Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 527861 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2: Good Job Breaking It, Hero
« Reply #8100 on: August 14, 2013, 09:18:14 pm »

((How much of this thread would you all recommend I read before actually making a character?))

((This post contains a synopsis of the gist of events prior to the great emptiness. It leaves out a few things, (a lot) but a great deal of what was left out (particularly the UNENDING AND HIDEOUSLY BORING trek through the facility) contains bits of plot threads that never got completed. Partially because nobody bothers to use items I give them that aren't guns. Ever.

Of course, on the non-plot related side, you'll be missing great and hilarious character interaction.))

((Thanks! Now I know enough to make a character, but I'll gradually read the whole thing to get a gradual understanding of the details and quirks of the universe and it's people.))
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8101 on: August 17, 2013, 02:35:04 pm »

*poke?*

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8102 on: August 17, 2013, 02:50:23 pm »

*poke?*

Yes yes, it's Tiruin's fault. He got rolls that kept getting other people killed and making me re-write the turn. I need to proofread a little, but it should be out in less than an hour.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8103 on: August 17, 2013, 02:51:05 pm »

Hahahaha. Don't fudge the rolls, mang.
NO, WAIT-
(and then James died)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8104 on: August 17, 2013, 03:06:20 pm »

*poke?*

Yes yes, it's Tiruin's fault. *She got rolls that kept getting other people killed and making me re-write the turn. I need to proofread a little, but it should be out in less than an hour.

FTFY. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8105 on: August 17, 2013, 03:11:37 pm »

*poke?*

Yes yes, it's Tiruin's fault. *She got rolls that kept getting other people killed and making me re-write the turn. I need to proofread a little, but it should be out in less than an hour.

FTFY. :P

SHE'S PLAYING A HE! IT'S CONFUSING!  >:(
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8106 on: August 17, 2013, 03:12:07 pm »

James Evan

Oh. Oh shit. Tarran hadn't made it?! "Oh, fuck, I don't know! I asked him to come to the cockpit! Where did you last hear from him?! I, shit... I'll look for him in the drop suit, I guess, but, fuck, will that kill me too? Shit. Fuck." James, panicked, put on one of the drop suits, and prepared to rush out of the cockpit.
Put on the drop suit. If Hoke doesn't ridicule me for stupidity, look for Tarran.

You pull yourself into one of the drop suits. It's a very awkward fit, partly because the suit was never designed to allow alacrity, and partly because you're wearing it over your body armor. You're pretty sure it's not on exactly right, but you don't have a lot of time figure out what all the buckles are for.
   "Tarran never left engineering," Hoke says through grit teeth. "Don't know how much of him is still left."
     You turn to leave
    "Hey," Hoke calls just before you step out. "When it's time, I'm ejecting the cockpit. You'll feel it when I leave control, and you better be out by then. If you can't help him, you can't help him. Don't be a hero." For a split second Hoke removes his gaze from the almost non-functional controls, giving you with a look that says he means every word. He's surprisingly calm, but, then again, he's already had to come to terms with the fact that he isn't alive.

You leave the cockpit and head back through the lounge. The smoke is making your head spin sickeningly, and the hole in the side of the ship is larger than your remember it. [Luck 15] The ship shakes and groans, but you keep your feet as you head back through the ship.
    It's in the hallway that branches off into the ship's luxury quarters that you encounter the first major problem. You know that the door to engineering is down at the end of this hallway, but you can't see it through the fog that fills the air. The fog is a dull off-white color and is being vented from a rupture in the ceiling. You can't see what exactly is emitting the vapor, but it is probably an unfortunate combination of irreparable and irreplaceable. [Hidden Roll] It's hard to tell inside the dropsuit, but you don't think the fog is terribly dangerous.

Spoiler:  James Evan (click to show/hide)

---

Ashley Fey

"OK i'l let you out for a talk, I doubt we will be able to reach a concencus but I actually like you Dom, and I would rather nto hurt you could I avoid it, the Immortals are going to ban an issue however."

Let Dom out, still lock the other Red maintenance doors, get to her without encountering an immortal if possible, otherwise take it down

The desire for pragmatic justice wars with your desire to not let Dominique sacrifice her life for reasons so twisted. In the end, you choose to open the door holding Dominique back. She deserves to know what's going on, and meeting her face to face is the best chance to convince her of what Taric has become. You don't know if you can kill her, if comes to that, but this at least gives her a chance to see the truth and end this without bloodshed.
    You step into the middle of the room and a send a signal to open the red maintenance, waiting for Dominique to make her move.
  [Hidden Roll]

Spoiler:  Ashley Fey (click to show/hide)

---

Dominique Wakeman

"OK i'l let you out for a talk, I doubt we will be able to reach a concencus but I actually like you Dom, and I would rather nto hurt you could I avoid it, the Immortals are going to ban an issue however."

