Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 527005 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 3: Death of a Thousand Cuts
« Reply #8535 on: January 14, 2014, 12:30:04 am »

Dominique Wakeman

"Your thoughts?" she asked, checking her shotgun over to make sure it was combat ready. Just in case.

[Diplomacy 14] "I think this going to go sideways on us all," Moore mutters, slotting his helmet in his place and tapping his mic. "Sergeant White, keep this door secure. Detain anyone that comes through that isn't one of ours, and blow them to hell if they don't comply. Argyle, pick one engineer to come with my team. Fennec, lend us a doc and whitecoat, keep everyone else here to man the triage station." The lieutenant's voice sounds odd, doubled as you hear it from both Moore and the mic that William gave you. "Blow the door when ready."
   The line of soldiers behind the makeshift barricade hardens, each one locking into a firing position. The engineers retreat from the door, and at a signal from Argyle, a series of charges detonate on the already cut door. A five foot wide by six feet tall rectangle of blast door makes a noise like a struck gong as it bonces backwards, and a curiously muffled thump as it topples.
   There's a long pause as the smoke clears, but no vile monstrosity erupts from the door. "All clear for you to breach sir," Sergeant White radios over. "Other side looks.... unusual, but not hostile."
    Moore motions you to take point as you suggested, and you quickly see why White termed the hall on the other side "unusual". Everything, from the floor to the ceiling, is covered in some bluish white substance. It's slightly shiny, like wax, and is present in a thin enough coat that it's translucent. Odder still, it appears to be glowing faintly. Cautiously, you step onto the wax. Your footfall feels soft, and a faint ring of light ripples away from your foot, fading as travels. [Intuition 10] It's definitely reacting to you, but you're not exactly certain what that means. Alonso and Basilio move in behind you, as impassive as they always are.
    Moore grunts when you move forward far enough to let his squad inside. "Well, you can't say the Technocracy doesn't send us to the most interesting places. Fennec, get a sample of this stuff and run it, fast. I want to know if it could be our problem, and if so I want to know how to get rid of it." The lieutenant taps his mic again, changing channels to include only the local group. "Alright, Harlequin has the lead, and she wants this done by the numbers. Clear those lifts first, and magbolt any door that you don't think we're going to need again soon. If there's any way for something to get behind us without our knowing, I want it shut tight before we move on. Get to work."
  Luckily, the squads seem to be well versed in clearing a room "by the numbers" even if you aren't. The group with Moore breaks into two parties, and you split up to clear and lock the cargo lifts. It's quick work when you have this many people working together, though no less strange. Most of the doors seem have failed to shut completely, and in most instances the engineer is unable to convince them to fully overcome that failing. Thankfully, the magbolts they're using are substantially more sophisticated than the antiquated ones you used to use in maintenance, and are able to lock the door in place even if it gaps a couple inches at the seam. Every room you look into is completely coated in the waxy substance, the lifts frozen and silent. [Observation 11+1] You note that, while ripples of light are generated by every impact the wax receives, it never takes a print from the soldier's boots.
   "Well this is pretty as a winter fucking wonderland, but I need some answers," Moore growls after locking up the last of the lifts. "We're about ready to head through the checkpoint scanner, Fennec, what do have for me on that sample?"
    "I need more time for a full analysis, but I don't think the material covering the interiors is the problem. A symptom maybe, but not the problem. It's inorganic itself, though it may be an organic byproduct, it's difficult to say.  It has a few properties in common with impact gel, notably it is capable of transforming kinetic energy into radiation on a visible wavelength. It does not, however, grow. It spreads out into the thinnest sheet possible when placed on a surface, but it doesn't actually generate more of itself. Oh, and don't eat it. The material is highly toxic when ingested."
    "Thanks, some of the boys were just about to start making sandwiches out of the strange glowing crap they scraped off the walls of a dead space station, I'll put a stop to that. Do you have a way to get rid of it? It seems to be interfering with the door systems, and probably everything else as well."
   "No, sir. It's resistant to every solvent I've thrown at it. Best we can do is move and redistribute for now."
   Moore growls again. "Find something, and keep me posted on any new developments," Moore says before closing the channel and pounding the door release to the checkpoint scanner. For once, it works properly, opening fully if haltingly.
   On the other side, past the narrow scanning corridor meant to detect prohibited materials carried on an individual, is a man. He's kneeling, making traces of light in the wax with his fingers, talking to himself as he moves. [P.Kinetics 17+1] You shouldn't have been able to hear him at that distance, but you can. His mutters are faint but discernible. "Hungry, so hungry. Won't let me eat, too weak to eat. So hungry... so hungry..."
   Something about the man strikes you as very wrong, like the itch you used to get when you knew a suckerpunch was coming from behind.

