and skilled crafters. Furthermore, I can't engrave the room for an easy increase in its value.

He's one the worst mayors I've seen, with only crossbows as a possible mandate/demand.

He'll have to cope with only ten exceptional rock statues and a couple glass windows (normal dining/bed/office level), as I have another project to focus my attention on : not letting something out of the caverns while I punch through to dig the pump stack. He remains content despite the bad thoughts he gets whenever he eats, sleeps or thinks about his assigments, so I guess it'll be alright.

By the way, permission to upgrade to 31.21 ? It should only be bug fixes and both Stonesense and Therapist are compatible.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 01:41:31 pm by kzel »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 01:51:29 pm »

Have at it, bugfixes are good.
---

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 04:10:43 pm »

SPRING 128 - PART 2

The plan was set in motion. The pump stack was to be built, and the sooner the better! Some were displeased about the delay of any non related jobs, like adequate lodgings for everyone or finally supplying the mayor with his rightful comfort.

Four dwarves were drafted in the wood burning squad. Their task was simple : provide enough charcoal to keep the glass furnaces burning hot for Kzel and his three apprentices. The glassmakers were to built 35 sets of block, corkscrew and tube, and by their most pessimistic estimate, they would be done by the end of spring, provided the wood burners worked fast enough.

Draignean and his two miners set off in the northern outer moat entrance and started digging down, for the closest magma pool was directly below. A little off-centered from the rest of the fortress, but the closest they could get. They also quickly dug out a massive cistern to hold the fiery liquid, just below the ground, near the northwestern end of the settlement, as well as a pipe leading to the predicted output of the pump.

It wasn't long until they reached the first cavern layer. Kzel winced at the news. He had hoped to avoid it entirely, but they had hit a rather high area that would require masons to secure. All dwarves currently unassigned were drafted as stonecutters to ensure speedy work, and the laying of stone began at once, while the miners were taking an alternate path to keep digging from the bottom. Work came to a halt however, when a rather perceptive dwarf identified one of the webs laying around everywhere :

Giant Cave Spiders. One the deadliest foes in the caverns below, save for some beasts long forgotten. Most of the area they were at contained nothing but banal cave spiders, but the sturdy strings were now easily visible in the distance, seemingly getting closer. The mighty monsters did not fly, so they were safe for the time being, unless an unlucky dodge makes a dwarf fall to his doom. Accessing and walling off the ground layer would have to be fast though, or the beast might be let loose on the population, causing great havoc before it can be stopped.

Unwilling to let the entrance bridge unguarded since they had heard nothing from the surroundings foes for too long, Kzel ordered operation to resume as they were critical to the settlement's (and his) life. After convincing them to trust their good quality crossbows and their half empty quivers to at least slow down the beast were it to come nearby, the mason resumed their work in haste, not even bothering to come back up to eat or drink before fetching more stones and laying down walls.

As bad news always come in sets of three, the miners once again came to Kzel with grim news. While digging up, they had hit the second cavern layer this time, and had spotted alarmingly close webs very similar to the ones seen by the mason before. Thankfully, there was now more than enough masons to bravely go and secure this hole as well. They had hit a particularly low area, with the ceiling already directly above us, so a single level of stone would suffice.

Both operation were successful without even a sighting of the fabled beasts, its presence still only revealed by the large amount of webs laying around everywhere. Maybe it had wandered off further away from the settlement. Kzel did not ponder the question too much as he laid the sand in the furnace and began his work, a task he had repeated far too often already in his opinion, and yet nowhere near enough.

The final step in the construction of the pumping casing was now underway, in the third layer of the caverns. The goal was pretty simple : get as close as possible to the magma, while hanging from the ceiling, and then build walls up from there. The lack of silk was a great relief for the many workers on the task, even though the area was anywhere but empty :

Giant blobs, cave crawlers, troglodytes, all manner of monstruosities lived down there. Thankfully, none dared brave the magma that was separating them from a juicy meal, and any beast getting too close was met with a volley of bolts that quickly dissuaded it from sticking around any longer. These crossbows were certainly coming in handy, but the bolts were getting rarer and rarer, now that the bones were used up.

The wood burners and lumberjacks had done a splendid job clearing the forest next to the bridge and burning enough charcoal to smelt enough glass components, so Kzel authorized the use of wood for further bolt crafting. The production would be faster than with bones, and the bolts more potent. If kzel's plan works, wood will have much less critical value, so the decision was deemed a good one, even by an increasingly unhappy mayor, the only dwarf to complain despite having nothing to do but brew drinks all day.

