Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: What you DONT want in DF?  (Read 29627 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: What you DONT want in DF?
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2011, 12:23:45 am »

Having read through that thread, NW_Kohaku, (well, some of it. It's long and I'm exhausted), I think it sounds reasonable. It seems it's less about dwarves being magical and more about dwarves manipulating and being influenced by various types of magical enviroments? There's a good deal more to your idea than that, but that's what I'm understanding right now, I think.

That's a fairly good synopsis of it.  I also want to make a "magical biome" become more of an ecosystem that is run on magic. 

The "evil biome" right now is a pretty good example of this, unlike the good or savage types, since evil zones have their own grass, shrubs, trees, animals, zombie plants, zombie animals, and other oddball stuff.  It's certainly a place I wouldn't want to live, but it has the whole package.  Right now, "good" means "Just like everywhere else but you get fairies, sunberries, and fluffy wamblers.  Maybe a unicorn if you're well behaved."

Basically, I want to go beyond just that, and have varying levels of magical saturation that can gradually take over the ecosystem.

I don't want realistic cave-in mechanics.

Or rock bursts.
But both of those things sound dead sexy! I mean I'm the kind of guy who not only installed the dangerouse mining mod, leading to the death of any dwarf who dares dig through coal, but I also made similar effects for any aspestose based rock, and topped it off with poisen herbs. So one could say I like a hard game...

Giving miners black lung on the first seam of lignite they strike seems a little vindictive to me.  Still, at least that's something that's controllable.  You can just avoid coal if you want, or roll 1d6 to decide which lucky mining contestant gets specifically chosen to die horribly in his/her coal dust-soaked burrow, as opposed to all those other accidental ones.

As for cave-in mechanics, I can see liking them.  There needs to be some reasonable means of displaying to the player, however, how much support needs to be built for any given thing, or how much weight is bearing down on a support.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2011, 12:06:40 pm »

What i don't want?

More calculations and more complex path finding.

But the worst addition would be Time-limit (like in many sandbox games!)
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2011, 10:39:49 pm »

Dwarves shouldn't get black lung. If anything they should get white lung from too much fresh air. Dwarven merchants would need to smoke pipes when travelling above ground in order to compensate.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2011, 11:12:37 pm »

Dwarves shouldn't get black lung. If anything they should get white lung from too much fresh air. Dwarven merchants would need to smoke pipes when travelling above ground in order to compensate.

But then you'd have to craft pipes for wood cutters and such. Not to mention those who have above ground portions of their bases.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 25, 2011, 01:34:15 am »

Man, if more advanced cave-in mechanics are never added, I would be one sad pony.  Building a five-level-high cathedral should be challenging.  Pillars should exist for a reason which is not "to magically explode when triggered".

What I don't want is waste contaminants with more detailed names than "waste", or "dwarven waste", or whatever.  Drowning elves in waste is disgusting but, ultimately, all in good fun.  Drowning them in specific biological waste of specific consistency is...ugh, going too far, and not something I want to see in every third goddamned screen shot that anyone ever posts to advertise the game.

Plus, when I'm exploring the sewers, it should be my CHARACTER throwing up.  Not me.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2011, 06:01:00 am »

Actually, a 'wizard' noble who turns up if you meet certain conditions, and can perform certain useful services in return for a small chance of completely random side-effects like reanimating all the dead in the graveyard or turning all the booze into GCS venom or just setting himself on fire could be an interesting late-game challenge.

This is exactly sort of magic is the sort I don't want.  A wizard noble who sets things on fire randomly is getting an unfortunate accident.  I don't care what sorts of supposedly useful things he can do, he's getting an unfortunate accident.
I still think a more subtle way of weaving magic into the world is best, but the way Zach described a Dwarven wizard casting magical medieval robots from iron in his mountain lair in my ASCII reward made it sound so tempting...
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2011, 06:07:20 am »

?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2011, 08:23:45 am »

But then you'd have to craft pipes for wood cutters and such. Not to mention those who have above ground portions of their bases.

I'd love it if tobacco were added to the game. Dwarves should smoke pipes from time to time, just like Gimli.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2011, 08:58:01 am »

?

... Only if there is a spatial puzzle mini-game involving putting items inside of the golem to program it to perform different attacks during different conditions.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 26, 2011, 01:27:19 pm »

Dwarves should smoke pipes from time to time, just like Gimli.
Yeah, game is not enough FUN w/out dorfs setting things on fire randomly.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 26, 2011, 02:30:36 pm »

What I dont want to see in DF, Gnomes.  Dear Jesus, I soooooo farking hate them.  And yes, i know............
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #176 on: February 26, 2011, 02:38:02 pm »

What I dont want to see in DF, Gnomes.  Dear Jesus, I soooooo farking hate them.  And yes, i know............
You know what? That they're already in the game? Those buggers sneak around and guzzle mah BOOZE! Also, they're apparently the arch-enemies of the Kobolds.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2011, 02:58:36 pm »

You know what? That they're already in the game? Those buggers sneak around and guzzle mah BOOZE! Also, they're apparently the arch-enemies of the Kobolds.
Guess i was wrong about kobolds, they ain't all bad.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2011, 03:08:49 pm »

I keep cage traps around my booze stocks. I hope to breed them as tame animals and turn them into personal bodyguards.

Also, they're not that bad if you've got enough sense to protect your booze.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2011, 03:29:13 pm »

I keep cage traps around my booze stocks. I hope to breed them as tame animals and turn them into personal bodyguards.

Also, they're not that bad if you've got enough sense to protect your booze.
You can breed gnomes?!

...Please tell me I can make war gnomes.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16