Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148297 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1365 on: June 11, 2013, 09:50:40 pm »

Sounds like an excellent opportunity to give up.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: June 11, 2013, 10:01:19 pm »

It's very important to know when to strike with Artorias. I've found that keeping your distance and dodging his attacks when he tries to get close is a good way to get hits in while avoiding damage if you don't have a high stability shield. Also, when he tries to charge up, run in, two hand your weapon and start wailing on him. He gets a defence buff when he charges but if you manage to break his poise he won't get his huge attack bonus and will be stunned for a second. That's pretty much essential to know since a buffed NG+ Artorias can easily kill even tank characters in a couple hits.

As for PvP, I'm not really that experienced. I've heard some bad things about the township, but you're pretty much going to find the same shit in every PvP hotspot so I wouldn't judge it based on that.
I have heard that the Moonpit (The moonlight butterfly area) is pretty good but when I went there with my level ~100 character it was a lot less active than the Burg. I've only ever been able to fight 3-5 different people there so I can't really attest to its quality.

Really though, if you want actual quality PvP you should probably join a fightclub with a group of people you trust not to be jerks.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: June 11, 2013, 10:15:08 pm »

But meeting unexpected people is one of the best parts of PvP.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: June 11, 2013, 10:20:53 pm »

Of course, and the unique multiplayer system is one of the things that make me love Dark Souls. It's just nice sometimes to go fight someone who isn't using a generic tryhard build and just backstab fishes the whole fight. Stuff like that is far too common with random PvP.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: June 11, 2013, 11:17:49 pm »

Have you tried hanging out in the forest around SL40? It's usually pretty nice there, in my experience.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: June 11, 2013, 11:28:32 pm »

Forest is pretty decent in my experience.  Playing as a forest defender ~SL50 had some entertaining battles with polite people.  I rarely won, but had fun.

On PC, that is.  On PS3 I got invaded by a dickwraith using lightning bleed weapons in the Parish, who slaughtered me and my sunbro help and then called me a ganker because I wanted to jolly cooperate against the boss...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: June 12, 2013, 08:52:11 am »

I'm not big into duels or anything, I do like low level forest a lot.  My favorite PvP is invading people who don't want to be invaded.  You know, PvP with stakes.  The only problem is that currently my only character who can do that is my SL50 who's a little on the twinky side (chaos flamberge and lightning shotel and 76 poise, plus hornet ring).  Against NGers it's less PvP, more murder.  NG+ers though, that's where the fun is.

Fighting SL70-100s (that being archdemons in NG or most of NG+) who are otherwise trying to get through the level is the most satisfying kind of PvP I've found.  That shit gets tooth and nail.
Shoes...

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: June 12, 2013, 09:38:37 am »

It's very important to know when to strike with Artorias. I've found that keeping your distance and dodging his attacks when he tries to get close is a good way to get hits in while avoiding damage if you don't have a high stability shield. Also, when he tries to charge up, run in, two hand your weapon and start wailing on him. He gets a defence buff when he charges but if you manage to break his poise he won't get his huge attack bonus and will be stunned for a second. That's pretty much essential to know since a buffed NG+ Artorias can easily kill even tank characters in a couple hits.

With a decently fast weapon, like Uchi you can get a hit at Artorias between each of his attacks, even the triple-front-flip combo has a window for you to slash him.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: June 12, 2013, 09:49:57 am »

Lucky me I had chaos blade.

I beat him.  I didn't know you could poise break him during his power up move.

EDIT:  Sure enough, laggy Brazilian gankers are running Oolacile Township.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:52:45 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: June 12, 2013, 09:51:44 am »

Sounds like an excellent opportunity to give up.

Don't you crack and go hollow...
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: June 12, 2013, 12:25:49 pm »

I've deleted over 20 characters. I'd say the average play time for each was 5 hours. Some had almost 20 put in.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: June 12, 2013, 12:42:23 pm »

I've deleted over 20 characters. I'd say the average play time for each was 5 hours. Some had almost 20 put in.
Weakness: Giving up

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: June 12, 2013, 01:12:25 pm »

Weakness: Giving up

In his defense, the game is total garbage for the first few hours, and i say that as a person who has a hard on whenever someone says "Dark Souls".

Almost didn't get past myself, but the rewards are worth it all in the end.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: June 12, 2013, 01:34:49 pm »

I gave up like 6 times and wouldn't play for a week, but would always come back to my same character.

That in mind, Jolly Cooperation is available on PC and PS3 from me.  I can fairly easy roll up a character for any early game problems and sunbro the fuck out of any issues.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: June 12, 2013, 02:04:31 pm »

I recently beat Sif. He wasn't all that hard, really. Easier then dealing with Nito's FRICKING BONE DOGS. But yeah, killed him, found the cat.
" I don't understand what you're saying! Yes! Join a covenant? You're a cat! I like cats! Yes!"
Thus was my reasoning for joining the Cat Covenant. I invaded the same two pairs of guys farming people like me for souls twice each, abandoned the covenant.  Then I went on and found Solaire and his new hat. That was sad. "amazing armour ahead" they said.
Be wary of liar.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 127