While the 10 man squad of marksmen was getting bored guarding the bridge, a loud footstep was heard and the nearby pond started to ripple like crazy. A mighty roar announced the presence of a powerful beast, a roar seemingly coming from two voices at once! Hood immediately knew what the creature it came from was : an Ettin. A powerful giant with two heads, that can smash bones and trample dwarves as ants. The titan was however slow and clumsy, and despite its size couldn't cross the waist-high water or the small gap the settlement had as only structural defense.

Predictably, it beelined to the bridge, and the sharpshooters were ready for him. A volley of bolts was fired, and another, and another. The beast at first shrugged off the weak bolts, but as more and more of them hit critical area best left unmentionned, it started to pull back. However, a cease fire was not an option, and such a big target provided very good training for the least experienced members of the squad. The army started to pursue a little further down the bridge, while one soldiers rushed in melee after running out of ammo.

The situation was possibly dangerous were the ettin to strike back, but all the two heads could think about now was retreat. Bolts were still raining down on each of them, and the wilderness wasn't far. After nearly exhausting all of the squad's ammo, the beast went down, falling from the grievous wounds it had suffered.

Upon hearing the soldiers report, Kzel was unhappy. What if an ambush, or worse, a siege was to come now ? Producing more bolts would take time, and still not all dwarves had received their due. Wasting their bolts in the pursuit of the beast while it was clearly fleeing was something they could *not* afford. Grumbling, he ordered the beast left laying on the ground instead of butchered, its huge skeleton hopefully deterring any willing invader from venturing forth.

Alas, as soon as things calmed down a bit, a snatcher was spotted as it came out of stealth to strike at one of Kzel's children ! An outrage such as this was unbearable for the recent father. All nearby civilians opened fire at once on the goblin, who did not have any time to bag its victim. Fleeing away towards the bridge, it encountered the military dwarves, and they opened fire on the master thief too. Caught in a crossfire of bolts, the nimble goblin somehow still managed to make it out to the bridge, and almost escaped, until finally a stray shot put an end to him.

Now that the pump stack's casing was complete and floor were being dug out to provide links between pumps, the question of power was next. Knowing close to nothing on the matter, Kzel chose to follow Billybobfred's earlier design, gathering energy through great wooden machines turning with the wind. They would need a lot to power the 35 pumps and the safety mechanisms every 6m, built to prevent a global collapse were one pump's construction canceled or another otherwise destroyed.

The closest safe area was near the danger room, a room full of spikes that had seen little use since Kzel came in power. Above it a giant flooring operation was started, leaving holes here and there to provide connection to the ground layer of gears and axles. They needed about 400 power units for the pump stack if estimates were accurate, and the production facility would use up many gears and axles that would need energy as well. After a tiring work for all architects, mechanics and carpenters, it became apparent the goal was widely overshot.

The contraption was providing nearly 1000 power units, while only requiring a couple hundred. The power they had at their disposal was therefore almost the double of what they needed. Unwilling to dismantle the device that took long weeks to build, Kzel made a note of the available power and its easy access for anything else requiring it. Maybe more pumps could be added later. Maybe they could even use it to dry the moat and replace the water with magma. Leaving such ideas for later, he returned to the construction of glass components.

Indeed, as amazing and unbelievable as it was, the glassmakers were the late element of the construction. Everything was ready, save for 5 pumps still missing some critical pieces. The massive ranks of masons, now without jobs, were started on paving the magma supply and cistern, to prevent some pesky tree from growing and blocking the flow. The wood burners were converted to ore smelters, and started building some magma workshops in the area their furnace previously was. The rest was tasked with hauling back up all the metal Draignean and his team of miner had dug out in the meantime, about a 100 units each of Galena and Tetrahedrite. That would be enough ore to provide the metal needed to outfit Airfail with its first squad of hammerdwarves, and also make yet more bolts.

Finally, as spring was getting to an end, the final pump component were finished. Kzel and his team dismantled their furnace to build their magma counterpart while architects were laying the final pumps, and soon everything would be ready. The pump stack had been tested level by level by dwarf power and the design deemed safe. For safety, two stopping options were built, a first lever controlling access to power while the other opened or closed a hatch covering the input tile of the whole machinery. All that was left now was to built the remaining pumps, and finally connect the power to the tower of pumps so they can start doing their work.

That's spring over, the migration to 31.21 went without a hitch and the magma pump is almost completely finished. I'll get started on crafting some copper armor and silver war hammer for a melee squad, and continue work on the surrounding wall.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 10:02:41 pm »

Wait, permission to use No Exotics or remove the Exotic tag from the raws? I could be, the very best. That no one ever was.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12