Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18

Author Topic: Craftsthunder, a 31.19-.21 Succession Fort [Strike the earth! Apply within.]  (Read 25020 times)

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Craftsthunder, a 31.19 Succession Fort [Strike the earth! Apply within.]
« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2011, 11:25:02 am »

If you want you can recycle the 30 or so iron spikes I put over the brook, they are probably not very useful now. Each tile had 3 so they ought to go a long way. I don't know how much you mined but I found a second cluster of magnetite if you look a z-level below and a little down from the old one. The tunnel stops right where it hits magnetite since I was using mostly novice miners at the time.

Also, I'm a legendary carpenter.  :D If you don't have other plans for it, would you mind replacing the platinum coffin in my tomb with my artifact?
Memento Mori

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2011, 11:32:55 am »

hahaha great update  :)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2011, 01:54:34 pm »

Mmmm, goblinite.

I find your maim-o-matic... appealing. :D MOAR DEATH! MOAR DEATH!!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2011, 02:40:06 pm »

Yeah, that's how I got it so I passed it on that way. Don't ask me why.  :o

Yeah, I uploaded the entire save because I haven't got a clue of how to extract or install saves. x~x

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's really easy. Just go to the save folder in the data folder and upload whatever region the fort is in.  :)
Memento Mori

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If we're using mods or graphics packs I would prefer we move the whole folder.

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

24 Galena

Time to plunder, time to continue the pressure washer plans, time for a bridge-a-pult battery. In times of invasion a single lever need be pulled on repeat (or as you wish) to fling, crunch or atom smash gobbos hapless enough to enter the semi-randomly placed kill zones.

25 Galena

A new ambush? In the bottom of the maim-o-matic? What an odd place to ambush. Anyhow, the design of it is such that any foe climbing up either the ramp or stairs from the bottom must go through traps at the top. Let's have some more action. Military back to battle stations!

Oh, perhaps the ambushers had already triggered the traps and went down the maim-o-matic first and the plunder party found them? I'm saying this because the engraver that was pilfering was cornered, and punched the goblin into unconsciousness before running.

The maim-o-matic continues to work a treat, and the engraver returns to pummel some more crippled goblins, that's the spirit!

Heh, and a snatcher showed up to ambush too. Too bad for him that he ambushed a marksdwarf and copped a bolt for his troubles, or several bolts that is.

More maim-o-matic action later, and some mop up by the militia, the goblins are splattered except for one or two who ran while we had fun with their former comrades.

Back to work!

15 Limestone

Drainage of the system is installed as is the related fortifications, floodgates and grates to ensure it is only used for water and no goblinite is lost. The bulk of the digging is finally done after much interruptions and the installations of the components for the flooding and power systems can begin.

9 Sandstone

The flooding supply system is nearly done except for the breaching, which I'll have done at the very end of the process when the rest is done. In the meantime the workers won't place the gear assemblies for the power station for some reason and won't dump the rocks, so after some work arounds I've ordered a slightly different placement. Oh wait, the reservoir might not get a supply during the winter (and I haven't checked the system will simply ice up and clog if used during winter), hmmm, may need to breach soon instead.

13 Sandstone

Some carving of fortifications into the maim-o-matic to allow flow of flooding there if wish has also begun. The upper reservoir (post pump) has had some nozzles installed with some floodgates, this way later builders can easily redirect pumped water where they need to (some assembly required). Oh, and some more migrants, sheesh.

Damn, now the lazy bastards don't want to install axles over the tiles with rock in them, and won't move the rock, what the hell? I guess I'll have to custom build some dodgy platforms on the surface or something then.

3 Timber

Pumps, windmills, controls all nearly done at long last. Oh, and now the damn bastards are dumping the rocks I told them too months before, after I no longer need them dumped, bah!

16 Timber

The pressure washer phase 1 is complete. The test run reveals that a long bridge can allow a wide release for lots of knockdown. Below is a picture of the test run in action, also visible are one of the bridge-a-pults and also the nozzles on the upper reservoir. I think it'll allow plenty of options for future fun. Now I have to get ready to trade with the mountainhome caravan and figure out my final mini-project during my tenure.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel

Playing with water is fun!

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

20 Timber

As the traders unload and we haul goods to the depot a speardwarf has withdrawn from society and claimed a mason's workshop, meh, there's booze to be bought!

6 Moonstone

The trade and liason business is done, and the speardwarf has made a slate bed. Slate! The name is great too, the 'Dream of Weirds'. That's it, I'm declaring myself captain of the guard so that it may be protected. A captain of the guard will need a decent bedroom, office and dining hall too of course. Oh, we need to expand the grave alcoves and perhaps make a dorm for the migrants. I've noticed that the icing up renders the pressure washer unavailable during the winter. I think however the icing up can still implement some fun ways to execute gobbos: big retracting bridges over shallow pits partly (but not fully) filled with water so that they become gobcicles! The work must begin immediately!

8 Opal

As request, the wooden casket of doom has replaced the platinum tomb previously designated for our carpenter lord. As chief merchanic and beat down provider I've been a bit busy ordering lots of new magnetite deposits to be mined, so I hope my rooms don't get delayed too much in the process. Oh, and scouts spotted some giant beakless crow critter in the caverns, but access to it is bricked up currently.

28 Obsidian

Year's end, managed to get my rooms done on time. They are relatively modest compared to some, so hopefully I'll keep them in the new regime. I've been quite busy ordered as many new items to be made as possible so my successor will have as many options as possible. I didn't get to finish the next phases of my defences but the building blocks are there for new visions to take hold easily. Now it's time to rest and think.

My new rooms:

My thoughts:

Our status:

The newer bridge based defences, under construction:

and who can forget the maim-o-matic, the bottom level of which is shown here smeared with the blood of our foes

I wish our next overseer all the best.

ooc: save uploading now, will edit in link once its ready

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

What exactly is the maim-o-matic?

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Essentially it is a path that you can make the invaders go along at the flick of a lever to close the everyday access bridges, which is why the sensor animals are important for early warning. Once they enter they have to path along a series of traps, a few (those guarding the everyday access points) are more stacked with weapons, but most just have a simple iron spiked ball to trigger dodging. Once they dodge, there is a good chance they'll dodge into open space and thus fall down 7 or so z levels and go crunch. I had started to put some iron spikes there but that's only along the early parts of it. The pit has a ramp and a set of stairs for maintenance access, both of which are placed so that any invaders have to pass by more traps to progress to the fort or to try to leave. The pressure washer section has fortifications, so when the bridge for that is applied (when the water isn't iced up) it can flow through and flood the whole area in time (or just knock some gobbos down the pit). There is a drainage outlet below the pit which can be activated to get rid of the water.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

You... you... you TORTURER!
I want to play this sooner :(
Where did you get the information that spiked balls trigger dodging, by the way?

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any combat has a chance really so weapons traps can trigger a dodge (not always though, of course). Serrated disks and spiked balls each get three goes when used as trap parts and so I figure the spiked balls are more chance of maiming rather than outright slice-killing while still increasing the chance for gobbos to dodge themselves down a cliff :D

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sweet!
I'm hoping to have my turn done by the end of the weekend.

Any requests?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18