Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148416 times)

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1215 on: May 21, 2013, 02:58:12 pm »

Protip: Figure out which one you hate to deal with most. Kill that one first.

Oddly for a lot of people it's easiest to kill Ornstein first. I don't get it - personally I find the hugemassive hammer to be harder to dodge than the spear.

Also, each one takes basically no damage from one element. For Ornstein, it's lightning - for Smough, apparently it's fire. Bring two weapons, or one that isn't either of these.

Smough is weak to bleed, AFAIK.

It's always possible to poison/toxic them to death, though difficult.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: May 21, 2013, 03:43:13 pm »

Protip: Figure out which one you hate to deal with most. Kill that one first.

Oddly for a lot of people it's easiest to kill Ornstein first. I don't get it - personally I find the hugemassive hammer to be harder to dodge than the spear.

Also, each one takes basically no damage from one element. For Ornstein, it's lightning - for Smough, apparently it's fire. Bring two weapons, or one that isn't either of these.

Smough is weak to bleed, AFAIK.

It's always possible to poison/toxic them to death, though difficult.

I don't think fire/lightning resistances apply much on first playthrough. I literally killed Smough with combustion (fire) and Ornstein with Demon Spear (lightning).

That said, poison/toxin strategy is WIN! Poisoned daggers and toxic mist. Green herbs and dodging all day long.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: May 21, 2013, 05:15:02 pm »

It's because Lightning!Smough is just a stronger version of himself, Giant!Ornstein has a different moveset and requires a different strategy than his smaller self.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: May 21, 2013, 05:56:34 pm »

I know you can get giant Ornstein to jump out of the window. XD
(closest video I could find)

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: May 21, 2013, 08:01:42 pm »

Well, nevermind. I beat em' with a couple of phantoms. On to whatever is next!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: May 21, 2013, 09:22:47 pm »

Well, nevermind. I beat em' with a couple of phantoms. On to whatever is next!
It's death. Death comes next. Always.
Really, though, the game opens up. (Though, technically, only 1 area and 1 boss open. The rest were already accessible before placing the lordvessel.)

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: May 21, 2013, 09:39:40 pm »

Okay, well, on another note: I just found a hell of a way to farm humanity, even if it was unintentional. Put on the Covetous Serpent Ring you find in Sen's Fortress and head into the depths. There'll be a hell of a lot of rats as well as a bonfire there. Go nuts.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: May 21, 2013, 10:44:53 pm »

Yup. Put down a summon sign to occasionally get a boost of souls, too. It's been discussed in this thread. Just a few pages back, IIRC.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: May 22, 2013, 11:41:45 am »

Other places to farm humanity

Better
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Best
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: May 22, 2013, 12:46:08 pm »

Both of those areas scare me, and aren't easy to get to. Farming rats is very safe. Those areas do net more humanity in the same time, all the same.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: May 22, 2013, 12:47:52 pm »

Both of those areas scare me, and aren't easy to get to.

It's death. Death comes next. Always.

I hear you :D

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: May 22, 2013, 01:24:16 pm »

On a different topic, is anyone reading this great at theorycrafting in this game? (or can you suggest a relevant forum?)

I discovered I love spears/polearms, and embarked on a quest to have ALL THE SPEARS AND POLEARMS. Here is what I found

Now what the hell? Why is the Chaos spear so pathetic? Chaos is supposed to be amazing, I don't understand... The +15 Scythe does more damage than anything else, and the Silver Knight Spear is the best spear I have found. What am I missing?

I'm currently working to get a +15 Partizan/Pike and a +5 lightning spear (Thank you, Sen's Fortress) but I don't have very high hopes for them.

So help me figure this out, why is the +15 Scythe so much better than a +10 Fire Lucerne, and why is the Silver Knight Spear better than all other spears? I thought elemental weapons were the thing...

---

As an aside, with the right collection of shields and a Demon Spear, invaders have no clue what to do. They keep trying to parry my spear at full range... yeah, that's not even possible you silly player.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 01:30:12 pm by CognitiveDissonance »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: May 22, 2013, 02:23:16 pm »

Elemental weapons do not have any scaling, which means they do the same amount of damage no matter what your stats are as long as you meet the requirements to use the weapon. This makes them excellent at low levels but they become inferior to normal +15 weapons if you invest stats into strength and dexterity.

Furthermore, elemental weapons suffer from split damage. In essence, the resistance of your enemy gets applied twice, once for each type of damage. So, for example, if a fire weapon does 200 AR of fire damage and 200 AR physical damage for a total of 400 AR while a normal weapon does 300 AR of pure physical damage and the enemy you are facing has enough fire and physical resistance to reduce each type of damage by 100 AR (This isn't quite how the armour system actually works, but it's close enough for this example) the weapons will end up doing the same damage because (200-100)+(200-100) = 200 and 300-100=200.
I've also heard that weapon damage increases non-linearly with AR, so a pure physical 400 AR weapon will do more than twice as much as a 200 AR weapon.

So, as a general guideline you should only use elemental weapons if you plan on keeping your stats low, otherwise use +15 physical weapons.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: May 22, 2013, 02:34:25 pm »

Elemental weapons do not have any scaling, which means they do the same amount of damage no matter what your stats are as long as you meet the requirements to use the weapon. This makes them excellent at low levels but they become inferior to normal +15 weapons if you invest stats into strength and dexterity.

Furthermore, elemental weapons suffer from split damage. In essence, the resistance of your enemy gets applied twice, once for each type of damage. So, for example, if a fire weapon does 200 AR of fire damage and 200 AR physical damage for a total of 400 AR while a normal weapon does 300 AR of pure physical damage and the enemy you are facing has enough fire and physical resistance to reduce each type of damage by 100 AR (This isn't quite how the armour system actually works, but it's close enough for this example) the weapons will end up doing the same damage because (200-100)+(200-100) = 200 and 300-100=200.
I've also heard that weapon damage increases non-linearly with AR, so a pure physical 400 AR weapon will do more than twice as much as a 200 AR weapon.

So, as a general guideline you should only use elemental weapons if you plan on keeping your stats low, otherwise use +15 physical weapons.

Yeah... but I didn't expect elemental weapons to suck  :-/

oh well, +15 partisan it is!

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: May 23, 2013, 02:29:34 am »

Also, BTW, there is no such thing as a weapon that cannot be parried.

Everything from a humanoid enemy can be "parried"(Exceptions are things like Ceaseless Discharge or O&S).

EVERYTHING. Even arrows can be partially parried.

A partial parry is using a parry to "block" something that can't normally be parried - instead of stunning, it just decreases damage from a hit  by ~70% or so. But also you lose vastly less stamina.

Demon Spear can be fully parried, and like most spears it's not too hard to do.

Parrying in PvP is all about baiting people to attack rather than actually timing it correctly, though. There's too much lag to reliably parry based on animations, most of the time.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 127