Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 528638 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22 (Sci-Fi RTD) Ch. 2 Immortality and crazy, lots of crazy.
« Reply #3810 on: May 29, 2011, 11:33:26 pm »

All right then, changing my action. I'll go back to my previous one here in a moment and strike it out.

"Here," Dom said, handing the kit to James. He could finish patching himself up while he took cover. "Gimme that," she said, snatching the light from Tarran. The boss was panicking and he'd said she was his second in command; that meant sometimes even though she didn't want to lead she'd have to make decisions. She shouldered the Fuath in exchange for the Abassy so she'd heave a hand free for the light, which she kept raised north towards where the projectile had come from. She ran east, away from the group, with the light on to attract their attention. Come on, you bastards, track me!

She looked for some cover while taking a potshot in the hostile's direction, just to keep them on their toes.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: May 29, 2011, 11:49:30 pm »

It has a cylinder.

And it is awesome. It looks like dom's kind of gun.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This one I'll keep for the chimera or something.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: May 29, 2011, 11:53:30 pm »

It has a cylinder.

And it is awesome. It looks like dom's kind of gun.
Sexy. Nice one.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: May 29, 2011, 11:55:13 pm »

It is indeed very nice. :3 And yeah, the other design you mentioned would work pretty well for the chimera, I think. ^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: May 29, 2011, 11:57:15 pm »

http://www.flickr.com/groups/pimpmygun/discuss/72157624268999163/

This link holds a load of custom parts, might be useful. It's where I got the cylinders from.

EDIT: Wrong link, edited.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 12:07:45 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: May 30, 2011, 01:52:11 am »

Powder, what is your action for the turn?

(Other than avoid using you as a meatshield.)
---

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: May 30, 2011, 05:10:42 am »

Problem is that it has questionable uses in anything but long ranges:

In short range, it needs no Rangefinder (he's in your face, dude), or compensator (he's in your face). And the fogless is not really needed. It's just unneeded in short range.

In medium range, it needs no rangefinder (he shouldn't be that far away). The compensator may be somewhat useful in the later ranges of engagement (he shouldn't be that far away), But the fogless is once again, not needed. It's also still more expensive compared to the alternatives. Questionable.

In long range, a rangefinder is useful, and the compensator is also somewhat useful. However, you need stealth when being a sniper, fogless is not needed, and it's more expensive compared to a scope. May be useful.

This means in anything other than long range weapons don't have many have uses. The rangefinder might already be included in this age of scopes (I mean, it's quite important and it's already in normal Rangefinders), and the fogless is not really needed. The compensator is the only good thing I can think of, though it's not always guaranteed (since things move in unpredictable patterns), and standing/not moving targets are just plain better targets.

Also, Chance To Hit? Dude, the world is unpredictable. The calculator would be mildly inaccurate at best with it's chances.

You could make a pretty decent stealth version, low reflectivity black-out glass on the fronting the sight.

Or get ocular implants, have the sight picture played directly into your eye. 
Good point. Still doesn't make the holograph more effective in my opinion.

Short range: Scope will actually hinder you, so a holographic sight has a much greater advantage there.
Medium range: Still has the benefit of reducing tunnel vision for the wielder
Long range: Would actually be more stealthy at this range due to the lack of scope glare.

The implants have the disadvantage of being implants, normal scopes are heavier and reduce your field of vision. I'd prefer the holographic at any range to a conventional.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: May 30, 2011, 05:27:34 am »

You could also probably make a zooming holographic scope in this game. The tech level present should be capable of doing that.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: May 30, 2011, 05:28:13 am »

You could also probably make a zooming holographic scope in this game. The tech level present should be capable of doing that.
I think that was implied.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: May 30, 2011, 09:18:26 am »

James would do so and heal himself- he was in pretty horrible condition right now.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: May 30, 2011, 01:05:01 pm »

Short range: Scope will actually hinder you, so a holographic sight has a much greater advantage there.
Ironsights, dude. Ironsights. Also, in close range, do you really need to put your eye in a scope and not just aim in their general direction?

Medium range: Still has the benefit of reducing tunnel vision for the wielder
Point.

Long range: Would actually be more stealthy at this range due to the lack of scope glare.
On the other hand, it would be glowing green or some other color.

The implants have the disadvantage of being implants, normal scopes are heavier and reduce your field of vision. I'd prefer the holographic at any range to a conventional.
And here is where I disagree with you. I still don't see a cost vs usage advantage in anything other than the Laelaps. And even then I really don't see using the Laelaps in close range as a good idea (Average to Decent damage) compared to the alternatives that can deal out a lot more damage, leaving it to medium-long range engagements which a scope could cover anyway.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:07:06 pm by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: May 30, 2011, 01:09:26 pm »

And you've forgotten the most important thing, holographics can't be damaged. Close range isn't melee range as well. I'd say that the foes we're currently fighting are at short range.

The holographic would also only turn on when the user's lead eye moved to aim with the firearm, and that it would also be a clearer sight at all ranges.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: May 30, 2011, 01:11:22 pm »

I'd disagree, 100 feet (which I'm pretty sure they're at) is more like medium to long range. Still, ocular implant + holographic sight sounds like win to me, especially since Dom never really aims anyway. It would be a great help to her, I think. ^^

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: May 30, 2011, 01:12:23 pm »

Change feet to metres and and you'd probably be right.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: May 30, 2011, 01:21:25 pm »

And you've forgotten the most important thing, holographics can't be damaged.
If sights get damaged, then there's likely already bullets in your head. Either that or you're an idiot and throw your gun into walls a lot and shouldn't really be fighting.

Close range isn't melee range as well. I'd say that the foes we're currently fighting are at short range..
I'd say long range or at the very minimum medium. They're far, far out of the way of my powerful light.

The holographic would also only turn on when the user's lead eye moved to aim with the firearm,
Wouldn't that lead to the weapon turning on whenever anything moves by the sights? I mean, there's no way for a computer to tell if the object is an eye. It's either turn on whenever anything gets near the sights, or put an implant in the user (which likely costs something too).

and that it would also be a clearer sight at all ranges.
Yes, good point.

Though I'm pretty sure any sights in these ages are pretty clear anyway. I mean, future and all.
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 602