Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Via Galactica  (Read 20307 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Via Galactica
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 11:25:25 am »

ok then its runtime issues but i don't know which one and i already updated my visual runtimes.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 02:04:10 pm »

Boring. Extremely limited and extremely random; the graphics don't do it justice, and I've spent more time playing a version I had on my calculator that was a bit more fun. Takes ridiculous amounts of money to get anything good, and by the time you do (if you haven't been blasted into oblivion by thirty pirate encounters between a short system jump) then it all becomes too easy.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

orangetree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Via Galactica
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 04:36:22 pm »

Hallo all. I am the author of the game in question and was sent a link to these really helpful comments by one of your number (thanks!)

I've never had such useful feedback as this. In response I am making a few changes to try and remove some of the arbitrary loss, which I hadn't realised were causing people such grief!

For example, I'll make sure that cosmic discontinuities never leave the ship stranded in space, which I agree is a bit unfair...and I'm happy to shrink the size or cost of some key bits of equipment if people feel that would give the game a bit more momentum early on. I agree there is a bit of a 'plateau' effect. If anyone would like to make suggestions on that then let me know...

On robbery by pirates and storms - you can insure yourself against this very cheaply in the Finance dialog box. This dramatically reduces the loss - but I accept it doesn't entirely remove it.

There's an email update list you can subscribe to if you want to learn about updates as soon as they're issued - drop a line to orangetreesubscribe@yahoo.com to get added.

On the bugs being experienced, I think this is due to the Windows 7 Program Files protection protocols, which are causing lots of issues for developers. I'm on the case though.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Let me know if there are any other annoying bits you want fixed!

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 11:53:14 am by orangetree »

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 05:23:17 pm »

Nice to see the dev responding to comments!

For what it's worth: I run the game on windows 7 64 bit fine.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 05:51:04 pm »

Wow, didn't realize you didn't realize that pirates are THE MOST ANNOYING THINGS IN THE GALAXY! :D

It's a fun game. Full of potential. But A) there should be scaling difficulty (The bigger ships you get, the more products/ bigger products to buy) B) Why, oh why, must the pirates get such high damage rolls against my puny defenseless ship? If you flee, you die, if you surrender, you go bankrupt.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot the good parts. I love the random galaxies and the actual economic system. Keep on improving this game and making it an amazing space-trading sim.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 06:35:25 pm »

Nice to see the dev responding to comments!

For what it's worth: I run the game on windows 7 64 bit fine.
then i am so frigging confused, its a runtime error but i don't know which.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2011, 12:36:43 pm »

there should be scaling difficulty

I think you hit the nail here : if the difficulty scaled, you could start relatively safely, and as you would get a better ship/crew/equipment, you would have to face more challenges so that it doesnt become too easy.

tNok85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2011, 12:39:34 pm »

One thing I've seen that's not so bad is difficulty scaling based on wealth. (Material wealth and actual 'cash' wealth).

The richer you are, the more dangerous it is. Holds true in a game because the richer you are, the higher profile you are, and the more likely pirates and mercs will pick you as a juicy target. :)

orangetree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Via Galactica
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2011, 03:32:29 pm »

Whatever level the game is played at, I have tried to design it so that games do get more difficult over time - and, to a lesser extent, with wealth. Pirates get more aggressive, systems get further apart (there's a built in "big bang" effect), prices and bribes get higher (inflation effects) and systems get attacked/destroyed, making routing more difficult. The trick for the player is to accumulate wealth fast enough to outrun these effects - for example by installing shields and equipment. That said, comments on this forum indicate that players feel that it's not easy enough right at the beginning and it's too difficult to get started? Or, more expert players might feel there's a plateau effect when they have in fact managed to outrun the latest set of problems (in which case I recommend a "Moderate" game in order to up the stakes!)

Incidentally, if you're running Windows 7 I have had a report from one user who took the step of installing the game somewhere other than the C:/Program Files folder. He reports this has resolved all of the problems he'd had with the game crashing in non-administrator modes. If nothing else works, you might like to try that (let me know if it works!)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2011, 04:39:00 pm »

I like the difficulty, however, it seems that pirates are much too powerful in the beginning game. There is nothing more irritating than seeing the only profitable route is through pirate infested space, and having the first pirate ship you encounter completely destroy you. It seems to happen all too often.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2011, 05:14:30 pm »

Level 8 Pilot is required.  Even then, it won't save you if you spawn and find yourself surrounded by pirate infested routes/planets... 

