Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Cheap Food  (Read 2706 times)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap Food
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 02:16:15 pm »

One ambush can take out ~25 dogs. That's the problem.

Of course, not many other people apply 50 dogs to one dwarf and consider it their "Army"
i killed a 2 headed ettin with 2 dwarves, one of which had turtle shell armor and an iron mace, the other had turtle shell armor and an iron axe.
but both of them had 8 dogs assigned.
neither us, nor 15 of the dogs ever took a hit, it was so busy escaping from all the holds from the dogs.
Animals can be great against unarmed, unarmored living enemies like semimegabeasts; they can even put a pretty good dent into end-game-stuff.  Armored goblins are a different story, though.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 02:19:19 pm »

That's what dogs are good for.  They're like little disposable wrestlers!  They don't do a lot of damage, but they get holds, which distracts any enemy into submission.  War bears, by contract, just bite off whole limbs.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 04:04:41 pm »

And you have to sell food in barrels. I don't like to sell barrels. Wood is much more limited than glass or stone.

No you don't... If you have a stockpile for prepared foods with barrels disabled, and only sell prepared meals, then no barrels get sold.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 04:07:14 pm »

That is, if you do that.  If you try selling plump helmets, then you need a lot of stockpile space for those lack of barrels.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 04:10:09 pm »

That is, if you do that.  If you try selling plump helmets, then you need a lot of stockpile space for those lack of barrels.

Selling raw plump helmets is plain silly when you could brew them into booze and make roasts out of the booze (+ a little meat or something else solid).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 04:19:54 pm »

Silly to you, but perhaps that's my desired play style.  Don't discount something as silly when it's a single-player sandbox game.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 06:11:25 pm »

I guess I've never traded anything in barrels, but I trade the contents of bins all the time.  In the trade screen, I just select every item in the bin but not the bin itself--this is tedious, but I have an empty bin at the end.  Is that not possible with barrels?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 06:13:39 pm »

Nope, barrels sell by the barrel, not individually.

EDIT: Also bags, but that makes more sense.  "Here, take these 500 individual seeds!"

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 06:18:15 pm »

Silly to you, but perhaps that's my desired play style.  Don't discount something as silly when it's a single-player sandbox game.

Then don't bitch about selling barrels when it is completely up to you whether you have to do so or not...  Complaining about results of your 'desired play style' truly is silly.

:-X

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 06:19:58 pm »

Then you better not bitch about any bug ever.  Your desire to use the hospital is yours alone, and you can just as easily not use it.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 06:33:56 pm »

Then you better not bitch about any bug ever.  Your desire to use the hospital is yours alone, and you can just as easily not use it.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

Just sayin...

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 07:49:05 pm »

And you have to sell food in barrels. I don't like to sell barrels. Wood is much more limited than glass or stone.

You only need wood for beds, though, so you really only need 200 pieces of wood, max.

Granted, wood is the first thing I'd think of to make a barrel of, but if you have access to magma you'll probably have access to so many worthless metals that you can switch to mainly lead and zinc barrels, and the like.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 08:14:37 pm »

Of course, not many other people apply 50 dogs to one dwarf and consider it their "Army"

Ahah Im glad Im not the only one who does this.
I find it hilarious seeing one dwarf retiring to his 3x3 bedroom followed by 50 war dogs. I can just imagine him complaining about being lumbered with all these dogs, constantly covered in doghair, always getting his food stolen, never getting any sleep, not having any friends. Bahahahahah!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 08:16:18 pm »

Wood is required for beds, but also windmills, waterwheels, and axles.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 08:17:26 pm »

And steel, if you lack easy coke.
Pages: 1 [2] 3