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

---

Ashley Fey

It's a long shot but I have to try something

Pretend I belong, act like I have nothing to hide, stroll down the halls etc.

[Lie 7+1][Diplomacy 19] You walk out of the shuttle, into the middle of the receiving bay, and are immediately noticed. Bright violet isn't the best hair color for avoiding suspicion, and nonchalance only gets you so far. There a lot of soldiers here, and every one of them appears to be on high alert. The fact that you emerged from Dominique's shuttle keeps them from filling you with holes right off the bat, and the way you carry yourself tells them that you aren't an intruder, but you don't look like you completely belong either. 
   You make it to the middle of the room before one of the soldiers manning the barricade approaches you. She's tall, maybe even a little taller than you, and her expression is a mixture of concealed confusion and irritation. "The Harlequin did not inform us of additional passengers. This is a secure area, and I don't know who you are. You'll have to forgive my impertinence, but I have to ask for your identification."

Spoiler:  Ashley Fey (click to show/hide)

---

James Evan

Ow, ow, OW! That blade had gone right between his ribs, and it hurt like Hell. Somehow, the thing had got up even after he crunched its leg, but he still needed to get it to stop moving. James furiously racked his brain, given that this was a true life-or-death situation. Thankfully, an idea came to his head! After all, the thing had tried to immobilize him earlier, with the web grenades.
He maybe could just kinda... psionically... reach out, if that was the right term. And then he could take those web grenades that it still had and use them on the synthetic itself!
Use telekinesis to activate all of the grenades the Wight has, while they're on its belt. Then, run to a good distance to avoid getting caught in anything.

Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)

[Telekinesis 12] [Control 22, cost -50%]  (-3 stamina) You will a hand of psionic energy into existence, a much weaker force than the projectiles you first lashed out with. [Melee 17+1 Vs Dexterity 3+1] Sometimes, however, less is more. You grab all three of the grenades still attached to the Synthetic, and twist.  [Dodge 11] You hurl yourself away from the three suddenly live grenades, but your reaction is a split second too late. You gain distance, but no guarantee of safety.
  [Wight Soak 20-4, 6-4] [James Soak 17, 21] The webbing grenade explodes in a sticky tangle, covering the left side of the cybernetic in rapidly hardening gunk. It never had the time to spread out into its characteristic web, but it is somewhat effective nonetheless. The other two grenades are very different beasts. Both explode in a wave of sound, light, and... something else. You twitch uncontrollably in the wake of the detonation, and every part of your body develops severe pins and needles at the same time. The Technocrat is less fortunate. They might have been tough enough to withstand the first detonation, but the second one causes a grand mal seizure. The Wight collapses, jerking spasmodically and frothing at the mouth.

(James is numbed, No skill/attribute bonuses until a successful soak throw is made)
(Wight is having a massive seizure, must roll soak each round to get out.)

Spoiler:  James Evan (click to show/hide)

---

Tyrin and Anna

"The heavy is loose! Finish him quickly! Tyrin, if you're going to do something special, NOW is the time!" The collective Anna shouted as they prepared one final barrage of attacks. Hopefully this would be the last needed, as they were reaching their limits.

Use Control on the Destroyer and force him to drop his weapon, followed up by Energy Draining some of the surrounding fires with -4 for brakes and unleashing the stored power into a Surge on the Destroyer, no matter if he's under control or not. If I cannot get at least level 3 with the stored energy, supply enough to make up for the cost from my own personal stamina.
"Got it, Anna!" Tyrin replied as his thoughts comprehended her words--whether aural or not--and shifted his grip, adjusting the Broadbeam onto the Destroyer. "Wigs, down!"

Fire at the Destroyer--cautiously targeting the area away from Wigs, preferring a near miss instead of a sure hit that may cause collateral damage.

