Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148380 times)

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1245 on: May 27, 2013, 01:02:33 am »

Well, my tanky guy seemed to fare much better in the Tomb of the Giants. In fact, he beat Nito on the first try. Didn't stand a chance against my +4 Lightning Zweihander, or my Smough's set, for that matter.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: May 27, 2013, 01:03:43 am »

Nito is an easy boss for big sword builds. I've not gotten any other builds that far, so I can't say there.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: May 28, 2013, 04:48:01 pm »

Does anyone ever use those soul items? I can only recall one instance where I used them, and that was for some quick cash to buy a Tower Shield.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: May 28, 2013, 05:10:26 pm »

Does anyone ever use those soul items? I can only recall one instance where I used them, and that was for some quick cash to buy a Tower Shield.

I do once in a while, when I want a specific upgrade for a weapon NOW. Especially useful to recover from a recent soul loss while adventuring. They are not very important, but when you need them they are excellent.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: May 28, 2013, 05:26:39 pm »

I use 'em for purchases and level-ups when I'm close and/or don't feel like farming. The bigger ones are worth more than any respawning enemy, so they're more useful.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: May 29, 2013, 09:14:13 am »

Yeah, I use them to tip me over the cost for something I need to buy, or just eat them all before I go on a big spending spree.  No point not using them, it's not like they're good for anything else.

That doesn't apply to the boss souls though. 
Shoes...

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: May 29, 2013, 09:23:39 pm »

Well, I just took out Gwyn on my first try without even trying to parry.

Also,

R.I.P
Sunbro
2012-2013
Praise the sun, buddy. Praise the sun.

:'(

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: May 29, 2013, 10:35:12 pm »

Well, I just took out Gwyn on my first try without even trying to parry.
I don't even. It took me over a dozen tries my first time, with parrying.

R.I.P
Sunbro
2012-2013
Spoiler: There is a way to save Solaire from death by ruining his quest. It's really no less sad.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: May 29, 2013, 11:05:51 pm »

R.I.P
Sunbro
2012-2013
Spoiler: There is a way to save Solaire from death by ruining his quest. It's really no less sad.

I know, but I didn't do it right. I delayed fighting Gwyn by quite a bit just trying to find a method of saving him that I could use. In the end, I died to a dragon butt and he disappeared from the Lost Izalith bonfire, presumably to get facehugged.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: May 31, 2013, 07:04:07 pm »

My Oswald made a triumphant return to the forest today, dropping all kinds of knowledge.  I finally died to your standard flippy flipping lightning katana dude, but until then I was busting people up.  Got 70,000 souls I think.

Still considering a Solaire build.  Also considering a Lifehunt Scythe build but I'm not sure what to do with it and I don't want to go with a 120 level guide and have it turn out to suck.
Shoes...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: May 31, 2013, 07:46:41 pm »

I've always preferred the normal scythe to the lifehunt. Inflicting bleeding on yourself is just too much to keep track of. For example, if you run into a real tank, you're probably going to weaken yourself pretty significantly while wearing him down.

Solaire build is cool though. Straight swords provide a lot to work with, and the lightning miracles are exceptionally useful.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: June 01, 2013, 01:28:39 pm »

Has anyone any tips on getting to the female undead merchant?  Ive just rang the 1st bell a little while ago and im around level 20.

Im struggling to get past the area where there is a load of dogs and assassins that jump out of the building, i can manage to get past the 1st set of dogs and assassins but get my ass handed to me every time i get to the next set of enemy with 3-5 dogs and same with assassins.

Im mostly just roaming atm unlocking all the shortcuts but the 2nd area with dogs/assassins is too damn tough, tried maybe 10x today and keep dying and dont know if controller can take many more flights.

I keep getting surrounded and overwhelmed as soon as the enemy get triggered and cant even run away due to getting hit, i die within 5 seconds and have no chance to even hit back or even have time to throw firebombs or etc etc.

Any help here would be great as its this sort of thing that made me give up on the game a year ago and my patience is wearing thin again.  Ive doubled my playtime and level in the last 2 days and this is the 1st time im struggling since, it seems more random luck to get past the thing than skill but after many attempts im at my limit.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: June 01, 2013, 02:04:20 pm »

You can deal with one dog at a time before the assassins in every case; do so.
First set of assassins: Get them after you, run behind the pillar. When you're there, they can't hit you with their throwing knives and have to go around the corner to get to you, helping prevent getting surrounded, but you can also make a break for it easily enough. If that's still not working, get in the corner behind the fire with a shield and spear. Super easy.
Second set of assassins: Get them after you and quickly get back, because you have to get way too close to bait them. You'll probably want to back around the corner and deal with one at a time, if possible. Going back into one of the first assassin's rooms is an option, if your weapon doesn't need a lot of room - guaranteed only one assassin at a time. Or you could go back to the pillar or fire.

Basically, the trick to the assassins is using the environment to fight one-on-one. It's still a pain in the ass and you'll probably die a lot.

Also, try poise. No poise = interrupted attacks.
Not getting hit at all is always preferable. Dodging is the way to always go.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: June 01, 2013, 02:04:23 pm »

Has anyone any tips on getting to the female undead merchant?  Ive just rang the 1st bell a little while ago and im around level 20.

Im struggling to get past the area where there is a load of dogs and assassins that jump out of the building, i can manage to get past the 1st set of dogs and assassins but get my ass handed to me every time i get to the next set of enemy with 3-5 dogs and same with assassins.

Im mostly just roaming atm unlocking all the shortcuts but the 2nd area with dogs/assassins is too damn tough, tried maybe 10x today and keep dying and dont know if controller can take many more flights.

I keep getting surrounded and overwhelmed as soon as the enemy get triggered and cant even run away due to getting hit, i die within 5 seconds and have no chance to even hit back or even have time to throw firebombs or etc etc.

Any help here would be great as its this sort of thing that made me give up on the game a year ago and my patience is wearing thin again.  Ive doubled my playtime and level in the last 2 days and this is the 1st time im struggling since, it seems more random luck to get past the thing than skill but after many attempts im at my limit.

Just lock onto one and back up until you get an opening to hit him without getting hit by the others. I'm not sure what advice to really give, because I never really had any trouble with that part. The Capra Demon, however...god have mercy on your soul.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: June 01, 2013, 03:28:57 pm »

Just lure them out, and fall back to the stairs so you can deal damage to multiples with each swing. You'll still take some damage, even with your shield up, but it's way better than being surrounded. Once you get past that corridor with all the ambushers, you shouldn't have too much more trouble getting to the Undead Female Merchant.

As for the Capra Demon, forget the stair dancing method. I found it was just way easier to roll under his double-handed swing. And I say that even as a fat roller. I found the fight pretty easy once his puppies were dead.

If you're a light armor/spellcasting type....good luck. Maybe invest in a polearm for this section. What made the Lower Burg easier for me is I was tough enough to take several hits and make mistakes.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 03:30:49 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 127