Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 527140 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 3: Death of a Thousand Cuts
« Reply #8520 on: January 05, 2014, 12:40:43 am »

Moore grimaces, motioning you to follow him. "I don't know what we're going to find on the other side. We almost never do, not our job." He hands you a pad with a map on display without slowing. "This is what we should find. But, since we had to turn off the Hotlab alarms when we got here, I think it's a bit more complex than that. Pathogen alerts haven't been activated, so we shouldn't be killed by airborne contaminants as soon we crack the doors. At least, that's what the whitecoats say." Moore shrugs and stops beside the barricades his troops are assembling. The soldiers stop and salute as you approach. "Sergeant White," Moore says, pointing out a tall woman with a drill in one hand and a pintle mount in the other. "My second in command. Six years service as a trooper in Sol, transferred to HazRec three years ago for creative thinking in the field."
    In response to Moore's last remark a smile flickers on the Sergeant's face, disappearing before you're sure it's there. [Failed Roll Not Shown] White greets you respectfully, but Moore orders work on the barricade to resume before she says anything more.
    "White is good leader," Moore says to you in a hard, quiet voice as soon as you pass the barricades. "She's earned her posting ten times over, despite her service record. If the academy had let her continue, she'd have my job by now. Anyway, up here is my senior engineer, Argyle," Moore adds in more normal tone, pointing to one of the engineers that are actively cutting through the blast doors. "Don't bother trying to get his attention, he's working. Used to be maintenance, but that was a long time ago. You'll have to take his respects as given, Harlequin, he's still rough around the edges." Moore's collar chirps just as he finishes, and he motions for you to wait a moment. "Speak of the devil... Argyle, Report."
    [Observation 19] The radio is faint, and particularly difficult to hear over the sound of engineers, but you manage to make out most of what's being said to the Lieutenant. "Almost through, Sir. Should be another half minute. Whoever sealed this door never intended for it to be opened ever again... Tell me you got the bloody 'Quin to tell us what's actually going on here. I don't like tearing down walls when I don't know why they were put up in the first place."
    Moore nods. "Just let me know when the cut is finished. The Harlequin has arrived, so we're ready to proceed when you are."
    The sound of cutting hiccups for a second when Moore mentions that you're here. "She's bloody here? Did she hear me? God, am-"
    The faint sound of Argyle's voice cuts out as Moore closes the channel. "We're almost through," Moore relays to you calmly, "and Argyle sends regrets that he can't greet you formally. Now, this way. One last member of my team to meet," Moore explains as he walks over to the makeshift triage center. The soldiers helping the scientists stop and salute as they did at the barricades, but most of the scientists just give Moore a deferential nod before continuing their work.
   One of the them, a hulking man with the sword and loop of the Technocracy picked out in gold on his labcoat, approaches. "Harlequin Ayveen, it is a pleasure and honor to be working with you in the field. I heard about what you did at the Redfall trials, your devotion to justice is humbling." [Detect Lie Hidden] Oddly, considering that the rest of Moore's crew seems to pay you the bare minimum of deference, the man seems genuine in his praise and respect.
   Moore frowns. "This is Dr. William Fennec, a new addition to my team, but already my chief whitecoat."
   Fennec's jaw clenches when Moore calls him a whitecoat, but shows no other reaction. "I'm glad to be of service to the Technocracy. Speaking of which, I had this taken out of storage when I head you were approaching," William says, handing you a helmet mic. "If you need assistance, my team and I are always willing. Now, I must apologize, Harlequin, but I have to return to my labors. I wish you luck."
   "He is... eager to please," Moore says with the trace of growl when Dr. Fennec returns to work. "As far as whitecoats go, he's not bad. Smart, sharp, and not that much of schemer."

The lieutenant might have said more, but one of the engineers working on the door stands and gives him a thumbs-up. "Well, we're ready to breach," Moore says, a hint of eagerness entering his normally tired voice. "Any further questions or concerns?"

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 12:55:03 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8521 on: January 05, 2014, 01:00:28 am »

((
[Marksman 20+1]

:D Yay!))

"Got it, Anna!" Tyrin replied as his thoughts comprehended her words--whether aural or not--and shifted his grip, adjusting the Broadbeam onto the Destroyer. "Wigs, down!"

Fire at the Destroyer--cautiously targeting the area away from Wigs, preferring a near miss instead of a sure hit that may cause collateral damage.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8522 on: January 05, 2014, 01:50:15 am »

"Thank you, Dr. Fennec." Dom put the mic in its place as she thought the situation over, keeping her words and tone carefully neutral to avoid indicating whether she meant the compliments or the microphone. ...What the fuck did 'I' even do at Redfall? Jesus. This guy. I might be able to use him, if I work this angle carefully and avoid answering any questions. Shit. I'm already way in over my head and we haven't even opened the doors yet. I'm just fucking grunt maintenance, I don't know how to manipulate people... no, gotta keep it together, Dom. Dude's probably already suspicious. I let it slip now and I'm dead. Alonso and Basilio may be helpful, but they sure as shit don't have anything on several trained fire teams. I sure don't, even with my advantages. I mean... maybe the three of us could take them all. With the element of surprise, a lot of explosives in key areas, and a good bottleneck or something.

