Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148333 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1335 on: June 07, 2013, 03:49:13 pm »

Sunbro is the only covenant option.

Also, has anyone discovered the sublime joy of the B-RB attack?  I've used it twice in PvP and it killed the other guy both times.  Awesome for people who like to parry, you'll stab him while he's recovering from the parry.
I've got a heavy metal sunbro around level 50-ish.  Black Iron armor, Divine Greatsword, massive faith, and tower shield.  It's pretty awesome, all things said.

Also, there's essentially 8 parts of the game.  First bell of awakening, Second bell of awakening, Smough+Ornstein, Seath, Bed of Chaos, Nito, Four Kings, and Gwyn.  Each of these marks an objective being complete, and each of these has at least the area they occupy and the area that leads into them (Undead Burg -> Parish; Depths -> Blighttown).  All things said, the game is pretty massive, and your first few playthroughs will be slow and grinding as you try to adjust to these strange enemies and locations that make you seriously pissed off.

So to previous question: You've just run the second bell of awakening?  You've now started the game.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: June 07, 2013, 04:01:28 pm »

I have...

A level 10 Darkwraith, but I rarely use him.  He's not twinked as hell or anything, he dual-wields Dark Hands, but it still doesn't feel right.

A level 80 Oswald of Carim cosplay.  I love him, but he's been falling out of my favor.

A level 110 Black Knight, I've lost all interest in him, slow characters aren't really my style.

Swashy's level 50 Rooftop Defender.  Pretty awesome but I never seem to get any invasions with him.

A level 45 Forest Ninja, who's awesome but lately the forest has been full of some ridiculous twinks that make it impossible to do anything.

A level 75 Chaos Samurai to go with my forest ninja.  He's extremely rad, but I'm not finished with him yet, he's going to 120.
Shoes...

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: June 07, 2013, 04:46:16 pm »

Sweet for the info guys thanks.

I was also wondering if leveling slows to a crawl later on?  Ive just checked a souls per levels chart and seems it would take days of grinding to get levels after maybe level 50.  Does the amount of souls per kills increase the deeper into the game goes and enemies get more difficult?

It wouldnt be so bad if you get 1k+ per enemy later on but atm getting 120 souls per kill is going to take ages to get levels.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: June 07, 2013, 04:48:10 pm »

From the way my brother plays, you can go through the game at quite the impressive clip without taking leveling into consideration so long as you know the route the creators intended you to read a guide on to find out.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: June 07, 2013, 05:14:46 pm »

I was also wondering if leveling slows to a crawl later on?  Ive just checked a souls per levels chart and seems it would take days of grinding to get levels after maybe level 50.  Does the amount of souls per kills increase the deeper into the game goes and enemies get more difficult?

It wouldnt be so bad if you get 1k+ per enemy later on but atm getting 120 souls per kill is going to take ages to get levels.

Not at all. As the game progresses, you will collect a LOT of souls. There are items to get you to collect even more souls. In my own game, I frequently had to hoard souls so I wouldn't significantly overlevel the area around. For example, a mid-game area has enemies that give 1k souls per kill, with possible 20% or 47% (risky) bonus. It's quite easy to get more souls if need be, and any grinding you would do for items would give you more souls you would know what to do with.

Well, if you're like me and you WANT to grind for Titanite Slabs.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: June 07, 2013, 05:16:19 pm »

Yes, the rate of getting souls increases but leveling still gets harder.

Also Neonivek, maybe you should become a professional reviewer, you already talk shit about video games like it's your job.
Shoes...

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: June 07, 2013, 05:39:48 pm »

To brag about characters... I only have one, the only one I've beat the game with. SL 100, with a very healthy collection of weapons.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aaaand the game is too easy. Took down good ol' bridge drake pal without too much trouble.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 05:41:54 pm by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: June 07, 2013, 05:44:52 pm »

Anor Londo in specific drops 1,000 per Giant Guard, and you can easily bonfire respawn nearby to kill 2 Elite Giant Guards for 3,000 each +1 Silver Knight for like 1,200.  You'll want to farm these guys, too, as the giants can drop Titanite Chunks, used to level weapons from 10 to 14, and lightning weapons 5 to 9.  Armor is upgraded as a normal weapon, so your suit of 4 pieces of armor might consume like 36 Titanite Chunks, or something...

Anor Londo is also a great place for online play - Jolly Cooperation or Dickwraith.  Levels 40-45 are prime zones for online in the area, and you can get 25,000+ souls +humanity +maybe a sunlight medal for helping on Smough and Ornstein, which can get your gear maxed pretty quickly, even twinkling titanite upgrades, get decent humanity, and have fun online.  On PS3 I've got a level 45 heavy fighter (tower shield, black iron armor, black knight greatsword) who is an incredible sunbro.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: June 07, 2013, 08:15:51 pm »

Aaaand the game is too easy. Took down good ol' bridge drake pal without too much trouble.

Really? How? I've done it like five times now but the bastard still gives me trouble. It's pretty much the only boss that I consider to be genuinely hard. Or to put it another way, I still haven't found a good way to cheese him. I use the glitch that causes his big hovering-while-spewing-flame-downwards AOE attack to miss you if you stand in a particular place, but that's still not 100% reliable. If he decides to dash forward, I'm either killed by the dash attack or the follow-up.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: June 07, 2013, 10:10:48 pm »

There is a way to get the drake to turn his back to you.

He is one of the bosses you can actually outright cheap out.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: June 08, 2013, 05:40:25 am »

Another good place to farm that I think is a little easier than fighting the Big Giant Shield Dudes and dealing with Big Giant Arrows is New Londo Ruins once drained.  Run past the first two ghosts and hop down into the flooded courtyard and you can go in a big loop, killing 13000 souls worth of Darkwraiths and if you're wearing a covetous ring+10 humanity, plenty of titanite chunks.

It's risky though, Darkwraiths can totally kill your ass.
Shoes...

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: June 08, 2013, 07:13:35 am »

Not if you are good at parrying them.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: June 08, 2013, 01:14:24 pm »

Not if you are good at parrying them.

They're also really easy to backstab.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: June 08, 2013, 01:36:39 pm »

My sunbro is so grossly incandescent that she just can't contain it. It just gets everywhere, all around her.

Or in your people words, farming painted world with wrath of the gods is just silly good. Run in, oneshot everyone for 7000 exp, run back, reset.

Time for a break now but then I just need to do 105.8 more runs like that (max 30 seconds per run) so roughly 1 hour and my character will be done farming for this one. I just need to get my endurance up so I can ninja flip with the blades set.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: June 08, 2013, 05:51:09 pm »

Yes, they're easy to kill but if you get caught in a combo and you're still low enough to be farming them you're probably dead or almost dead.

Get Covetous Silver Serpent Ring and Symbol of Avarice and you can maybe cut off 20 or 30 of those runs.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 127