Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 527258 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2: It got worse.
« Reply #8205 on: September 19, 2013, 10:20:53 pm »

First note: Maps are simpler when one of the people is blind and doesn't need a map.

Second note: I Still need to write the inventory spoilers of everyone.

Third note: Even with that, I should be able to press this out in an hour or so.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2: It got worse.
« Reply #8206 on: September 19, 2013, 10:50:54 pm »

Anna Withheld and Tyrin Laveros

"Well, I have two. Either we run out that way where I got shot-I'm betting they've shifted aiming on that part thanks to psychology- and duck away from where the Gunship is at."

Tyrin pointed at the point where the gunship was facing--the house was to be used as cover.

"Or we could take our chances with the four you're sensing. Though it would help if we could make a better distraction. I'm pretty optimistic either way."

He looked at his wounds, and then looked at Boris. Trying to convince him (with what he learned, along with any innate skills) to join up. "It may be bleak, but you're still standing. We can all get out of here safe, but only if we work together. You're a sign of hope for the others.

"We should all go one way or the other, and I'm taking my chances with the four in that direction."

Anna, I'm going north.
Try my passive empathetics?

Have everyone wait for me to take a few deep breaths to collect and focus myself before they move. Then, try an Override on the pilot of the gunship to jerk his hands to the left and forward, while I lay covering fire on the ship with my rifle, trying to hit the engines or the pilot.
Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)

Tyrin and the Colonist supporting him make a sprinting hobble out of the rapidly disintegrating building. [Mobility 1, Mobility 19] Tyrin's legs collapse under him a few steps in, and the colonist is forced to half drag and half carry him. The two of them make it a short distance outside the structure, partially obscured by smoke but still exposed. [Tyrin P.Empathetics ?] Tyrin tries to impress some amount of empathy and friendliness on the figures Anna sensed, but he can't tell if anything is happening. At least, not until the other party replies.
    "I don't know who you are, and I don't give a damn. Come with us if you want to live! That gunship is going to kill you whether you're a civilian or not." [Observation 18+1] Tyrin recognizes the voice. An Unchained marshal he knows by sight if not by name.   
    The continuing hail of the gunship's barrage pounds the colonist structure, turning survival within into a roulette game. [Anna Luck 11] [Colonist leader luck 2] [Jenna Luck 8] Anna's armor gets further shredded by shards of flying metal, sharp edges slicing through the infiltration suit's reinforced fabric and continuing on to draw blood. (Anna Armor -4, Hp -11, 1 negated) The leader of the colonists gets less lucky, and an osmium slug clips him under the ribs. (Colonist Leader Hp -141)  The force of the impact turns his side into slop, the kinetic energy of the glancing hit rupturing organs and fracturing bones inside his flesh. He dies along with his daughter. A cloud of spall hits Jenna from above, (Jenna Armor -3, HP -40, 3 Negated) and she stiffens briefly in Anna's arms before becoming dead weight. Anna lets her body fall to the ground, knowing there's nothing she can do about the four inch spike of metal embedded in the psionic's skull.
    Anna pauses in the destruction, stunned. Dead. All dead. [Stamina 4, no effect] She's too tired for this. Too wounded. Adrenaline does little in the face of a growing realization that death is inevitable. She steps outside of the collapsing house, calm in spite of the pain of her injuries. She raises her rifle, points it at the massive target of the gunship, and fires. [Quickshot 16-1-1+3, 12-1-1+3,15-1-1+3] (Gunship shields -16,-10,-12) Brief flashes of golden light appear just in front of the gunship's armor as the ship's shielding cancels the kinetic energy of each bullet. Undaunted, Anna switches to a mental attack. Even if she can just knock the gunship a little off course, she can buy Tyrin some time. [Override 19+2-2] [Control 2, cost +10%] (-11 Stamina) (Damien -10 stamina) The attack strikes hard, but rebounds off the hard shell of a technocrat mental shield. The psionic that' s been keeping the unchained from pulling the gunship out of the air is still operating, and he's shielding the pilot. Staring up at the impregnable gunship, Anna realizes something.
   This is where she's going to die.

