Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 34

Author Topic: Missing Metals  (Read 90762 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Metals
« Reply #240 on: February 17, 2011, 10:01:17 pm »

They aren't deleted, it's just your civ hasn't discovered iron :(
maybe we should mod in bronze and nickel anvils just to make this occur less often

there's steel anvils available, allways

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 17, 2011, 10:05:43 pm »

It's just that there are no cluster stones even... not even bauxite. I'm sure that toady will address this.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 17, 2011, 10:09:00 pm »

Okay I must admit that I just had a wonderful fort.

Without any stone but Dacite, and not much of that due to annoying three layer aquifer, I was forced to have a farm economy.  Do you guys have any idea how much Dwarven Sugar and milled flour is worth?  I'll never underestimate the worth of a Miller again!  Wow!

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 17, 2011, 10:12:51 pm »

Anvils can be not available. This has to be a bug guys. Don't worry. Just go with it till 31.20. In the mean time either mod or just think of it as a challenge mode.
The dwarves seem to not be able to survive very well right now. I think Toady didn't model their version of farming right so most dwarf civs have only 1 or 2 sites. This leads to their absence of resources.
Upping the BIOME_SUPPORT tags in the entity may fix this. I have to go to work so I'll test it in the morning.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #244 on: February 17, 2011, 11:15:20 pm »

Remember, you can maximize the amount of metal that the caravan brings by asking for crafts, toys, trap components etc. Some of it will be metal. And then you can have the joy of manually marking all of it for melting  :P
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 17, 2011, 11:39:56 pm »

I'd just like to know why such a huge game changer is being forced on us when the caravan arc is nowhere near complete. "It's alpha!" doesn't cut it, it was just a bad idea to screw everyone over to the point where there are reports that dwarven civs couldn't even make anvils and the trade system is still no better than it ever was.
Sorry, I'm usually against such language but shut your fucking mouth.  A) This is alpha is an excuse.  Everyone admits that this is a work in progress and no one has promised you anything.  Nowhere does it say that anyone is required to put out a quality gaming experience during alpha stage, nor is anyone even claiming that the game is balanced at all.  B) No one is FORCING you to do anything.  Every, singe, release, is available for download.  All versions from start to current are RIGHT THERE within casual clicking range.  No one is forcing you to do anything.  You chose to download .19, you chose to generate a new world, and you chose to butthurt over it.  You can go RIGHT BACK and download .18 and play it all you want.  There are games that force updates, primarily MMO games with an auto-patcher.  Dwarf Fortress is not one of these.  You are never required to get the new version, and your older version will never be taken away.  So shut your mouth and stop spewing garbage.

That goes for everyone else complaining about the changes.  Go back to .18, or submit a civilized, readable suggestion for changes and balance, but you're doing no one any good by griping pointlessly about an incomplete release schedule.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 17, 2011, 11:44:57 pm »

I'd just like to know why such a huge game changer is being forced on us when the caravan arc is nowhere near complete. "It's alpha!" doesn't cut it, it was just a bad idea to screw everyone over to the point where there are reports that dwarven civs couldn't even make anvils and the trade system is still no better than it ever was.
Sorry, I'm usually against such language but shut your fucking mouth.  A) This is alpha is an excuse.  Everyone admits that this is a work in progress and no one has promised you anything.  Nowhere does it say that anyone is required to put out a quality gaming experience during alpha stage, nor is anyone even claiming that the game is balanced at all.  B) No one is FORCING you to do anything.  Every, singe, release, is available for download.  All versions from start to current are RIGHT THERE within casual clicking range.  No one is forcing you to do anything.  You chose to download .19, you chose to generate a new world, and you chose to butthurt over it.  You can go RIGHT BACK and download .18 and play it all you want.  There are games that force updates, primarily MMO games with an auto-patcher.  Dwarf Fortress is not one of these.  You are never required to get the new version, and your older version will never be taken away.  So shut your mouth and stop spewing garbage.

