Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23

Author Topic: The Alpha Centauri (SMAC/SMAX) thread  (Read 47192 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The Alpha Centauri (SMAC/SMAX) thread
« Reply #210 on: June 02, 2013, 04:59:38 pm »

Is there any faction you lot almost solely play? For me it's the fundamentalists. Sister Miriam is probably one of the more ethical and funny lot right next to Lady Deidre, and by the time you start roaming around you're usually so far behind everyone else that to win you have to get crafty.
And by that, I mean drop planet crackers on Zhakarov, that smug bastard.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 02, 2013, 05:21:18 pm »

Miriam is a great vasal if you have a faction with decent research.
Just give her the tech and watch the fanatics blow your enemies a new one. Hell when attacking with good tech units she can be just as lethal as Santiago.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

generalpie

• Bay Watcher
  • Um, Well, You know...
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 02, 2013, 08:16:37 pm »

Miriam is a great vasal if you have a faction with decent research.
Just give her the tech and watch the fanatics blow your enemies a new one. Hell when attacking with good tech units she can be just as lethal as Santiago.
Or, you can be me and slaughter her straight out of the get-go because shes annoying as hell.
I mean drop planet crackers on Zhakarov, that smug bastard.
YOU SCIENCE HATER!
Wise Words ; Pride is Good. Until it is bad. Then it is bad.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #213 on: June 02, 2013, 09:32:11 pm »

YOU SCIENCE HATER!
What? Every time Zhakarov is all: 'Gib credits or death because research.' That doesn't sound like science. And unless you're Morgan, you're not allowed a monopoly on science and research.
You think you're all smart, high and mighty with your science unrestrained by ethics, but I tell you now, what're all your sentient colonies going to do when my +8 support cities flood your defenses with inferior weapons that attack with the force of +25% fundamentalist bonus?
Oh yeah, that's right. All your science are belong to us. And all your cities have been renamed 'Miriam was here.'

generalpie

• Bay Watcher
  • Um, Well, You know...
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 02, 2013, 10:02:46 pm »

^
But what will you do when I decide its time to take advantage of the massive research capabilities, those free network nodes come in handy, and I may not have a monopoly on it, but so long as I play my cards right, I can start to treat my research like money, all I need is my cities to be in the right place, once all of it is in place, I can establish agreements with my neighbors, un-do what little damage you could ever inflict before I mobilize, watch as my allies march onto your land with their new shiny units that I proudly supplied them with, while you retreat your your enclave with your low-tech weapons, and as for your population, assuming the Chairmen isn't present, then they might do some damage, not enough to stop me, and in the end, when your cities are burning, your people are dying, I'll find you, hunt you down, stuff you into the punishment sphere, as commit to some...Research
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...For the good of all of us of course.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 10:04:28 pm by generalpie »
Wise Words ; Pride is Good. Until it is bad. Then it is bad.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #215 on: June 02, 2013, 10:40:01 pm »

You treat research as if it were money, forgetting that money is money. The believers have the wonderful ability to expand and colonize very quickly... Therefore, much more money is to be had.
And when it all comes down to the final race to transcend, all of your research bonuses mean nothing when with money I can complete all projects in a turn. When the mindworms come for your ecologically wrecked cities, take comfort in at least knowing the Believers will survive.

A lot of assumptions there my tech-obsessed friend.

What believers need to win:
1. Colonists.

Missiles and foil transports are all it takes to turn your cities into our cities. It's a wonderful process really. When we capture you there will be no inhumane hunting or punishment spheres. Only poetic justice, staring down the barrel of an anti-matter cannon [how's that for low-tech?!].
In a direct combat situation there is just no way Zhakarov can win without resorting to hiding behind allies. At a tech disparity, the believers will win with higher manufacturing capabilities due to many of their soldiers costing no upkeep at all. At a tech equality, the believers will win with superior offensive capability [so sitting back and allowing damage to be done cannot be undone]. At a tech inferiority... Believers have already won.
BELIEVE 2210 BELIEVE 2210 BELIEVE 2210

Got this a few days back.

It's Rather fun. Became most powerful faction, spartans declare war. Cue curbstomp battle.
Spartans curbstomp you or other way around? :P

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 03, 2013, 02:01:12 am »

Believers will ALWAYS beat Santiago on offense if they can nullify the morale gap.

All of you forget one little problem. Deidra. All your fancy hovertanks count for nothing when the mindworms come swarming in, nullifing your fancy schmancy armor with their brains.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 03, 2013, 05:48:53 am »

Yes, Deirdre crushes all, Miriam thinks she can out-populate Deirdre? And then free mindworm swarms to wreak havoc on the Gullible.

How can anyone be scared of Miriams swarms of 2-1-2 Rovers while everyone else has Needlejets

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #218 on: June 03, 2013, 05:57:03 am »

Yes, Deirdre crushes all, Miriam thinks she can out-populate Deirdre? And then free mindworm swarms to wreak havoc on the Gullible.

How can anyone be scared of Miriams swarms of 2-1-2 Rovers while everyone else has Needlejets
Deirdre does indeed seem to be able to defeat just about every faction 1 vs 1. And unless tech stealing happens, you're looking at swarms of fusion vs chaos interceptors. It's a good set up as long as you have someone nearby to invade.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 03, 2013, 09:11:23 am »

I've only played single player, but I have rarely seen miriam survive for long, its almost almost chang or deidre that remains late game. I always play zhakarov without allies. because fuck the diplomacy in the game.

You make me want to start a 1vs1 game against miriam

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 03, 2013, 09:16:52 am »

I've only played single player, but I have rarely seen miriam survive for long, its almost almost chang or deidre that remains late game. I always play zhakarov without allies. because fuck the diplomacy in the game.

You make me want to start a 1vs1 game against miriam

If you like playing Zakharov then by all means try beating miriam up to the point she becomes your vassal.
Then just give her all your tech (she won't betray you because the AI never breaks vassalage oaths) and watch everything she looks at burn.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 03, 2013, 09:25:02 am »

Why don't you play a PBDropbox game against each other to find out which one of you is really better with your respective factions, eh?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 03, 2013, 09:32:42 am »

If you like playing Zakharov then by all means try beating miriam up to the point she becomes your vassal.
Then just give her all your tech (she won't betray you because the AI never breaks vassalage oaths) and watch everything she looks at burn.
Usually I set up a long game, largest world and full player rooster. As soon as I´ve cut me out a niche of the world and established tech superiority i start grabbing all the major projects while terraforming the world for fun. By then the rest of the factions can't do shit and my only opponent is pollution and mindworm breakouts.

Why don't you play a PBDropbox game against each other to find out which one of you is really better with your respective factions, eh?
I don't think I'm a good player but i beat the AI atleast. I also dont enjoy the combat but theres something with the setting that makes me like this game while i find the civ games boring. and im a sucker for terraforming

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 03, 2013, 10:52:26 am »

I haven't actually tried all the factions yet, but so far my favourite's been Gaia's Stepdaughters. Mind worms kick ass! :D Personality-wise, my favourite faction leader is Roze.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 03, 2013, 11:08:59 am »

Worms seriously drop in usability after fusion reactors, though.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23