Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34

Author Topic: Missing Metals  (Read 90761 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Metals
« Reply #255 on: February 18, 2011, 12:25:18 am »

Who can complain about the lack of metal, when you can farm on soil wthout mud?

*Hugs new version*
Never leave again!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 18, 2011, 12:30:29 am »

You'll leave it as soon as a new one comes.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 18, 2011, 12:32:15 am »

I'd just like to know why such a huge game changer is being forced on us when the caravan arc is nowhere near complete. "It's alpha!" doesn't cut it, it was just a bad idea to screw everyone over to the point where there are reports that dwarven civs couldn't even make anvils and the trade system is still no better than it ever was.
Sorry, I'm usually against such language but shut your fucking mouth.  A) This is alpha is an excuse.  Everyone admits that this is a work in progress and no one has promised you anything.  Nowhere does it say that anyone is required to put out a quality gaming experience during alpha stage, nor is anyone even claiming that the game is balanced at all.  B) No one is FORCING you to do anything.  Every, singe, release, is available for download.  All versions from start to current are RIGHT THERE within casual clicking range.  No one is forcing you to do anything.  You chose to download .19, you chose to generate a new world, and you chose to butthurt over it.  You can go RIGHT BACK and download .18 and play it all you want.  There are games that force updates, primarily MMO games with an auto-patcher.  Dwarf Fortress is not one of these.  You are never required to get the new version, and your older version will never be taken away.  So shut your mouth and stop spewing garbage.

That goes for everyone else complaining about the changes.  Go back to .18, or submit a civilized, readable suggestion for changes and balance, but you're doing no one any good by griping pointlessly about an incomplete release schedule.

Whoa!
Please keep this civil.
Considering how immature, whiny, and just plain rude some of the complainers are, I'd say Girlinhat is being quite civil.  Or to phrase it another way, my 5yo son is more mature than the folks complaining  (to paraphrase) "ZOMG, Toady sucks cuase he took away the metalz!"

Its a game.  Its an Alpha release.  Its the first release in a new arc.  Oh, and Toady seems quite good at getting things fixed ... sure some things still aren't fixed (e.g., bone artifacts) but he is setting himself a time frame, and trying to balance adding new with fixing what needs it.

Wow. Do you know the point of alpha? It's to continually test, fix, and enhance a game. So when you think about it, the fact it's alpha gives us more reason to complain. It's not use bitching about a game that been made and done, but this is activelly being developed. How is toady gonna know if people are having problems with his game if you all freak at every complaint. Honestly it's what we all should be doing so toady can make the game as good as it can be. I can just see you working at a games development company. Person 1 "the beta testers say theres a bug with shotguns shooting four miles with sniper rifle precision", person 2 "they are just being immature and whiny, tell them to fuck off and shut up".

Completely agree.

Who can complain about the lack of metal, when you can farm on soil wthout mud?

*Hugs new version*
Never leave again!

Yeah, i like the new farming. I only found out about it after I had installed a flood gate.
Also, how are you hugging the game if it doesnt come in a box or cd form? Are you carressing the ethernet cable as you download it?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 18, 2011, 12:32:52 am »

Let's hope he's only caressing...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 18, 2011, 12:33:08 am »

You'll leave it as soon as a new one comes.

I know, but for now I want to take it home and hug it. I shall abandon it on the street for it's younger sister once it gets too old.

Let's hope he's only caressing...
I plead the fifth.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 18, 2011, 01:38:48 am »

Cool though the thought of having bees, eggs, and realistic livestock raising is, I'm gonna wait a bit. After all, isn't it always the odd numbered updates that are buggy and don't have all the features set up? (Or am I remembering it wrong...) Given that there'll be "bugfixes" and other tweaking in about a week or so, this thing with there being scarce metals will likely change. Also, we might get wagons back by then.

Though in the meantime, I'm going to put this out as a suggestion: set up catapults and ballista, and/or mod in CLAY/STONE PELLETS and SLINGS. Seriously, you could have an effective long-range defense right there! Also, roof collapsing traps and spike pits are a good idea till things get sorted out with metals.

Neopolis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 18, 2011, 06:29:44 am »

I don't see why people had so much trouble setting up a farm. Dig into a pool, seal it off afterwards, profit. You don't even need a mechanic.

In other news, my bismuth only fortress is failing.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 18, 2011, 07:00:10 am »

I think more clusters of stone would satisfy me. I appreciate metal being more meaningful when there is less of it, but I like to have something interesting on the other layers rather than just two types of rock and five gem groups.
Soaplent green is goblins!

