Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cheap Food  (Read 2709 times)

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
Cheap Food
« on: February 12, 2011, 03:13:53 am »

I'm new to the game, and I realized in my last fort that quarry bush leaves are worth a mint. I'm a predictable mug crafter, and seeing food worth so much stopped me in my tracks. Food is, in my idea of Fun, worth too much to ever sell.

And dogs. Sure, you can make easy gains, but your dwarfs are dog-eaters.

I've seen people dispute danger rooms. I think the kitchen is the danger room. Yes,la cocina.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 03:45:43 am by GotIt_00 »

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap Food
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 03:37:30 am »

Oh, yes.  This is not new by any means.

I don't use danger rooms or prepared food trading.  NOT DWARFY ENOUGH.

Peaceful Slugman

• Bay Watcher
  • dont axe me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 03:37:58 am »

I have always maintained that stonecrafting is useless, considering that there are so many other skills that are both useful and profitable.

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 03:48:09 am »

I have always maintained that stonecrafting is useless, considering that there are so many other skills that are both useful and profitable.

You mean like selling dog roasts by the stack?

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 03:48:31 am »

Stonecrafting is a very fast method for removing stone that doesn't involve atom smashing or dump exploits.  It is also the easiest of the crafts to 100% automate, since it's one functionally-infinite source to one output.

Glassmaking was my favorite in 40d back when magma was easy to get, but I shamefully have not done much cave exploration in 0.31-- went over to Minecraft for a while when 0.31 was still really buggy, and now that it's more stable (and I got a new computer with a blazingly fast processor-- 80fps with 150 dwarves, rock on) I have returned.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 03:59:35 am »

You mean like selling dog roasts by the stack?
naw, man
once you get about 20 war dogs and 10 or so hunting dogs, you'll start churning out puppies faster than you know what to do with. every time a trader comes, cage em up, 5 to a cage, leaving the leftovers alone to continue breeding, and sell em.

i kinda dig the idea of my settlement being known the world over as the best dog breeders around.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 05:03:39 am »

One ambush can take out ~25 dogs. That's the problem.

Of course, not many other people apply 50 dogs to one dwarf and consider it their "Army"

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 05:07:53 am »

Of course, not many other people apply 50 dogs to one dwarf and consider it their "Army"
I do.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 05:27:12 am »

I am fond of drink and industry, so just cranking out millions of stone mugs is literally the BEST usage of my time.

Also, I like Resident Evil, so encrusting mugs is the greatest thing to do ever.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 09:07:18 am »

I don't sell food also because the imagined visual of an entire Z-level filled to the brim with food barrels is, well... delicious.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 10:49:40 am »

And you have to sell food in barrels. I don't like to sell barrels. Wood is much more limited than glass or stone.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 11:29:20 am »

By the time I've got farming sorted out I usually have more dwarves than I can feed without imports, so food of any kind is rather precious, especially since I'm too much of a dog-lover to feed them to my dwarves.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 12:36:04 pm »

I used to trade with stone crafts as it was easy to get a legendary stone crafter. Then I discovered how much quarry bush roasts were worth but after trading them for a while, it just seemed so easy. I'd never dent my food stock and still be able to buy about 5000 worth with a tip of 3000. Mega beast roasts are worth insane amounts too.

Now I tend to trade what ever I have lying around. I like to export a variety of things.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 01:35:36 pm »

I go with statues/weapons racks/armor stands myself.  With a few bars of anything and some charcoal or magma, you can keep re-melting things because they each produce 1 bar when melted, and cost 1 bar to make.  You can keep re-banging the statues until you get masterworks.  Buy a bar of platinum for like 250 from the caravan, turn it into a masterwork, undecorated statue worth like 9,000.  Plus, any statues that are of a particular image that you like, such as the foundation of the fort, or if you're like me and have an unhealthy obsession with foxes, then you can keep those for fortress use.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 02:09:57 pm »

One ambush can take out ~25 dogs. That's the problem.

i killed a 2 headed ettin with 2 dwarves, one of which had turtle shell armor and an iron mace, the other had turtle shell armor and an iron axe.
but both of them had 8 dogs assigned.
neither us, nor 15 of the dogs ever took a hit, it was so busy escaping from all the holds from the dogs.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!
Pages: [1] 2 3