Anna attempts to regain control of the Destroyer, [Control (Abi.) 9+2, 11+2, 13+2 Vs 3, 3, 6] [Control (Ski) 11+1] (-10 stamina) once again overwhelming the soldier's mind with her own. With the Technocrat heavy infantryman shackled, Anna's subsidiary minds draw in energy from the nearby fires. [Energy Drain 1-4 (bonus negated)] Something goes very wrong. Energy flows the wrong direction, and the fires brighten and spread, sapping your energy instead of feeding it. (-30 stamina) The collective minds flinch away from the sudden chill in their bones, but continue to pour energy into an attack on the Destroyer. [Surge 22+2, 1 effect, Pain] [Control 12] (-15 stamina) They can feel the pain flood the controlled soldier's mind, and there is a vicious joy bleeding into the link from the subsidiary minds.
   Tyrin snaps off a shot at the Destroyer, [Quickshot 20] striking the the soldier solidly. [Destroyer Armor -8, Hp -9. 2 negated] The lack of beam focus reduces the power, but it's still sufficient to burn through the Technocrat's weakened armor.
   The remaining trooper tries to put Wigs down,  [Quickshot/Firecontrol  9+1, 8, 21, 11 (Kinesthetic dodge!), 10-1] [Wigs IS Activated. 40HP shield] (Wigs Shield -7) but even as wounded as he is, Wigs is far from defenseless. The kineticist throws a shield up to stop the first slug, and dodges the second by a hairbreadth. The trooper sways in place after he fires, a look of blank confusion coming over his face as the remnants of Anna's surge finally cause his brain to hemorrhage. He crumples slowly, dying by degrees as his brain bleeds.
   Damien holsters his pistol, unlimbering the long barreled anti-material rifle instead. [Quickshot 4-2-1] The recoil of the heavy weapon takes Damien by surprise, knocking him sideways and sending the sabot wide of the mark.
   The Marshal fires a burst from his Hellhound, [Quickshot/FireControl 9, 14, (Overheat)] striking with a single weak beam. The weapon, not designed for combat at this range, overheats rapidly and becomes nothing more than a lightshow after the second shot. (Destroyer Armor -2)
   Wigs [Mobility 3] attempts to get to more substantive cover, but his wounds prevent him from moving at a pace other than a crawl.
   The sniper [11+1-3] continues to make his way southeast, more slowly now that his adrenaline surge is fading.

Spoiler:  Tyrin Laveros (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Anna Witheld (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Allies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Enemies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Damien Smith (click to show/hide)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8536 on: January 14, 2014, 01:19:35 am »

Dom immediately moved up and placed a hand on Moore's shoulder. Once she had his attention, she pointed to the man down the hall. "This one is talking. He said... he's hungry. He wants to eat, but something won't let him." She raised her shotgun. "I recommend we capture and interrogate him, but be extremely cautious. My gut instinct doesn't like this at all." That said, she moved forward, keeping her shotgun trained on the man, until she was within ten feet of him to see if he would react to her presence, while still giving her some space to fall back if needed.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8537 on: January 14, 2014, 02:59:10 am »

Alright, first shot hit. Now to replicate the proceedings.

Fire once more at the destroyer. Stabilize the shot and focus the beam power to pierce instead of a broad shot.

"Didn't see you earlier," Tyrin said to Damien, "Where'd you come from?"

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8538 on: January 14, 2014, 07:15:06 am »

"Fuck." Damien mutters to himself, watching the man continue to run. Someone appears to be talking to him, so he turns in the general direction of the voice. "Not now. Talk later." He takes a deep breath, then exhales slowly. "Let's try that again." He raises his rifle once more, this time aiming in at the fleeing soldier first. Now that he's shot at the man not just once, but twice, he simply can't allow him to escape. "Sorry," Damien mutters, not really meaning it. "But sacrifices have to be made for the cause. Your number just came up, is all."
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8539 on: January 14, 2014, 10:32:43 am »

((Did you remember to do the Mind Shatter stuff for Damien?))

After managing to keep focus from the surprise of the poor energy drain, the collective replied to Tyrin.

"He's a technocrat Tyrin. That should be obvious. He's mentally disabled for now though, so he should be relatively harmless once we disarm him."

The collective crouches down and rests, keeping a close eye on the remains of the battle.

The Destroyer stays still so the others can shoot him easier and commits suicide after taking off his helmet.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8540 on: January 14, 2014, 01:02:49 pm »

((Did you remember to do the Mind Shatter stuff for Damien?))

After managing to keep focus from the surprise of the poor energy drain, the collective replied to Tyrin.

"He's a technocrat Tyrin. That should be obvious. He's mentally disabled for now though, so he should be relatively harmless once we disarm him."

The collective crouches down and rests, keeping a close eye on the remains of the battle.

The Destroyer stays still so the others can shoot him easier and commits suicide after taking off his helmet.

