Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: The Alpha Centauri (SMAC/SMAX) thread  (Read 47143 times)

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Alpha Centauri (SMAC/SMAX) thread
« on: January 30, 2011, 08:35:59 am »

Greetings, I just saw there's no thread about this gem and thus decided to create a new one.

I'd like to inquire whether anyone still plays it and if there are any fan sites that are still active.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
Re: The Alpha Centauri (SMAC/SMAX) thread
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 08:39:28 am »

The first living thing to go through the device was a small white rat.

I still have him, in fact.

As you can see, the damage is not so great as they say.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 09:42:32 am »

I play it. Never played the expansion though. Also, the University is overpowered...

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 09:49:11 am »

Man, I loved this game. Wasn't fond of the expansion, though.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 10:15:13 am »

The expansion is O.K. It kind of depends on how you play, I guess. Some people like it, some don't. I sorta did, but it does get old after a while(the expansion, that is)

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 11:13:54 am »

To me it just added new factions, but still, the max factions per game was too small to really enjoy them.

I really don't know the difference well because I played SMAX after quite a while since playing SMAC and didn't noticed anything too different, just the additions.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 11:46:10 am »

SMAX was harder because of the damn warring aliens and the pirates fricking populate everywhere, but i liked it more than SMAC because it created more challenge to the game, plus once i had the anti-matter nukes i was good to go :P , play the games, its worth it.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 12:23:44 pm »

Yes, there are some balance issues and some factions are powerful only under certain circumstances, but boy I love that. I always hope, playing as gaians, not to spawn near spartans, because things go shitty really fast with that b**ch, like totally happened in my last game. I was on Exploration and she was on Conquest, and i, with my feeble scouts and a few mind worms, didn't really pose a threat to her. She blackmailed me frequently, at the first war I managed even to take one of her cities and it ended, but it's only because it was merely a new colony. That triggered her to a truce, but everything went downhill.

So the point is, it depends what kind of faction you are and where you spawn, and a lot.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 12:57:04 pm »

Best. Game. Ever.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 12:57:45 pm »

i was the workers.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 12:58:47 pm »

Oh, I've just watched Let's Get On With It (LGWI) by Grimmith on youtube. He plays on Transcend difficulty.

Yeah, I love this game. It has so much in it which for some reason was not ported into Civ IV. It has awesome terraforming, landscape (even the west/east side of the cliff had a difference because of the wind), elevation which both affected combat and yields as well as other aspects...

It was quite complex yet easy to understand, and all the elements blend together quite nicely (in original; SMAX went a bit overboard with aliens and tons of new factions which did not make a perfect sense as much as original did).

Anyway, I am going to play it now I think :). For a moment, short on time here, but still.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 01:01:49 pm »

I need to do an LP of this. My Dominions 3 saves got corrupted or something so I may just do so this week :D

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 01:26:37 pm »

Oh, I've just watched Let's Get On With It (LGWI) by Grimmith on youtube. He plays on Transcend difficulty.

Yeah, I love this game. It has so much in it which for some reason was not ported into Civ IV. It has awesome terraforming, landscape (even the west/east side of the cliff had a difference because of the wind), elevation which both affected combat and yields as well as other aspects...

It was quite complex yet easy to understand, and all the elements blend together quite nicely (in original; SMAX went a bit overboard with aliens and tons of new factions which did not make a perfect sense as much as original did).

Anyway, I am going to play it now I think :). For a moment, short on time here, but still.

I also felt that the aliens are out of place. The planet itself felt kinda mystical, but the aliens too typical. I liket the chapter in which the first encounter with aliens is provided. Not too straightforward. Yet. Out of place, agreed.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 01:26:59 pm »

Awesome game...the unit design factory was an aspect I'd like to see more of in 4X type games.

KG

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 02:17:55 pm »

It is one of the best game i ever played.
One of the few 4X in which the setup in the diplomacy exchanges was giving the player the illusion that the AI factions actually had a personnality.
The background was very well built with the various researches logs and contributed really to the atmosphere.

It's been years i have not played it, free time always being an issue, but just talking about it made me want to get it another run and try to unify Planet :)
Always remember the 1st time i ever launched a Planet Buster. Was surprised how much powerfull those things can be in comparison to those very localized and just "waste to clean" the ICBM were making in Civ2
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 02:20:07 pm by Robsoie »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23