Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23

Author Topic: The Alpha Centauri (SMAC/SMAX) thread  (Read 47188 times)

generalpie

• Bay Watcher
  • Um, Well, You know...
    • View Profile
Re: The Alpha Centauri (SMAC/SMAX) thread
« Reply #225 on: June 03, 2013, 11:51:52 am »

Why don't you play a PBDropbox game against each other to find out which one of you is really better with your respective factions, eh?
Whose up for this...

I haven't actually tried all the factions yet, but so far my favourite's been Gaia's Stepdaughters. Mind worms kick ass! :D Personality-wise, my favourite faction leader is Roze.
Datatechs all day!
Wise Words ; Pride is Good. Until it is bad. Then it is bad.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 03, 2013, 12:07:46 pm »

meh, i would be up fora tcp/ip game but PBEM takes so long.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 03, 2013, 03:38:43 pm »

I've kind of started disliking Zakharov recently and I think I just figured out why. The way I see him, he's kind of lacking in the kind of integrity all the other faction leaders have. He seems to be all about founding a society on science, but at the same time, he's not really making a serious effort to educate his own drones. Lal's followers have way higher average education. It's like Zakharov doesn't really care about knowledge as a social cause, and is just pursuing knowledge for his own ends. Well, that's not really fair. Let's call it knowledge for its own sake. Which is cool and all, but kind of makes me feel that perhaps he shouldn't be the one ruling all of Planet. :P

Like, basically everyone but Zakharov and Morgan (ignoring Alien Crossfire) is committed to preventing a repeat of Earth in their own way. Those two just want to play around on a new planet with no governmental oversight. And Morgan gets a free pass since he's kind of supposed to be unscrupulous.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 03, 2013, 03:40:53 pm »

Well, the pregame text (The backstory, can find it somewhere on a forum) makes it pretty clear he really, really doesn't want to die.

Zakharov pursues knowledge for his own good, and for the good of knowledge itself.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #229 on: June 03, 2013, 05:03:08 pm »

Why don't you play a PBDropbox game against each other to find out which one of you is really better with your respective factions, eh?
What's a dropbox game?

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 03, 2013, 05:56:16 pm »

PBEM except instead of using email you exchange turn files through a shared dropbox folder...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #231 on: June 03, 2013, 06:21:09 pm »

PBEM except instead of using email you exchange turn files through a shared dropbox folder...
Oh right, makes much more sense. Although I was hoping for a turn based game transmitted by USB sticks attached to airdropped boxes.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 03, 2013, 06:28:26 pm »

the AI never breaks vassalage oaths

It does in a few cases, like when you start dropping planet busters on people.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

generalpie

• Bay Watcher
  • Um, Well, You know...
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 03, 2013, 06:31:43 pm »

I've kind of started disliking Zakharov recently and I think I just figured out why. The way I see him, he's kind of lacking in the kind of integrity all the other faction leaders have. He seems to be all about founding a society on science, but at the same time, he's not really making a serious effort to educate his own drones. Lal's followers have way higher average education. It's like Zakharov doesn't really care about knowledge as a social cause, and is just pursuing knowledge for his own ends. Well, that's not really fair. Let's call it knowledge for its own sake. Which is cool and all, but kind of makes me feel that perhaps he shouldn't be the one ruling all of Planet. :P

Like, basically everyone but Zakharov and Morgan (ignoring Alien Crossfire) is committed to preventing a repeat of Earth in their own way. Those two just want to play around on a new planet with no governmental oversight. And Morgan gets a free pass since he's kind of supposed to be unscrupulous.
Well if your basing Zakharov's personality off of the quotes, I agree, but you have to remember, he was basically slowly becoming insane towards the end, and he didn't really believe the drones mattered, more-so the pursuit of pure discovery.(Canon of course)
Oh right, makes much more sense. Although I was hoping for a turn based game transmitted by USB sticks attached to airdropped boxes.
Of course not silly..What are we? Soviet Spies installed in the United States years ago during 1972 and preparing for the rise of the second Soviet Union? Haha....ha...........ha.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 04, 2013, 02:33:31 am »

Well if your basing Zakharov's personality off of the quotes, I agree, but you have to remember, he was basically slowly becoming insane towards the end, and he didn't really believe the drones mattered, more-so the pursuit of pure discovery.(Canon of course)

I didn't get insane, really. He kind of flips out after the Lab Three Incident, but calms down in time to provide the quote for Voice of Planet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #235 on: June 04, 2013, 05:46:04 am »

Of course not silly..What are we? Soviet Spies installed in the United States years ago during 1972 and preparing for the rise of the second Soviet Union? Haha....ha...........ha.
...We Sheng-Ji Yang naow.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 04, 2013, 03:44:08 pm »

im not paying for that shipping overhead.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

generalpie

• Bay Watcher
  • Um, Well, You know...
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 04, 2013, 04:02:46 pm »

I want to see an alternate Earth where the entire internet is pigeons now...

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 04, 2013, 04:43:15 pm »

I should play this more.

What was the explanation for the new human factions anyway? I don't have Alien Crossfire.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23