Let Dom out, still lock the other Red maintenance doors, get to her without encountering an immortal if possible, otherwise take it down

You hear a brief fuzz in the PA system when you call out to Emily. You'd gather that she's here, but unable to seize enough control to actually speak with you. Her assistance, however, turns out to be unnecessary when Ashley makes the surprising decision to open the maintenance door. You may still have to kill her, but Ashley has at least proven that she's willing to listen to reason. You have no idea whether you can convince her to drop her cause or believe in Taric, but now there's at least a possibility of peaceful resolution.
   You step back into the maintenance lounge. Ashley is already standing there, waiting for you. You stop about ten feet away from her, ready for whatever comes next.

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

---

Tyrin and Anna

Anna breathed deeply, trying to focus her mind through the phantom pain. She should have realised that the colonists were being overly aggressive for a good reason, and now she was paying for her lack of foresight. Thankfully, it appears that luck had been on her side somewhat as she could have been a lot worse off than she was now. Now it was time to strike back, but not only with her mind but something possibly more devastating, namely, her words. A plan began to form in her mind as she started talking.

"Of course you would have to resort to hiding yourself like that, just to take on us so called ragtag fools. Your lack of confidence is plain to me, even if it's not for the others present. The fact that I'm still conscious right now confirms this. You don't think you can take us, and have to resort to playing it safe and being sneaky. But you have forgotten one thing..."

A small grin crosses her face as she looks back up to the technocrat psionic. She could only hope that Tyrin and Jenna got the signal.

"I'm not the only one you have to deal with."

Focus through the pain and make a mindbar on myself and Tyrin while I talk. Use my powers over the human language to break her focus and seed doubt in her mind so to weaken her to mental attacks, or at least put her off balance, and then hit her with an Override that forces the hand that's holding her hostage to open. Then shoot her with a burst from the Renfield once the little girl jerks away from her.

Tyrin looked at Jenna and saw the same reflection in her eyes signalling her point. He hoped he knew what Anna was doing--psionics was much out of line with what he knew, only relying on intuition at best.

He moved Jenna to a safer location away from the door, catching Anna's shove of his pistol and...well. quickly fired a shot-not at the Technocrat Psionic, but at the wall closest to her ear, to perhaps distract her only for a moment to get a clear view.

The young man could feel his heart twist and churn at the sight of the dead girl, and he averted his eyes from the grieving people. Though he wished to yell something, anything, to relieve the pain of war.

There was nothing he could do but focus on their goal.

'If only I could be as strong as Anna..'

"Yes, we surrender!"

Sneak closer to get a clear shot, and aim to distract or cripple the enemy Technocrat Psionic.

'Jenna, keep the door held. I'm sorry I've to do this, but I'll be back.' Tyrin whispered.

Please please please notice my tone and take it as a token note Anna..

Spoiler: initiative (click to show/hide)

[Luck 2] An inexplicable expression of irritation crosses the Manipulator's face, [Anna P. Empathetics 18+2] and Anna can detect a faint but very definite signal being sent to somewhere in the Technocrat's jaw. "Well, love, I'm afraid it's rather time for you to make your choice. Things are going to get very sticky in a moment, and I'd hate for your pretty face to get ruined without a good reason." The Technocrat's demonic smile returns, and her hand massages the throat of the girl she's holding. "So, what is it going to be?"
    Anna struggles to organize her thoughts through the pain, [Soak 5 (no reduction)] finding little reserve in any of the Unchained's training. Practice, even live fire, isn't the same as being tortured by a Technocrat who genuinely wants to hurt you. Still, Anna managed a proud smile as she addressed the other psionic. "Of course you would have to resort to hiding yourself like that, just to take on us so called ragtag fools. Your lack of confidence is plain to me, even if it's not for the others present. The fact that I'm still conscious right now confirms this. You don't think you can take us, and have to resort to playing it safe and being sneaky. But you have forgotten one thing..."
   [Talking 12+1+1-2 Vs Talking 21+1] The Technocrat's smile stretches and she laughs, clearly delighted at the spirit that Anna is showing. "And that would be what, love?"
   "I'm not the only one you have to deal with," Anna says, finishing in a growl as she attempts to close off her mind. [Mindbar 6-3-2-1+1] [Control 19] (-7 Stamina) Anna's field of vision narrows and her hands grow numb as the pain becomes overwhelming. She stops before she blacks out, and her half finished psychic work fades away rapidly. Cold sweat beading on her skin, Anna throws herself into a last desperate attempt to get the Technocrat to release the hostage. [Override 13-3-1-1+2] [Luck 16] [Control 4] (-10 stamina) (Technocrat Manipulator Stamina -10). The attack hits a solid wall, a barrier of mental nothingness. A barrier undeniably similar to the one Anna had failed to create. The Technocrat's methods are different from the Unchained, but the mindbar functions identically. The woman was prepared for this eventuality, she may even have been barred from the moment she got off the transport.
    Credulity is written plain across the Technocrat's face. "That was it? The last mighty action of a Rebel soldier?" The technocrat's tone is honestly disbelieving, and perhaps a little disgusted. "If your entire rebellion is as weak as that little show of defiance, well, I'm ashamed that we haven't crushed you already." She sighs. "This has been disappointing, particularly since this precious little thing has to die because of your absolute ineptitude." The psionicist nuzzles the six year old's head in a grotesque parody of affection, her hands clenching to break the girl's neck.   
    "NO, wait! We surrender!" Tyrin shouts at the last minute. He'd crawled along the wall, close enough to get a clear view of Anna kneeling in front of the Technocrat.
    [Lie 5+1 Vs Detect lie 3+2] The Technocrat's unshakeable arrogance was the only thing that kept her from seeing through Tyrin's transparent lie. "Well, well," she coos to Anna, her hands relaxing on the girl's throat. "at least the others in your group aren't as foolish as you are." She turns her leering face to Tyrin. "You're not brave, boy, but you're not stu-"
    [Quickshot 22+4+1-3 Vs Manipulator Precognition 13+1] Tyrin's hand blurs as the reflexes of youth, sharpened by the life a dealer, raise his pistol and fire in one smooth motion. [Confirm Critical Finesse 21+1 Vs Technocrat Soak 11] (No armor on head. HP -16x2x4=-128)
    The technocrat's monologue breaks off as she stares at Tyrin. A few drops of blood run out of the woman's nose, and she reaches up to feel the neat circular hole above her left eyebrow. "Oh," she whispers softly. Her body hits the ground a moment later, resting next to the corpse of the girl she murdered.
    Jenna, meanwhile, looses one final hail of laser blasts on the retreating technocrat trooper. [Quickshot 15-1-3] [Luck 1] Missing him completely and draining the rest of her cell in the process.

