Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148006 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1770 on: March 16, 2014, 08:01:45 pm »

I'm fairly certain that all weapons do extra damage to enemies while they are engaged in certain animations. Most of these are reeling animations, e.g the one you described, or in the case of counters, there's a small window during an enemy's attack animation that they will take extra damage if hit.

A lot of strength weapons don't have attack animations fast enough to take advantage of these windows, though, so most of the time you won't notice it without a dex weapon.

and then other times you get the satisfaction of crushing a guy to the ground with a zweihander as it's lunging at you. its my weapon of choice against silver knights. bam, right into the ground
My first playthrough I was mainly doing a bastard sword playthrough because I do like my meleee. Once my PS3 died and I got the game again I decided to try out the Zweihander, which is easy since you can get it pretty much from the start for free. As I was testing it out to see how I liked it I found myself smashing balder knights into the ground all the time, which I wasn't even aware was an actual thing, and I instantly fell in love. I wasn't even doing a full strength run, I have 30 in dex and 30 in strength, I can only imagine how powerful it is with more strength, I do about 560 damage or something when wielding it two handed.

Incidentally, the Zweihander does an insane amount of poise damage, I kinda stunned the final boss constantly in that manner with that weapon =p

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: March 18, 2014, 09:19:07 pm »

Here to report in, DS2 is just as soul crushing as the first game, if not more.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1772 on: March 18, 2014, 09:34:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: March 18, 2014, 09:39:09 pm »

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: March 18, 2014, 11:27:09 pm »

Spoiler: doublespoiler (click to show/hide)

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: March 19, 2014, 12:07:06 am »

I've had the strategy guide since day one and i can wholeheartedly assure you that the less skilled among us need not fear. its called the shrine of humanity and yes it indeed is very far into the game, in the undead crypt.

if you pray at it while hollow, with no more effigies to be had, you will be restored, over and over again. have faith, friends
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: March 19, 2014, 12:09:49 am »

The enemy extinction makes me pretty sad, though, because I love messing around in areas I'd already beaten, not for souls but just for practice and goofing off.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: March 19, 2014, 12:13:23 am »

The enemy extinction makes me pretty sad, though, because I love messing around in areas I'd already beaten, not for souls but just for practice and goofing off.

nah man, it was a happy goddamn day once the damn torturers stopped showing up on the road to undead purgatory. straight nope. its actually where i discovered the phenomenon, i was all "effin sweet, screw those guys"
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: March 19, 2014, 12:20:58 am »

Note that I haven't actually played DS2 yet. I'll get my first chance this weekend (with any luck).
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: March 19, 2014, 01:51:02 am »

As a member of the glorious PC-gaming Masterrace, the LP's of DS2 taunt me greatly. Its still almost a month til I can play. *sniff*

Altough I gotta admit, the more I read about it, the less interested I get. It seems they went almost overboard with the Difficulty, just to live up to all the hype. I mean, the half health thing just seems like its meant to actually point and laugh at you. I got a great deal of satisfaction out of finishsing Dark Souls - Prepare to Die, especially since the Addon-content was hard as hell, and I really felt like I accomplished something after seeing those end credits.

But reading about DS2, it reads less like "Overcome the odds and then bath in the glory of your achievement!" and more "Hit your head against this Brick Wall until we say stop.". Not only that, but the whole thing further promotes the allready Toxic Community DS allways had. This whole "Get gud scrub." attitude only worsened with DS2, and just like the first Game, I allready made up my mind of playing it completely offline.

Is the experience still satisfying? Is it still "Fair" difficulty? Im kind of scared that its just gonna be a frustration rollercoaster, which would be dissapointing since I loved DS1.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: March 19, 2014, 02:20:41 am »

No, it's not unfair in it's difficulty. There are ways to mitigate the HP loss from hollowing, even completely if you're willing to put in a few souls and some extra work. It's not even that big a deal if you are full hollow, it's meant to give you an incentive to stay human, not completely cripple you. I've been playing as a member of a difficulty-increasing covenant and I'll admit that it has not been easy, there are some points where I thought I might give up, but that's only made my victories all the sweeter. I've also heard people who aren't intentionally increasing the difficulty say that it is a bit easier, or at least more "fair" than DS1.

If you liked Dark Souls, then you definitely shouldn't be put off by DS2. I'd say it's at least as good, and probably, imo, a lot better. I haven't seen anything that's turned me off yet.

Also, just saying but this should be in the Dark Souls 2 thread.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: March 19, 2014, 03:29:22 am »

Also, just saying but this should be in the Dark Souls 2 thread.

ima level. i derailed to dark souls 2 when i couldn't find that thread

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: March 19, 2014, 05:11:37 am »

Don't be too put off. There's a ring that limits HP loss down to 75%, and I feel like I usually have more HP than I did in DS1. Also, even though they're not farmable, effigies are found as items more than humanity was in the first game.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: March 19, 2014, 05:34:20 pm »

Don't be too put off. There's a ring that limits HP loss down to 75%, and I feel like I usually have more HP than I did in DS1. Also, even though they're not farmable, effigies are found as items more than humanity was in the first game.
But humanities were farmable. You'll eventually run out of effigies, right?

The ring you're talking about sounds like a ring that was in Demon's Souls.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: March 19, 2014, 05:44:55 pm »

But humanities were farmable. You'll eventually run out of effigies, right?

The ring you're talking about sounds like a ring that was in Demon's Souls.

You kidding? the game practically floods you with effigies. Not enough to be wasteful, but enough that you really can afford to use one every once in a while.

Also the ring is actually 80% interestingly enough.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 127