((He has one point of will left, he'll begin regenerating it next round.
I need to work on shatter mind. It varies between laughable and OHKO in effectiveness, and it does so really randomly.))
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8541 on: January 14, 2014, 07:33:02 pm »

"I-I didn't..notice that. I'd doubt it--the crossfire doesn't seem one-sided." Tyrin replied, keeping his voice at a neutral choice of words. He couldn't reply through the same path Anna did, and whomever that person was would hear him.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8542 on: January 15, 2014, 12:46:03 am »

"He's a technocrat alright. He's even shooting his own men, or at least trying to. Typical of technocrats trying to save their own hide." The collective stated. "It's not our choice if we take him prisoner or not, but he's gifted so if we do, it would be dangerous. Not sure if it's worth the risk of lugging his ass around in a combat zone, so we'd be better off without him."

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8543 on: January 15, 2014, 11:43:28 pm »

Nng... this was horrible, but seizure or no he still needed to deal with that Wight permanently. And to do that, he'd need to get to his shotgun. ...James vaguely wondered if the task he was setting ahead of himself now violated his morals. But he couldn't afford to care, he was closer to dead than he'd prefer.
Retrieve shotgun.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8544 on: January 17, 2014, 09:30:45 am »

Fire once more at the destroyer. Stabilize the shot and focus the beam power to pierce instead of a broad shot.

((The ALR Broadbeam as designed by Taric focuses after aiming. You can try to adjust the focus manually with a mechanics throw, but you may break it on a low roll.))
---

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8545 on: January 17, 2014, 10:54:29 pm »

If there are no other guards close by, attempt to silently take the guard out, otherwise fumble around in my belongings, swear then head back to the ship as if I had forgotten something
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8546 on: January 18, 2014, 12:17:58 am »

((The ALR Broadbeam as designed by Taric focuses after aiming. You can try to adjust the focus manually with a mechanics throw, but you may break it on a low roll.))
((Taric as in Taricus Huh, no wonder i couldn't find the weapon in the armory section.
I will be asking him, and yes-change my action to AIM instead. If the person is downed, roll to successfully switch aim to the other enemy [not Damien as I am unsure about him.  ;D ]))

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8547 on: January 18, 2014, 01:04:31 am »

((Taric as in Taricus Huh, no wonder i couldn't find the weapon in the armory section.
I will be asking him, and yes-change my action to AIM instead. If the person is downed, roll to successfully switch aim to the other enemy [not Damien as I am unsure about him.  ;D ]))

((Yeah, I need to add all the custom weapons to the armory still. On my gigantical to-do list, shortly before becoming Emperor of the Unknown World. {Because that's so much cooler than the Emperor of the Known World}

Oh, and everyone has their turn written but Tyrin and Anna))
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 01:17:00 am by Draignean »
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8548 on: January 19, 2014, 01:05:41 pm »

James Evan

Nng... this was horrible, but seizure or no he still needed to deal with that Wight permanently. And to do that, he'd need to get to his shotgun. ...James vaguely wondered if the task he was setting ahead of himself now violated his morals. But he couldn't afford to care, he was closer to dead than he'd prefer.
Retrieve shotgun.

[James Soak 20, effects shaken]  The pins and needles fade from your body as you reclaim your shotgun. You make sure to give it cursory check for the cracks in the barrel that occasionally cause these kinds of shotgun to explode. Accidentally blowing both your arms off, while it would fit the day you're having, is not the way you want to end this.
    [Wight Soak 4+1] The synthetic continues to shake and froth, barely capable of controlling his own movements. He reaches out toward you, the talon in his arm still outstretched. He's either very devoted to killing you, or he's trying to beg for mercy. [Intuition Hidden] Looking at him, at the terrified way he stares up at you, it's very easy to believe the latter.   

"Something is coming," Iscariot whispers, flickering in and out of your peripherals before you're sure he's really there.

Spoiler:  James Evan (click to show/hide)

---

Tyrin and Anna

Stabilize the shot and focus the beam power to pierce instead of a broad shot.