Spoiler:  Anna Witheld (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Tyrin Laveros (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: map (click to show/hide)

---

Dominique Wakeman and Ashley Fey

"Yeah, I don't blame you, but this is the only way we're gonna work things out peacefully. I mean, I trust the dude, but I guess you gotta meet him to see for yourself. Ready to go?"

If so, Dom calls the elevator and gets in, telling Alonso and Basilio to stay on this floor as a show of good faith.
Go with dom, but keep a hand on a weapon

Dominique sets Alonso and Basilio to chill for a while, lessening her advantage in a fight in exchange for a slightly more trusting atmosphere. Ashely accepts Dom's update to meet with Taric, but, despite Dominique leaving the Immortals behind, she keeps her hand on her weapon.
   Emily's voice chimes into the conversation the instant both of you step into the elevator. "This is not what Lord Taric wanted."
   The elevator begins to slide smoothly upwards.
   "Would you like me to play music to ease your tension?"
   Nobody justifies that with an answer.

Taric massages his head. Dominique had found him, with the assistance of a couple immortals, hunched over a computer console. He'd been psychically speeding through functions, and he wasn't taking the interruption to his work with a great deal of grace.
   "Dominique, if the next words out of your mouth are 'it followed me home, can I keep it?' I'm docking your pay. I asked you to shoot her, dead. Bang! HNGH! thud. Not bring her back here so we can have tea," Taric says, completely ignoring the fact that Ashley herself is almost within arms length. "I'm a little busy right now, but if you want I can get one of my Immortals to give me a gun and we can take a minute to shoot her together. It'll be fun, just like old times. What do you say?"

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Ashley Fey (click to show/hide)

---

James Evan

James' thoughts slowly and exruciatingly wrenched into something more coherent, more understandable. He could work with this. ...But Nathaniel's ejection made things five times more difficult, not to mention the maintenance panel jammed inside Tarran's leg. James muttered a curse. He couldn't get Tarran into the drop suit with this thing in his leg, but if he didn't Tarran would die anyway. He groaned. He had one thing to try. And if not, he'd merely have to try and hope for the best. His clumsy hands couldn't do much, he knew, but... maybe his mind could. He'd have to hope for luck...
James attempts to use psionic blade to cut the maintenance panel where it juts out of Tarran's flesh. Then he attempts to put the drop suit on Tarran, having to take out the panel if he couldn't cut it. And above all, he gets the two of them the hell out of the ship.
There was something James was missing, something he didn't know how to do. Somehow, this plan seemed flawed... But his head hurt, and he didn't have time for standing around.

You have to get the suit on Tarran, and you have to get him moving. Both of which necessitate some immediate action on the metal plate sticking out of his leg. You concentrate, thinking about what you want to make happen. You're pretty sure this isn't the way the others do this, but the others don't have split personalities piloting their psionics. [Blade 20-3+1-1][Control 2, +10% stamina cost] (-28 Stamina) You hold the piece of metal steady with one hand, and something twists in the air around you. The metal jerks as the psionic blade cuts through it near the base. The jerk causes some bleeding, but it looks, compared to the rest of the wound, superficial.
    With the metal poking out of Tarran's leg shortened considerably, you slap the dropsuit onto him, buckling it up to the best of your abilities. Which isn't much. Thankfully the suit was made for VIPs who were also not expected to know how to put on a dropsuit in the heat of the moment. It's probably not on "right", but it should do its job.
[Luck 3] Which is very fortunate. You're thrown into one of the walls of engineering as the ship hits something in mid-air. You feel the ship twist sideways for a second, then everything lurches as the Virtue plows into the ground.
   Dropsuits are usually meant to protect people when they fall from great height, and most civilian suits actually require the user to manually activate the bulk of the suits protective measures. Suits for Technocrat high-personnel, however, are quite a bit more advanced. Uncaring whether it was the ground or not, both Tarran's and James' suits detect immediate fatal impact events with the walls of the engineering section, and they deploy countermeasures. The compartment fills with expanding impact gel as sideline canisters on both vests explode. Bubble shields flare into a brief, bright existence, existing only for long enough to provide a cushion against the damage of hitting the compartment wall with the speed and force of a falling luxury transport. 
   [Soak 12] [Tarran Soak 4]

