Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Via Galactica  (Read 20328 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Via Galactica
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 09:37:13 am »

damnit i got a error:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

wonder because its in my x64 folder not my x86?

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 10:05:09 am »

I've tried it, but several of my games ended when a random "cosmic discontinuity" diverted me from my course and i guess the new destination was too far because I never had enough fuel to get there, and so it was game over.

So i never had the chance to try combat or to buy equipment or new ships, and this was on an "easy" setting.

I don't really like games where you can just randomly lose without being able to do anything about it.

Pussy.  :D

You obviously got unlucky. I've never had that! and the randomness is as fair as it is harsh.  Gives the universe a good tandomness replayability.

Unfortunately, even if it's random, it still sucks. I don't want to invest a few hours into it and lose it all because of a random 'you lose' event. Losing can be a lot of fun... but not if the game just decides I need to lose for no apparent reason.

To be fair, there are scarcely any times where you would have a situation there is absolutely no way of getting out of. As those that aren't escapable, welcome to DF forums :D

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 10:09:45 am »

I've had some fun with it but there is a moment where you a hit a plateau. Your return per trip declines too much when you get more money. That's fine but it takes too long until you can afford a bigger ship, for my taste that is. There are just not enough expensive goods and as a result you're forced to squirrel a lot of money into the banks until you get enough money to have a large cargo hold.

I do think the game has a lot of potential but it's not there yet.

For the record: I haven't had any 'lol you lose' events yet.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 10:21:03 am »

NOTE TO SELF:
If you ever want to try and smuggle illegal goods, make sure you have a ship large enough to take on the police, or the money to bribe them.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 11:30:28 am »

I just played a bit more and i found that if you want to survive, you have to save as often as possible, because it's the best way to avoid all the bad things that the game throws at you. However, it's still not very fun, the profitable routes work only for a couple of trips before you saturate the market, buying a larger ship means you lose range, so you buy more fuel tanks to compensate and lose most of the extra space you just spent all your money for (AND you use more fuel per trip! yay). I wanted to buy a laser, but it takes so much space (10 cargo holds out of my 15) that it wasnt a viable option at this point either.

Other than that, I really wonder what the space police is doing, except nagging you all the time in case you had illegal goods, because at least 2/3 of the systems are full of pirates. And when its not the pirates, you get robbed at point blank when you enter the system, or there are electrical storms damaging you ship, or a cosmic discontinuity...

So... yea, the difficulty needs to be toned down, but i'm afraid that theres not much content or diversity beyond that anyways.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 11:33:44 am by Sirian »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 11:59:34 am »

I've found the police to be annoying even when you're legit. Almost every single time, they search you, even when you've submitted to searches every single time before.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 12:22:47 pm »

I've found the police to be annoying even when you're legit. Almost every single time, they search you, even when you've submitted to searches every single time before.

The pilot must be black.

tNok85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 03:14:41 pm »

I've tried it, but several of my games ended when a random "cosmic discontinuity" diverted me from my course and i guess the new destination was too far because I never had enough fuel to get there, and so it was game over.

So i never had the chance to try combat or to buy equipment or new ships, and this was on an "easy" setting.

I don't really like games where you can just randomly lose without being able to do anything about it.

Pussy.  :D

You obviously got unlucky. I've never had that! and the randomness is as fair as it is harsh.  Gives the universe a good tandomness replayability.

Unfortunately, even if it's random, it still sucks. I don't want to invest a few hours into it and lose it all because of a random 'you lose' event. Losing can be a lot of fun... but not if the game just decides I need to lose for no apparent reason.

To be fair, there are scarcely any times where you would have a situation there is absolutely no way of getting out of. As those that aren't escapable, welcome to DF forums :D

I'm well aware of fun... :) But it's different when you accidentally unleash a horde of clowns on your base, which triggers a tantrum spiral, and your population murders each other.... and you get to watch it all and salvage what you can (if you can). I wouldn't like to be mining in DF and suddenly hit something that made my screen go LOL YOU LOSE.

I'll still give this game a fair chance. :D

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 03:27:50 pm »

I wouldn't like to be mining in DF and suddenly hit something that made my screen go LOL YOU LOSE.

Say hello to 2D Dwarf Fortress. :p

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 07:51:56 pm »

·     damage done in an attack by you on another ship (least)
·     damage done to you in an attack by another ship (most)
Fake difficulty... :'(

Also, I get blown to bits by pirates ALL the time.  Too many pirates.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 07:52:48 pm »

guys can you help me? i can't play the game, check the error i posted up.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 03:46:28 am »

damnit i got a error:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

wonder because its in my x64 folder not my x86?

I'm getting the same thing, win7 64bit. I wouldn't be surprised if 64 is just unsupoorted.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 04:10:00 am »

meh, too random, lost half my money to people stealing from me 2 turns in and was highly saddened.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 09:07:30 am »

that would explain it then, even using compatibility mode doesn't do anything XC

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 11:24:45 am »

It works on my Vista 64-bit.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8