That goes for everyone else complaining about the changes.  Go back to .18, or submit a civilized, readable suggestion for changes and balance, but you're doing no one any good by griping pointlessly about an incomplete release schedule.

Whoa!
Please keep this civil.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 17, 2011, 11:47:17 pm »

Sorry, but the whole "change forced on us" thing is just too lame for me not to get angry at.  That'll work with auto-patching, but not here.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 17, 2011, 11:56:35 pm »

Sorry, but the whole "change forced on us" thing is just too lame for me not to get angry at.  That'll work with auto-patching, but not here.

I hate auto patching, the one they use for Steam is a real deal breaker as it checks for new updates every time you connect to the internet and will take 10 - 20 minutes to download. DF works much better with each release working as a seperate game.
I should stop or else this discussion might go off on a tangent

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 18, 2011, 12:00:03 am »

So I finaly got a spair moment to play.
First level into stone, I insantly hit tetrahedrite. Second level down? Tetrahedrite. Third down? You guess it! Nothing! But fouth down was tetrahedrite. Just digging down and I have three veins of tetrahedrite, so I don't yet know what you are all on about.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 18, 2011, 12:00:48 am »

Whoa!
Please keep this civil.
Considering how immature, whiny, and just plain rude some of the complainers are, I'd say Girlinhat is being quite civil.  Or to phrase it another way, my 5yo son is more mature than the folks complaining  (to paraphrase) "ZOMG, Toady sucks cuase he took away the metalz!"

Its a game.  Its an Alpha release.  Its the first release in a new arc.  Oh, and Toady seems quite good at getting things fixed ... sure some things still aren't fixed (e.g., bone artifacts) but he is setting himself a time frame, and trying to balance adding new with fixing what needs it.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 18, 2011, 12:11:00 am »

*Broke into the caverns*
No sign of any metal here.  :D I like this, I could get used to this. My stone crafters once again have use, and my weapon smith is a position of high affority. Gone are the days of half my fort always at the magma forges producing more metal then I ever need, in are the days or trading goods for a reason, because you need those metal ores. I may even come to use bone armour! Happy days!

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 18, 2011, 12:13:19 am »

Whoa!
Please keep this civil.
Considering how immature, whiny, and just plain rude some of the complainers are, I'd say Girlinhat is being quite civil.  Or to phrase it another way, my 5yo son is more mature than the folks complaining  (to paraphrase) "ZOMG, Toady sucks cuase he took away the metalz!"

Its a game.  Its an Alpha release.  Its the first release in a new arc.  Oh, and Toady seems quite good at getting things fixed ... sure some things still aren't fixed (e.g., bone artifacts) but he is setting himself a time frame, and trying to balance adding new with fixing what needs it.

Some people have really been losing it with the new update and the like. While debate and arguements are all good, acutally insulting people is sort of going a little too far. as for the alpha release, it is not unplayable but very different and harder than what a lot of us was expecting. I was very harsh with my first assessment of the metal situation but I'm now enjoying the style. But that does not mean that i dont want trace metals thrown in as well.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 18, 2011, 12:18:29 am »

Yes, let's please keep it cool guys. The other side may have been rude, but two wrongs don't make a right, as they say.  ;) I'm generally happy with the trend, though it needs trade and this might be a good time to look at those long neglected alluvial deposits.
Memento Mori

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 18, 2011, 12:24:52 am »

Whoa!
Please keep this civil.

Wow. Do you know the point of alpha? It's to continually test, fix, and enhance a game. So when you think about it, the fact it's alpha gives us more reason to complain. It's not use bitching about a game that been made and done, but this is activelly being developed. How is toady gonna know if people are having problems with his game if you all freak at every complaint. Honestly it's what we all should be doing so toady can make the game as good as it can be. I can just see you working at a games development company. Person 1 "the beta testers say theres a bug with shotguns shooting four miles with sniper rifle precision", person 2 "they are just being immature and whiny, tell them to fuck off and shut up".
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 34