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 18, 2011, 07:40:26 am »

This is the first time in a LONG time you have been so restricted on where you can go. It used to be that you could embark anywhere (pure mountains and pure oceans notwithstanding) and it would be possible to survive and thrive, albeit with some places being far more difficult than others. Now, the scarcity of metal means that some places are IMPOSSIBLE for you to survive or thrive, unless you literally wall yourselves in.
Not impossible, you just need to be creative.  The incredible forts were once just a matter of time and effort.  Now they are a matter of time, effort, ingenuity and dwarfawesomeness.

This is not a bad thing.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 18, 2011, 07:42:27 am »

This new metal scarcity reminds of the prologue to Boatmurdered:

In the year 1050, the dwarven civilization of Kinmelbil, "The Oaken Tomes", exhausted the last of its mines. Driven by lust for gold and rumors of the priceless and all but mythical metal adamantine, a team of seven colonists was dispatched to build a new home for the dwarves of Kinmelbil in the Smooth Points of Pride. The first year of diaries from the ill-fated foreman of the mine were recovered, giving some hint as to the beginnings of the fortress that once stood there, if not its mysterious and presumably gruesome fate...

So the game has gone full circle, in a way.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Sirdrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 18, 2011, 07:59:02 am »

cant you just mod it in the RAWs so their is more metal

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 18, 2011, 08:29:27 am »

This is the first time in a LONG time you have been so restricted on where you can go. It used to be that you could embark anywhere (pure mountains and pure oceans notwithstanding) and it would be possible to survive and thrive, albeit with some places being far more difficult than others. Now, the scarcity of metal means that some places are IMPOSSIBLE for you to survive or thrive, unless you literally wall yourselves in.
Not impossible, you just need to be creative.  The incredible forts were once just a matter of time and effort.  Now they are a matter of time, effort, ingenuity and dwarfawesomeness.

This is not a bad thing.

time, effort, ingenuity,dwarfawesomeness, not being screwed over by world gen making your civ without access to iron, steel or copper, not being screwed over by 99% of previously 'good' sites turning up metal-barren in world gen, and having to wait for the current caravan to bring 3 measly metal bars every year.

Look, I'm sure it will be better once the rest of the caravan arc is implemented, and caravans are bigger and the world isn't stuck in a permanent stone age. But the metal scarcity as it is now is just not good in any way. It will only be good once the trading infrastructure to support it exists, until then we are objectively worse off.

The magma has been breached before the piping and floodgates have been installed, if you will.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 18, 2011, 08:57:49 am »

until then we are objectively worse off.
Until then use modding and wait for fixes.

I am 100% sure that this thread does not deliver any new info as it grows. All has been said on the first page, and now it only accumulates insults and flame.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

spook54321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 18, 2011, 10:48:59 am »

truth be told, i have yet to have a problem finding iron.

...but i can't find a single gem, and one of my farmers is sitting in my leatherworks demanding a cut one.

in my search for gems i have uncovered not one...but four magnetite clusters...and i'm sitting on multiple dolomite layers...so no clue what your problem is.
It's the same reason why sharks don't attack lawyers, professional courtesy.

This (small) sig of mine

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 18, 2011, 10:53:15 am »

Huh... chill out, everybody. As many others said, there are the previous versions. The new one literally came out 2 days ago only, and the "bug" is a pretty noticeable one one can catch early on. Plus, it's an alpha. That means the worsening in difficulty (I can't believe I'm saying DWARF FUCKING FORTRESS could be considered as having been "easy" in some way) is not only unintentional... but very probably gonna get fixed very, very soon.
Remember the 31.17 crashes? Fixed within the week in 31.18. Carps? Weren't supposed to be scaly demi-god of pain, and eventually got fixed. Iron? Wasn't supposed to be (almost) as good as several other metals for armor. Bone artifacts? Were fi... wait, they aren't fixed yet, but I haven't seen that many people outright bitch about it, despite the fact they ruined perfectly good materials in many forts. I should stop the list right now, because the point is that bugs, much like shit, happen, and since I doubt Toady's intention is to force us to fiddle with raws in order to make things remotely playable, it's only a matter of days, weeks at worst, before it's all better again.
Geez.
Shut down the computer. Go out. Walk a bit. Spend your energy for something else than a game which, while it is extremely lifelike already, isn't that important in the grand scheme of your life. Chill. Out.  ::)
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34