The sniper [mobility 13] vaults the fence and drops down on the other side, switching direction as soon as he hits he grounds to take cover behind the fire. He was a sniper, and he knew exactly what would happen if he deserted combat in a straight line.
   Tyrin takes a little more time to line up a shot on the Destroyer, keeping the rifle steady enough for the optics to calibrate the most effective focal point for the beam.
   Feuer stands his ground, watching as the fight winds down. "Let the sniper go," he barks. "Not worth our time. Focus on finishing the Destroyer." He turns directly to Damien, regarding him with a cold, but not quite killing, expression. "You, Technocrat, lay down arms and surrender. Now."
   [Stamina 7] Anna gathers her will before forcing the Destroyer to unlock his heavy helmet and draw the combat blade reserved for heavy melee. [Anna Control (Abi.) 6] Against the sheer wall of desire, training, and instinctual self-preservation that has kept the Destroyer alive thus far, Anna's will cracks a little. [Destroyer Melee 14-3 Vs Dodge 3] [Brawl  10+1] The Destroyer is able to control enough of his body to jerk sideways as Anna forces him to ram a blade into his neck, and it's enough to save his life for a moment longer. (Destroyer -17x2= -34 health, No armor on affected region) The blade slices part of the underside of his jaw, deflects off the bone, and carves a deep slash from the tip of the Destroyer's chin to the edge of his right ear.
   Damien tracks the fleeing sniper with the Ichneumon, [Marksman 17] keeping a bead on the soldier even when he attempts to use the interceding fire as cover. The unchained leader, however, is ordering him to stand down. The fog the other psionic forced into his mind makes it difficult to think...

Spoiler:  Tyrin Laveros (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Anna Witheld (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Allies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Enemies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Damien Smith (click to show/hide)

---

Ashley Fey

If there are no other guards close by, attempt to silently take the guard out, otherwise fumble around in my belongings, swear then head back to the ship as if I had forgotten something

You do a quick bit of mental tactics. You and Harry, sixteen of them currently visible, a shitload more in the wings if the report Dominique got was accurate. You decide to opt for something less suicidal than punching the acting officer in the throat. [Lie 22+1-4 Vs Detect Lie 5] The fact that you're pulling the oldest trick in the book for getting out of a tight spot should have made the officer suspicious, but, surprisingly, she seems to take it as part of the natural order when you turn and simply brush her off on the way back to the shuttle. Apparently she's used to getting completely snubbed by strange individuals.
   Of course, considering that she probably thinks of you some kind of assistant to Dominique, and Dominique is pretending to be a Harlequin, her reaction is understandable. She's a grunt, you might not be. You walk quickly back to the shuttle before the officer can ask you any further questions.

Spoiler:  Ashley Fey (click to show/hide)

---

Dominique Wakeman

Dom immediately moved up and placed a hand on Moore's shoulder. Once she had his attention, she pointed to the man down the hall. "This one is talking. He said... he's hungry. He wants to eat, but something won't let him." She raised her shotgun. "I recommend we capture and interrogate him, but be extremely cautious. My gut instinct doesn't like this at all." That said, she moved forward, keeping her shotgun trained on the man, until she was within ten feet of him to see if he would react to her presence, while still giving her some space to fall back if needed.

The lieutenant nods and motions for everyone else to hold ground. "We've got our shot. If there's trouble, drop down and we can take him out," Moore whispers through the mic.
    You approach slowly, trying not to unecessarily disturb the kneeling man. Your armored feet make little sound on the waxy floor, but tiny ripples of light spread forward with every step. Still, the man seems not to notice you. [Observation 17] As you edge quietly closer, you make several unsettling observations. The first, and most of obvious, is that the man appears to be in perfect health. He's not starved or even skinny in appearance; in fact, he's fully muscled and comfortably fleshed. Aside from being pale and slightly dirty, there is literally nothing that you can see wrong with him.  Which is strange, because there are holes in the clothes he's wearing that don't look accidental. It looks like the two piece he's wearing has been shot a couple times, impaled through the right shoulder, and partially burned, but he certainly shows no sign of the injuries. And that probably means that this guy stole his clothes from a corpse. [Intuition Hidden]
    Which may also mean that this is one of the test subjects. If there was an incident, they would be the ones most likely to steal the clothes off the dead.

You stop when you're ten feet away, waiting for the kneeling man to do something. After a long moment, his fingers freeze in the middle of trace of light, and his mutterings stop. The man looks up slowly, his face filling with awe as he takes a full accounting of you. He stays in that position for a moment, looking up at you like a mad dog seeing the face of God. Then he throws himself at your feet, abasing himself and gibbering further. "I knew you'd come back for me! I'm sorry, I'm sorry, sorry, sorry, so sorry. I didn't mean to kill her, I knew it was wrong! It was an accident, I was hungry, and she was... and I... so hungry. Let me come back, please let me come back. I'm in control, I'm not insane, it won't happen again! Please, I'm not a Freak, and I'm sorry, I'm so sorry!"

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8549 on: January 19, 2014, 01:07:10 pm »

((Please ignore the double post behind the curtain. I'll probably say something interesting here later.))
---
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 602