Spoiler:  Allies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Tyrin Laveros (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Anna Witheld (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 03:16:07 pm by Draignean »
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8107 on: August 17, 2013, 03:16:43 pm »

(Right now I think Powder is the only person playing a character the same sex as he is. XD)

"Alonso, Basilio! Cancel previous orders and return to me! Do not engage any sort of hostilities!" Dom yelled, hoping to get the attention of her Immortals before they opened fire. While it was true that if one of them were to shoot Ash in the back of the head while she wasn't expecting it that that would fix her problem, it wouldn't feel right. Ashley wanted to talk, so they would talk. "Right, then. Now, what would it take for you to not blow this place up?" she asked, addressing the cyborg now.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2: Then more people died.
« Reply #8108 on: August 17, 2013, 04:00:32 pm »

"I don't know if I can, NOT, blow this place up, but I guess undeniable proof that the Taric that you think is running htis place is not just the Voice in a meatsuit, but If you can promise not to stop me, I can give you however long you need to evacuate, Hell I will even help you"
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8109 on: August 17, 2013, 04:25:07 pm »

"That's the thing. I want this place intact. I don't know how long I'll need it." Dom tilted her head. "So... what you're saying is that you're programmed to blow this place up? Why else would you not be able to avoid destroying the base?"

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8110 on: August 17, 2013, 04:31:56 pm »

"BEcause leaving someone that is possibly the voice alive to continue to manipulate is too risky, so maybe you can try to prove to me that it really is Taric working with you?"
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8111 on: August 17, 2013, 04:48:42 pm »

"I don't know if I can prove a negative, or if I can prove that it's Taric without taking you to him, and I don't think you want me to do that. I don't know if he'd want me to bring you to him. Last I heard he wanted to study you, specifically your cybernetics." Dom shrugged. "All I can do is ask you to trust my sincerity when I say that I believe that it is still Taric Sizier. A little different, admittedly, but only in that he seems more confident in his situation and less of a pervert... but I'm the only one left who knows him at all with Captain Smith out of the picture."

She rubbed at her eyebrows. "Anyway, I noticed you didn't say you weren't programmed to destroy the base..." she said, leaving the statement open.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8112 on: August 17, 2013, 04:59:43 pm »

"I am not programed to do anything! since I was liberated my actions have been decided by me, that I am not pure flesh and blood does not change that, why is this place so important to you?, and I am afraid your assurances will not cut it, I have experience with this "father" and I am very sceptical of the chances of one man beating him in a battle of wills"

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8113 on: August 17, 2013, 05:02:15 pm »

(will respond tomorrow, library closing)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8114 on: August 17, 2013, 05:06:16 pm »

(will respond tomorrow, library closing)

((Well that seems as good a point as any to interject my own problems. Fall semester, for me anyway, starts bright and early on the 19th. I can hope to keep turns coming, but they're probably going to be a little slower. Slower than the last couple, not slower than the 120+ day trainwreck. Hopefully.))
---
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 602