'Wake up' isn't exactly the right phrase for the way your brain starts processing things again immediately after the crash. Seconds have passed, and the ship has, thankfully, stopped moving. The impact gel is hot, but, considering that you just landed in the most literal sense possible, you'd say that's a minor concern. You sit up and immediately bang your head on the much lowered ceiling. The engineering compartment is a hell of a lot smaller than it used to be. It is also completely lightless. You can feel the motion retarding muck of impact gel covering the floor to a depth of a couple inches. [Observation 1] You reach around in the darkness, but you can't find anything remotely resembling Tarran. The only thing you can hear clearly is the faint sound of liquid flowing.

Spoiler:  James Evan (click to show/hide)

---

Damien Smith

Alrighty then. Drop complete. Now, there were supposedly some Unchained here. Hopefully, the gunship wouldn't blow them into oblivion just yet. Even if there was just one, that one would know where the main base was. In his mind, Damien made a list. Step one: Find rebels. Step two: Earn trust. Three: Find the base. Four: Bring down the thunder. Perhaps those troops over there knew what was going on.
"Soldier! Report!"
Damien walks up to the troops at the destroyer and demands a status report.

Damien got near enough to the soldiers to tag their collar signals. Talking was hell on the field, and taking reports the direct way, well, that often had unpleasant side effects. "Report," Damien ordered the instant he had the destroyer's frequency locked down.
   Damien's signal brought up his rank and clearances up instantaneously on the soldier's HUD, which in turn brought absolute compliance to the soldier. Credit where credit was due, the Technocrats knew how to select and brainwash absolute loyalty into their shock troops. "Holding down enemy forces, sir! Reinforcement call was issued by a voluntary trooper, we're first response. We'll be ready to move in after the gunship finishes it's pass if you have no alternate orders, sir!"
   Damien opens his mouth to send another query through the radio, but a chill runs through his body. Someone is launching a psionic attack against the pilot of the gunship. Nothing major, but whoever is doing it has skill. [P. Empathetics 1] And, strangely, they leave no psychic trace to follow. For all intents, the attack on the pilot came out of nowhere.

The growing roar that Damien noted earlier breaks him out of his attempt to trace the source of the psychic attack. It had a clear direction now, definitely coming from the south, but... Damien's eyes narrowed, catching movement in the farther trees. What he saw was, surprising. Billowing smoke and limping along on two engines, a large silver ship was pummeling its way through the branches separating it from Hensfield. It was clearly broken, and the cockpit module was missing, but that didn't stop it from driving toward the colony on sheer momentum. That, he thought, looking at the approaching ship, is not something you see every day.

Spoiler:  Damien Smith (click to show/hide)

---

The Gunship

"Sir! We have an unidentified object approaching at high speed, position is roughly nine'o."
"Classification?"
"Unknown, it appears damaged but it's not slowing. Tracking trajectory... Merciful Church, it's coming right at us!"
"Pull off from the assault, now! Evasive thrust, twenty degrees fro-"

The Virtue hits the gunship like a shovel clotheslining a hummingbird. Damien, Anna, and Tyrin watch in awe as the transport careens through the burning remnants of the gunship, making a half pinwheel before crashing to a burning stop in one of the fields to the north.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:58:42 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2: Dropping like flies.
« Reply #8207 on: September 19, 2013, 11:03:31 pm »

"I brought her here to parley. Wouldn't it be useful to ally with her organization?" Dom asked, deciding to start out with 'reasonable'.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8208 on: September 19, 2013, 11:08:35 pm »

"I brought her here to parley. Wouldn't it be useful to ally with her organization?" Dom asked, deciding to start out with 'reasonable'.

Taric rolls his eyes. "She wouldn't consider it. If I could have just bought her the proverbial pony and brought her over to our side, don't you think I would have tried it already?" Taric sighs. "Watch. Ashley," he says, addressing the cyborg as though she were slightly hard of hearing. "Are there any circumstances under which your organization would consider allying itself with me?"
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:12:11 pm by Draignean »
---

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8209 on: September 19, 2013, 11:08:53 pm »

(Well Powder, you kinda did just save Zako and Tiruin. Even if James has no clue what the ship just hit XD)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8210 on: September 19, 2013, 11:19:42 pm »

((Whew... That was close. Too close. I figured that he shielded the pilot with a mindbar, but I forgot about shields on the craft itself...))

