Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 147992 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1755 on: March 13, 2014, 05:53:48 am »

Yeah, it was definitely downgraded. These are ps3s & Xbox 360s here. Of course they had to tone it down after the issues with blighttown.

PC master race reporting in.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: March 13, 2014, 06:29:09 am »

Sen's Fortress is kicking my ass. I can get to the roof without too much trouble now, but hot damn, I have no idea what to do once I get up there. I killed the tower knight that was up there then I promptly fell back into the fortress to my death shortly after.

I also think this character might end up gimped for the endgame.
Basically, I've been avoiding weapons that scale with stats, as such, I have the Gravelord Sword, which hardly scales at all.
So I guess the question is, will this gimp me later in the game? Should the man serpents take 2 two-handed heavy attacks to kill?
Doing this HAS allowed me to pump tons of points into my vitality and endurance, but eh, tankiness will only get you so far in this game, as we all know.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: March 13, 2014, 06:58:16 am »

I really hope the graphics get boosted back up for PC release !
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: March 13, 2014, 08:27:40 am »

Sen's Fortress is kicking my ass. I can get to the roof without too much trouble now, but hot damn, I have no idea what to do once I get up there. I killed the tower knight that was up there then I promptly fell back into the fortress to my death shortly after.

Once you reach the roof, you're almost done. There's a bonfire close to the entrance to the roof area that you can reach by jumping down to it. Then you go across the narrow bridge and up some stairs to the boss fog gate. If you want to make it easy on yourself, you can continue a bit further across another narrow bridge and summon Iron Tarkus, who will kill the boss for you on his own.

I also think this character might end up gimped for the endgame.
Basically, I've been avoiding weapons that scale with stats, as such, I have the Gravelord Sword, which hardly scales at all.
So I guess the question is, will this gimp me later in the game? Should the man serpents take 2 two-handed heavy attacks to kill?
Doing this HAS allowed me to pump tons of points into my vitality and endurance, but eh, tankiness will only get you so far in this game, as we all know.

There's nothing wrong with using weapons that don't scale. You probably shouldn't put more than 40 into endurance and 50 into vitality, though. The man serpents are pretty damn tough, but it doesn't really matter that much whether they take one hit or five. What matters is whether you can kill them without taking damage yourself. Having tons of stamina and a big shield is a perfectly legit way of accomplishing that.

I really hope the graphics get boosted back up for PC release !

Yeah, if we get this ugly piece of crap on the PC as well, I'm going to be severely disappointed.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: March 13, 2014, 08:42:33 am »

Thanks for the advice, Ill need to see if I can't muster up the robustuality to finish this motherfudger off.
Is the Eagle Shield worth using? I'm too shit at parrying to ever get use out of it, and frankly, being able to hide behind a nice wall whenever I want to would be nice, I think.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: March 13, 2014, 10:19:09 am »

Eagle shield is decent, but it's not 100% physical protection.  I usually use the Greatshield, found atop Sen's especially in the merchant across the jump, but usually use the Black Iron Shield shortly after from Anor Londo.  If you can kill Shive of the East, his shield is pretty amazing.  It's a 'medium' shield but it acts like 'great' in a lot of ways, without the weight or strength requirements.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1761 on: March 13, 2014, 10:53:37 am »

Hmm, a note- great shield 'heavy deflection' only works against NPCs & mobs according to the interwebs. This includes shiva's iron round shield.

Also, having only recently discovered the joys of parrying, parrying is joyful.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: March 13, 2014, 11:22:53 am »

Hmm, a note- great shield 'heavy deflection' only works against NPCs & mobs according to the interwebs. This includes shiva's iron round shield.

Also, having only recently discovered the joys of parrying, parrying is joyful.
Sort of.  The deflection part doesn't work against players, they can strike your tower shield with a dagger and still follow through.  BUT certain attacks are too strong for certain shields, like the zweihander's strong attack will just plow through a medium shield as if they didn't have it.  If you're using a tower shield, the attack still hits your shield and doesn't bounce, but it also doesn't ignore your shield because of heavy attacks.

In other words, it'll still block better, it just doesn't bounce blades.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: March 13, 2014, 02:09:04 pm »

had to hunt down a dark souls thread somewhere, anywhere, because im excited for what i just found out. so i was messing around in dark souls 2 last night, got through the whole area, when i died. i decided screw it and turned my console off for the night without saving or anything.

I'm playing again this morning, when i notice the items are there like i never picked them up. i now have 2 dark pyromancy flames. so hard shutoff on a death on offline mode= reset of area and not inventory? i absolutely had to tell everyone about a possible item duplication glitch. if it can be repeated elsewhere for a proof, ill do what i can
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: March 13, 2014, 02:14:20 pm »

You'd think that'd be a bug they fixed early.  I can't imagine that not a single beta tester ragequit.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: March 13, 2014, 02:15:49 pm »

and in the gutter, of all places, super dark, super blight-town-y, which is weirder
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: March 16, 2014, 06:21:50 am »

So I've been messing around with a dex character because screw finishing Sen's Fortress on my main for the moment.
And I noticed something a bit interesting with the Scimitar
It seems to do a decent amount of bonus damage when enemies are reeling from being blocked.
Is this a normal thing with all weapons that I've failed to notice until now, or is it a dex weapon thing?

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: March 16, 2014, 07:16:52 am »

I'm fairly certain that all weapons do extra damage to enemies while they are engaged in certain animations. Most of these are reeling animations, e.g the one you described, or in the case of counters, there's a small window during an enemy's attack animation that they will take extra damage if hit.

A lot of strength weapons don't have attack animations fast enough to take advantage of these windows, though, so most of the time you won't notice it without a dex weapon.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: March 16, 2014, 10:39:04 am »

I'm fairly certain that all weapons do extra damage to enemies while they are engaged in certain animations. Most of these are reeling animations, e.g the one you described, or in the case of counters, there's a small window during an enemy's attack animation that they will take extra damage if hit.

A lot of strength weapons don't have attack animations fast enough to take advantage of these windows, though, so most of the time you won't notice it without a dex weapon.

and then other times you get the satisfaction of crushing a guy to the ground with a zweihander as it's lunging at you. its my weapon of choice against silver knights. bam, right into the ground

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: March 16, 2014, 07:40:30 pm »

So apparently things that are hard on one playstyle will be cool runnings on another.
Like, I got a Dex character with all the stock Wanderer gear to the Blighttown Bonfire in one session with no deaths other than a few on the Capra Demon. And one bullcrap death I'm not counting from torch hollows.
Meanwhile, my tanky-tons of vitality and smash shit with gravelord sword-character didn't want to get past the Moonlight Butterfly or the Gaping Dragon at all.
Or maybe I'm just getting badasser. I dunno.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 127