Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: Craftsthunder, a 31.19-.21 Succession Fort [Strike the earth! Apply within.]  (Read 25023 times)

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Craftsthunder, a 31.19 Succession Fort [Strike the earth! Apply within.]
« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2011, 02:19:39 am »

It's really just a big pit that invaders are forced to walk nearby (after pulling the appropriate lever and shutting the everyday access bridges). Said route is lined with traps and the gobbos dodge themselves onto open space and down 7 z levels. Shouldn't be enough to kill them entirely, but maim heavily. That way our militia can practice on the cripples, hehe. There is also a ramp and stairwell for maintenance access (not connected to the main fort), so it'll be easy enough to install a drain system for it when phase two (high pressure washer) is implemented. It just took a season to get phase 1 done because the herding cats, er, dwarves, took up time. I like my projects to have usable intermediary stages. Oh and I have expendable animals chained up outside at approach points, so that the gobbos attack those first and provide enough warning of ambushes and so that the appropriate bridges can be raised.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:21:13 am by Ale Explosion »

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2011, 02:23:04 am »

Oh. I gotcha. From your other post I thought it was a noble suicide booth, though that would be a little pointless since you an change the mayor at will. I'll still be interested to see it though.  :)
Memento Mori

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2011, 04:51:19 am »

Hmm, I suppose I can put a suicide booth annex into the high pressure washer system. A small bedroom that they can be assigned to and locked in. It's to keep you away from the riff-raff my lord and don't worry about that 'floodgate' over there, that's merely decoration. :D

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2011, 06:32:16 am »

Sign me up for a turn, please. Also, I would like to be dorfed as Dariush, any legendary dwarf, or mechanic or weaponsmith in case of absence of legendaries.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:48:06 am by Dariush »

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2011, 09:34:51 am »

Any other dorfings that need doing while I'm at it?

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2011, 09:47:20 am »

Have I been dwarfed as a dirt grubber yet?

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #141 on: March 07, 2011, 09:48:27 am »

Ahh! What about my mandate for adamantine items?
We must find adamantine, we must!!!

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #142 on: March 07, 2011, 09:49:28 am »

And please no more talk of creating a noble "device", I am the mayor after all.

Evilfuzzy, I'd like to take another turn later.
Can you add me to the list?

Sirdrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2011, 01:54:40 pm »

ill have a blast put me on the list

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2011, 02:13:48 pm »

Maim-o-matics are always fun. Glad to see the fort continues!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #145 on: March 07, 2011, 05:37:48 pm »

Maim-o-matics are always fun. Glad to see the fort continues!

I agree. This project will greatly improve the fortress defences.

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 07, 2011, 05:48:16 pm »

Ahh! What about my mandate for adamantine items?
We must find adamantine, we must!!!

I forgot to mention it before, but the adamantine demand changed to a 'no export of maces' one right as the elf merchants came. Easiest way to ensure no exports was to remove those merchants ;)

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 07, 2011, 07:13:25 pm »

He likes his maces. He mandated we make two which I made of the abundant iron and stuck in one of the weapons traps, if you haven't moved them to make room for the new stuff.
Memento Mori

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2011, 06:32:08 am »

Bishop X and Dariush dorfed. Not sure what a dirt grubber is so I renamed a peon. Dariush got a combo: legendary weaponsmith. Such a profession requires a custom profession name, so in light of your avatar of a dwarf burning, you are hereby of the 'burninator' profession.

Anyhow, I'm back in action, summer update should be in an hour or two.

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2011, 09:30:36 am »

11 Hematite

As some more weapon traps are set to complement the maim-o-matic, I've also commissioned some iron spikes to line the bottom, to increase the value of course (amusement value that is). I've also marked out some tunnels and chambers to be dug out (from the maintenance access to the maim-o-matic, so that it doesn't make the fort at risk of flooding, much). Anyhow, the lumber supply is low and we'll need that for a power plant so die forests die! Iron pipes and screws to be made also.

12 Hematite

Yuck, those elves sure are stinky sorts, especially once dead, better set up a refuse dumping spot outside.

21 Hematite

Damn, out of magnatite, must look for more. Double drat, those lazy dirt grubbers haven't removed the rotting ex elf items. I've ordered them to dismantle the trade depot until they've done that.

22 Hematite

Rebuilding the depot, and marked out a spot for a big 'misc stockpile' for anything I can think of that needs to be out of the way. Digging is going slowly, may need to consider the need to make more picks. Also need some traction benches apparently to heal the two wounded dwarves.

9 Malachite

Digging is going quite slow, I fear that my gift to future engineers of pressurised water may be just a pipe dream. A pipe dream disturbed by Agatharchides as he runs off to some workshop, ranting about.

15 Malachite

That crazy has finally finished hogging the carpenter's workshop, carrying out the 'Dull Battle', a cedar casket glazed with cedar (not sure how that works), encircled with bands of giant olm leather and rock crystal and has spikes of rock crystal.

22 Malachite

More migrants, more damn distractions from the flushinator construction. Fine, hurry in you sods, and get cracking on that digging and pump making!

19 Galena

With more picks available, the digging is going nicely, and with the tree genecide mostly successful for now the organisation of the place has improved as bins and barrels are made. Time however to test the maim-o-matic in its preliminary phase, as goblins have just ambushed a poor hunter. Ring the alarms, muster the squads, pull the maim-o-matic channeling lever!

A picture of the maim-o-matic, some pre-existing defences (and some slight extensions) as well as some cleared out sections of the pressure washer.

Battle report (23 Galena):

The hunter managed to shoot one of his assailants in the leg before being swarmed and struck down. We shall remember you, brave impromptu marksdwarf!

The bridges went up fine and everyone is running to battle stations. The uninjured goblins are milling around as the wounded one is left to crawl away, passing out often.

As the last few outside dwarves run for the safety of the maim-o-matic, a snatcher is spotted.

Eventually, after killing a sensor unit bird (might need more animals for a better detection network) the goblins approach the maim-o-matic, seen here is the first real victim, which is the say the first to make it the self-maim-o-matic as he has dodged off the cliff.

Weeeeeeee!! SPLAT! CRUNCH! The first victim got mincemeated, landing on an iron spike (which due to the temporary iron shortage only cover a certain section). The goblin crossbow leader shown here still somewhat alive landed on rock.

Time to send the melee squad in for practice! Hehehehehe!

As the goblins were being slaughtered, one voluntereed to volunteer a steel clad dwarf to ensure that the fall and spikes were also effective against armour. Success! Mwahahahaha.

That crafty goblin crossbow leader shots some more shots to make dwarves dodge to their doom. Fascinating! I vote we continue to attack to see how long this goblin can last. After all, we still have the crossbow squad and maim-o-matic to defend us.

A macedwarf remembers that there is a maintenance access and comes up to the goblin crossbow leader from behind and bashes his goblin brains out from behind.

Alert cancelled, back to work everybody, showtime is over for now.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18