And this Argyle dude? Should I give him like a cold glare or something to let him know I heard him, or should I just play it off like I didn't? I mean... fuck. Do I want him wary or thinking everything's cool as long as he doesn't talk shit where I can hear him? If this is what Sizier has to think about all the time, and Smith back when he led us... I don't envy them at all. For now, she would have to say something. "I'll take your word on your team. Obviously you trust them enough to watch your back and we have more important things to think about right now." She looked at the door.

"I'll take point with my bodyguards. I suggest we clear the area leading up to the hub by the book - clear it room by room and ensure each area is secure. Once this area is safe, we'll discuss the next step." God, she wanted to just get to Jeffrey as soon as possible and see if he was OK. It was so hard to keep herself in check right now, to not suggest they split up at the earliest possible opportunity so she could go look for him. She had to play the role, and she thought the Harlequin she was portraying would care more about securing the facility than ensuring the safety of disposable test subjects. Even if it was tearing her up inside.

"Your thoughts?" she asked, checking her shotgun over to make sure it was combat ready. Just in case.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8523 on: January 06, 2014, 12:23:25 am »

Wolf has been sent their usual PM, and I know what Powder is doing.

The recipient of the 6th spot has been selected. Probably.

EDIT: Because I forgot to tag this spoiler onto Dom's last free dialogue.
Spoiler: Whitecoat (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 12:46:36 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8524 on: January 06, 2014, 09:15:25 am »

Damien raises an eyebrow at the fact that the Sniper is still running. He can't truly blame the man, but still. Faced with seemingly unbeatable odds from a foe expected to be weak? It's not really surprising that the man ran. Damien, however, knows that no matter what the odds are, he will never run. Never surrender. Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon. He holsters his Abassy and instead takes out his Ichneumon instead, planning to shoot the sniper yet again. Right before he was able to fire, something tore into his mind and started to rip and tear. Growling, he managed to raise the rifle yet again and fire before succumbing, briefly, to the pain.
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8525 on: January 06, 2014, 01:58:39 pm »

Ow, ow, OW! That blade had gone right between his ribs, and it hurt like Hell. Somehow, the thing had got up even after he crunched its leg, but he still needed to get it to stop moving. James furiously racked his brain, given that this was a true life-or-death situation. Thankfully, an idea came to his head! After all, the thing had tried to immobilize him earlier, with the web grenades.
He maybe could just kinda... psionically... reach out, if that was the right term. And then he could take those web grenades that it still had and use them on the synthetic itself!
Use telekinesis to activate all of the grenades the Wight has, while they're on its belt. Then, run to a good distance to avoid getting caught in anything.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8526 on: January 07, 2014, 03:20:48 am »

It's a long shot but I have to try something

Pretend I belong, act like I have nothing to hide, stroll down the halls etc.
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8527 on: January 08, 2014, 12:06:37 pm »

((Ouch! Shatter Mind is NASTY. That just put Damien's psionics out of the fight in one go, right through his mindbar. Daaaaaamnnnn...

Also, dat roll. :o))

"The heavy is loose! Finish him quickly! Tyrin, if you're going to do something special, NOW is the time!" The collective Anna shouted as they prepared one final barrage of attacks. Hopefully this would be the last needed, as they were reaching their limits.

Use Control on the Destroyer and force him to drop his weapon, followed up by Energy Draining some of the surrounding fires with -4 for brakes and unleashing the stored power into a Surge on the Destroyer, no matter if he's under control or not. If I cannot get at least level 3 with the stored energy, supply enough to make up for the cost from my own personal stamina.
[I'll be honest, I'm not really even sure what I have. I think I have some in both passives, but I'm not sure :P]
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8528 on: January 10, 2014, 11:08:29 am »

bump?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8529 on: January 10, 2014, 09:53:14 pm »

Draignean takes his time and is generally busy due to RL stuffs. We don't mind, however--it's the journey that counts. :)
He's an inspiration on why I'm still continuing my RTD.
Also this won't die unless he says so.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8530 on: January 11, 2014, 01:10:28 am »

Yeah, pretty much. Draignean's worth the wait, though.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Nunzillor

« Reply #8531 on: January 11, 2014, 02:18:45 am »

True that.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8532 on: January 11, 2014, 08:48:47 pm »

This emotion I feel, it is not unlike pride and guilt doing the lambada in a canoe. I MUST WRITE A TURN NOW!

Err, anyway. Any of the long time readers of this thread know how unstable I get when I have a fever, so I don't know how much will get done. I am writing, but my classes start again on Monday (coincidentally, the same day I'm enrolling) and I've come down with the same illness that has taken down half of Oklahoma.

EDIT: Finished the basic write-up. Need to spit, polish, make maps, assassinate the president of Chile, and update the status blocks.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:53:49 pm by Draignean »
---

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8533 on: January 12, 2014, 10:04:36 am »

Can I have some of your feels? I need them. :)
Go turn, go!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8534 on: January 13, 2014, 11:19:58 pm »

Sorry for the delay, just got enrolled in most of my classes. I would have been here earlier, but I also had to recover from the minor aneurism I got from seeing the 250$ price tag on my dynamics textbook. IT IS PAPER AND INK, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU BASTARDS?!

In other, better, news: My fever broke last night, and I'm finishing everything now. The turn will be out tonight.
---
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 602