Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148261 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #405 on: August 28, 2012, 02:20:29 pm »

L2, with an appropriate shield or sidearm in the left hand.

Heh. I thought that was a shield bash or something so never used it :P

Thanks!

It is, with an appropriate shield.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 28, 2012, 02:45:46 pm »

Shield bash is for large shields and medium shields with obvious offensive capabilities.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 28, 2012, 02:55:11 pm »

Can't wait to get me some shield bash action. Kicking guys repeatedly is fun but I want some variety in my face stompage.

It's funny how, when you're confident in your riposte you can start toying with all the bad asses.

Also:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 03:01:47 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 28, 2012, 06:59:14 pm »

It may be late, but Capra Demon: It is a pain in the ass. One-on-one wouldn't be a problem, but the dogs make it a cheaty boss. So cheat back at it. Run in, swing wildly until you kill the dogs, dodging the demon as well as you can (shield + spear may also work), then go up the stairs. Walk along the ledge to the right of the stairs. The demon will often go below you, so jump and stab it. Repeat as necessary. An alternative strategy is using the stairs to take care of the dogs and fight the demon fairly, but the dogs will often prevent you from getting there because they have an invisible force field twice their size that you can't roll through.

The Drake Sword is definitely cheap. It's stupidly powerful and fast. It's not good at higher levels, but makes low-level bosses and players very easy to kill. At least things like the Zweihander take strategy, but the Drake Sword is like an immensely overpowered longsword. Overall, though, if you want to hurt your own growth by easily taking down bosses, that's your choice.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 28, 2012, 08:32:25 pm »

It's worth noting the 2-handed heavy strike will ruin the thing very quickly though. Couldn't figure out at first why a weapon with 360 durability was at 96 after only a couple minutes :P

And jesus I don't feel like I've ever unknowingly walked past this much stuff in a game. Walked right through the Undead Parish Church and on to the Garden without realizing there was a second floor. I thought the asshole up there shooting stuff at me was just there as an annoyance.

It's nice that in Dark Souls, everything that's there has a purpose. Every time I've written something off I come back later to find I just didn't pay enough attention. Like, for example, the Dragon's Tail. I felt there was something obvious about it when I first saw it. There's no way in hell I would have tried to shoot at it though.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 28, 2012, 08:39:04 pm »

Just did my first invasion with a cracked orb, and won!  It was some warrior with a sword and shield, and I had a winged spear/heater shield.

It was pretty close but I got her with a firebomb.
Shoes...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 28, 2012, 10:00:24 pm »

It's nice that in Dark Souls, everything that's there has a purpose. Every time I've written something off I come back later to find I just didn't pay enough attention. Like, for example, the Dragon's Tail. I felt there was something obvious about it when I first saw it. There's no way in hell I would have tried to shoot at it though.
Many things with tails can have them chopped off for weapons, most notably the gargoyle near the first bell. Most of these weapons, however, are rather average. Dragons provide the best ones, AFAIK.

I have yet to succeed in either role of invasion. I get invaded and killed, and the only place I've even tried to invade is
and I died miserably (several times).
Even though I know a couple of tricks, my build and playstyle are very unsuited for PvP.

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 29, 2012, 01:27:47 am »

Well. I've just beaten the game, and I've decided that my favorite weapon is the Obsidian Greatsword, which is a dragon tail sword. Took me about an hour to get the damn thing, but it was totally worth it.

To those who are having trouble with non-boss enemies like Black Knights, take my advice: learn to parry. You don't need to be amazingly good at it,

Oh, and also, make sure you access the Prepare to Die Edition content, if you have it. The items and spells from it are really, really good, like the aforementioned Obsidian Greatsword.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 02:24:14 am by Fanofgaming »
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 29, 2012, 02:38:59 am »

I know I am hooked on an rpg when I have barely scratched the surface and am already planning out my next character. Seeing as I am going a dex build this time, the next one will be a turtle tank. Biggest armour, biggest shield, biggest weapon and fattest bodytype. I also have this urge to try out a dominatrix character using light armour and whips but I have this nagging feeling that I have to wait with that one until I am far better at the game.

EDIT: Btw I am having some issues with deciding on armours, is it worth getting the chain set over the wanderer armour, it seems like the wanderer armour might actually be better atleast on the four defence stats?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:14:06 am by Aptus »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 29, 2012, 10:16:24 am »

Havent played in a long time but is the wanderer armor the set some of the classes start with? I use the chain set on my spearman, it's medium weight armor that provides some stability so not every single hit will interupt your attacks.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 29, 2012, 11:39:10 am »

Ya it is the starting armour for the wanderer.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 29, 2012, 01:37:21 pm »

Can you get through the game with a mainly bow based build? I want to try my hand at an archer, maybe with a spear as a side-arm.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 29, 2012, 01:41:11 pm »

I imagine it being reaaaallllyyy slow and tedious what with the average damage of early available ranged weapons.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 29, 2012, 02:31:08 pm »

Yes I agree, it would probably be a slow process. Start off melee until you can get hold of a better ranged weapon I'd say.
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 29, 2012, 05:13:30 pm »

Plus you have to carry all that ammo around...
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 127