Anna blinked a few times in shock. "Son of a bitch... That's something you don't see everyday." It then occurred to her that she was still alive and that judging by the lack of gunshots from where her teammate headed, Tyrin was still alive too.

Not today death... Not today...

Head in the direction that Tyrin went as quickly as I can manage, staying in as much cover as possible. Keep an eye out for him and regroup.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:23:03 pm by Zako »

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8211 on: September 19, 2013, 11:23:16 pm »

"If you could prove that you are not the Voice"
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8212 on: September 19, 2013, 11:32:21 pm »

Taric throws up his hands. "As I said. It's impossible. I'm damaged goods to her and her superiors. There is literally no way for me to prove that my personality is my own, or close enough, without actually taking her on a spin through my head. And, in a wonderful catch-22, if I do that she'll be considered damaged goods and untrustworthy by the rest of her organization." Taric shakes his head. "Honestly, Dominique, I already thought about this. There was a reason I asked you to just shoot her. No dramatic monologues, no attempting to bring her into the fold with the power of friendship, just a quick double-tap."

"Speaking of double-taps," he adds, "where is Harry?"
---

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8213 on: September 19, 2013, 11:36:15 pm »

"I don't know. and yes there is basically nothing you can do to convince me to ally, but if you allow me to limit your access to our network, I will advocate letting you be."
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8214 on: September 19, 2013, 11:38:57 pm »

((That is truly amazing. O_o
Crossover of a crossover.

..Ok posting and editing up later. Too busy rereading again and again.))

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8215 on: September 19, 2013, 11:42:31 pm »

"I don't know. and yes there is basically nothing you can do to convince me to ally, but if you allow me to limit your access to our network, I will advocate letting you be."

"You sabotaged this base's communications," Taric says dryly, "I think that's about as limited as you can get. However, I cannot agree to long term severance. I'm building an empire here, and I'm going to need connections. What I can do is agree not to contact your organization, if that's anything to un-bunch their collective panties." Taric begins to finger his collar. "I also find it exceptionally difficult to believe that you 'don't know' where Harry is. Dominique, did you see him?"
---

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8216 on: September 19, 2013, 11:46:44 pm »

"We cut our communications as a safety measure"

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8217 on: September 20, 2013, 12:24:21 am »

"No, I didn't see either of her buddies," Dom said. "Why? Do you know something I don't, boss?"
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8218 on: September 20, 2013, 12:33:36 am »

Gunfire. Explosives. Osmium slug. High calibre. Armor piercing. Finely made..
And then more fire. Screaming. Impact. Crash.

Tyrin groaned as the debris fell all around him, coating his face-and if not for the colonist helping him-would've been his downfall.

"Ally..up north." he said, gritting his teeth against the pain that was his chest wound. It would hold for now, but he wasn't sure just how well he was stabilizing. His mind was a mix of sludge, to say bluntly. He could only concentrate on the thoughts that kept him conscious--that brought him this far. Those who were in this fight, to protect those fighting alongside them. "Anna. Jenna. Ced. Boris. Safety. North."

His vision was hazy, but he could make out the visage of the lad that carried him this far. "If I don't make it, run for them. Save yourself."

But he couldn't stop thinking about the last explosion. It was to the east..and quite much higher than they were. Did someone fire a projectile at the gunship? "What was that?"

Cue ensuing dramatics. Hobble to safety! Provide suppressive fire with my Broadbeam--that is, take a precise shot at one of the enemy troopers clearly in sight (from the map). If not, go to suppressive fire.

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8219 on: September 20, 2013, 06:13:45 am »

Damien watches with a sort of detached interest as the gunship experiences a sudden and quite unplanned mid-air collision.
"Well now. That makes things interesting. I like interesting." He turns to the soldiers again. "Right. Hold your fire. I'm going in. They have a very skilled psionic there."
Go into the building in as non-threatening manner as I can.
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 602