This game actually looks good otherwise, I'd go the way of Firefly and buy smuggling compartments or some such if I could.  Or the way of Bebop and do some bounty hunting... With my rag-tag crew living day-to-day.

Suggestion: Smaller ships = Less pirate encounters
Reasoning: Less noticeable and avoiding pirates should be a basic thing in a pirate infested galaxy.  Seriously, it is infested.  Not like a tiny or small ship is likely to pack the guns to fight off anymultiple pirates...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

orangetree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Via Galactica
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2011, 06:19:11 pm »

inteuniso, I am surprised you are having so many problems with pirates early in the game. It is normally possible to fly through fairly large amounts of pirates without getting destroyed. Your hull should repair itself faster than it gets damaged. Are you sure you're running an "Easy" game? However, I am looking at whether I can knock a few skill points off pirate ships early in the game to make it a bit easier.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2011, 07:19:00 pm »

ok orangetree, i did what one of users did and moved the installation folder to somewhere else. still didn't work. can i inquire on what dependencies do you use to build and run the game?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2011, 08:57:28 pm »

I played a bit, but didn't find the game difficult at all, on the moderate difficulty. I found an early route where I could jump back and forth buying and selling books and plants at a good profit, managing to upgrade my ship a few times in the process. A bit of traveling with minimal profits along the way found another good route smuggling narcotics in an area with very little police presence and the systems were very close together. I bribed the few police that I encountered (which was only like 1 every 5 or so round trips) and managed a few more upgrades. I eventually got a reuseable cloaking device and max training in technician, which allowed me to go pretty much anywhere I wanted and smuggle whatever. I soon got the biggest ship and made huge amounts of money and started playing with the different equipment, killing pirate ships and such. The actual hunting of pirates isn't very profitable at all though, I make hundreds of thousands on simple trade runs while the pirates give a few thousand. The cloaking device soon became useless, as even with maxed technician and an engineer's toolbox everything detects me.

I got the discontinuity thing a few times, but never lost due to it because I was keeping hyperspace devices with me and when it happened I just used one to jump to a system. They're also great for escaping if you're about to die to pirates. The advanced ones let you go anywhere you want, while the basic ones are super cheap and are just good for a life preserver should disaster strike.

At this point I kinda got bored of it though. I used advanced hyperspace devices to jump around to all the training places and got all my skills maxed, killed some space monsters, hunted down a bunch of pirates. I have licenses to haul all the illegal cargo and advanced hyperspace devices to go anywhere for maximum profit (with the ability to make like 1 mil per round trip if I look for the best spots). I'm not sure what all else there is to do. I'm on day 863 with the biggest ship, a variety of toys (weapons, shields, engines, etc), 10 mil, and 14 in all skills. I could get massive amounts of money in a very short order by hyperspace jumping between places with radically different prices of the expensive goods like luxuries, but don't really see a point in it.

One thing that I think would make the game better is to separate the equipment space and the cargo space, either that or make some of the equipment a lot smaller. Having weapons and shields on the ship makes trading routes that would otherwise be extremely profitable practically useless because you lose too much cargo space, so the only way to make a good profit trading once you're advanced a bit is to strip the ship down and warp back and forth with nothing onboard but advanced hyperspace devices and enough fuel to move far enough to encounter a ship (you can't use the hyperspace device unless you encounter something).

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 08:59:55 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2011, 09:02:30 pm »

It would be nice to have a retiriment option and way to invest money with that in mind. Like buying yourself a frigging planet. Heh, maybe some other megalomanic investment projects, like building your own stargate and getting tariffs from it.

Oh and equipment taking cargo space is pretty dull - not to mention crew members sometimes taking like 5 spaces, which is loads with the starter ship. Maybe hulls should have more distinct qualities with separated cabin, cargo and equipment space.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:04:14 pm by Majestic7 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8