Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148262 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #390 on: August 27, 2012, 10:26:01 pm »

If you start with the master key, you can go meet Havel. I dare you to kill him on the first meeting.
I did on my second run, never having killed him on my first (and first run not being a full run, but at least going past the point of Havel). Does that count?
Spoiler: Trick to beating him (click to show/hide)

Is he the knight with the gigantic "I'm gonna smoosh you" hammer?  I spent a heck of a long time to kill him early on my first play.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 27, 2012, 10:33:31 pm »

It isn't a hammer. It's the tooth of a dragon.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 28, 2012, 12:04:08 am »

Okay, at least two bosses down the line, I hit a wall in the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Should I be able to beat him right after

Seems almost impossible, but I guess with enough time or a certain strategy it might happen.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 28, 2012, 12:38:28 am »

Yes, that is, I believe, the intended path. It is a really terribly annoying boss. You make a mistake and you get stuck against a wall and you die. The size of the area is the worst part about it, if you can learn to work with the terrain, it gets a bit easier. Take the dogs first, they're the most dangerous part of this when everything is added up. Also try to get a summon, and don't forget there is a semi-shortcut back to the Firelink shrine you can open up to make the run back to it easier.

On the other hand, that boss is completely skippable. You'd a big chunk of game by skipping it, but none of that is necessarily mandatory.Skipping it is a lot easier with the master key, but even without it, it's possible, especially if you have decent(or very numerous) ranged attacks.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 28, 2012, 01:07:08 am »

I finally beat him. Took 4 ripostes in a row. Realizing I could cross the bridge to the bonfire and open the gate made it...much easier. What really screwed me up is the parries where you'd succeed, but then he would just attack again immediately. Once I got 4 "perfect" parries off, it wasn't that bad. Honestly the hardest part I think is coming up the stairs and getting positioned for his first attack. His little ground sweep is easy to parry, if you're lucky enough to have him do that 2 or 3 times in succession.

Too bad the reward did not even come close to being worth it.

His ring you get from killing him is the best in the game that and the one that breaks if you take it off.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 28, 2012, 03:47:21 am »

Hah! Managed to kill the first black knight (undeadburg) by clever use of game mechanics™..

Now I feel like I missed out on an oppurtunity to train on one of these guys so it will come back and bite me in the ass later on though. Well I had tried to kill him normally before as well but I can't get the timing of the parries down on him, he is so bloody fast.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 28, 2012, 04:27:44 am »

Okay, at least two bosses down the line, I hit a wall in the
Should I be able to beat him right after

Seems almost impossible, but I guess with enough time or a certain strategy it might happen.

Capra Demon is considered by some to be an easy boss but for me it was the hardest so far(I'm past Blighttown, I also explored a little and slew the Hydra). The super tiny arena with camera obscuring foliage make me die loads of time before I could even land a hit. The trick is to try and avoid the first attack and then kill the dogs fast.  After that just keep blocking and backing away from the demon to avoid its attacks. Stab it after it finishes one of its combos. If you need healing try and abuse the stairs. The demon will try follow you if you try to climb but will often get stuck in a attack animation and you can use the opportunity to drink estus.

On a unrelated note in Blightown I lost upwards of 20000 souls by falling twice in the same spot above the waterwheel where you fight club barbarians before the entrance to the Valley of Drakes. Sometimes even trivial opponents can be made difficult by their environment.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 28, 2012, 11:50:57 am »

Now I feel like I missed out on an oppurtunity to train on one of these guys so it will come back and bite me in the ass later on though. Well I had tried to kill him normally before as well but I can't get the timing of the parries down on him, he is so bloody fast.

Are you using a shield? I found he was easy-peasy once you'd kited him to an open area and could block his attacks and avoid the secondary swings. Then again I rolled Warrior with good Endurance. But I could take at least 2 hits on my shield if my stamina was full.

I thought about cheesing him from that roof top too but decided I wanted to take him down toe-to-toe for the experience. I'm glad I did, there's more enemies like him later on. (And if you think he is fast, the 2nd Black Knight will make you cry tears of anger and blood.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 28, 2012, 12:00:25 pm »

Are you using a shield?
Yeah, a shield and spear dex build.

(And if you think he is fast, the 2nd Black Knight will make you cry tears of anger and blood.)
Oh I have no doubt, I sometimes want to strangle this game by the teeth but I can't get enough of it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 28, 2012, 12:05:24 pm »

Try and see how much your shield block is worth against him. IIRC there was basically no attack I couldn't take on my shield as long as I was full. When he goes in for those 2/3 hit combos, that's where you have to block one or two then GTF out of the way for the last attack. I don't BELIEVE he has any attack that is unblockable.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 28, 2012, 01:04:22 pm »

I'm glad I finally figured out how to upvote writings.  I enthusiastically upvote anything good or clever, maybe just because it's so surprising to find sound advice and funny stuff.  You put a "Beware ambush" carving near an actual ambush spot?  Upvote.  You put "Try thrust" right behind that hollow bent over the side of the well?  Upvote.

I also beat the Taurus Demon on my Zweihander guy but fucked up his leveling and started over.  Now I'm a spear/shield wanderer.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 28, 2012, 01:10:18 pm »

Note that when you upvote someone's advice, they gain a humanity.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 28, 2012, 01:24:18 pm »

Why am I reading this topic when it makes me want the game so bad? I want information, but I want to play the game... but I can't because I have no money or any way to get any, for the time being. Blah. It just looks so good... :<
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 28, 2012, 02:00:00 pm »

How does one parry?

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 28, 2012, 02:18:57 pm »

L2, with an appropriate shield or sidearm in the left hand.

Heh. I thought that was a shield bash or something so never used it :P

Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 127