Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364941 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #4785 on: January 22, 2014, 07:49:16 pm »

I consider all instances of dictatorships in this world to be news worthy. Especially when there is an ongoing civil war due to their treatment of citizenry. I never avoided that question. I'm curious why the Syrian civil war is specifically non-important.

O... k... this still has nothing to do with his question or my follow up, but it is a thing that I understand and that you have made clear.

It is now crystal clear that Assad has crossed the moral event horizon and severed any connection to basic human decency, and we can no longer ignore that.
That there remained anyone on the forum for whom Assad has not crossed the moral event horizon is what it is news to me. I thought we all agreed on this several atrocities ago, is the thing.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: January 22, 2014, 07:54:29 pm »

There's people arguing he should stay in power...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 06:37:33 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: January 22, 2014, 08:06:56 pm »

Depends whom you hear talk about it. A big part of the population, especially religious minorities like Alevites and Christians still support him. Since the opposition, or at least part of them, doesn't behave much better than Assad, it is pretty difficult to tell who should be supported.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: January 22, 2014, 08:12:17 pm »

The "opposition" is far from a monolithic entity, though.

I imagine its newsworthy for those who still (for some reason) support Assad staying in power, (if they care, which I imagine they don't). I just don't see this particular issue swaying anyone who was on one side or the other, and there seems to be rather few left on the fence (and also, I clearly wasn't following this thread closely enough, because I didn't know people here were actually advocating Assad should be in power so much as questioning whether we can or should do anything about it, which is a quite different question)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: January 22, 2014, 08:19:47 pm »

Oh yeah, in case that wasn't clear, I'm aware there are plenty of different opposition groups. I don't think anyone here is defending Assad. I personally am sceptic about intervention for a variety of reasons, but it's clear that Assad has crossed the moral event horizon a long time ago.

Most of what I know about people supporting Assad comes from reports and interviews with refugees, who support whoever they think is better for their own ethnic and/or religious group.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now with Ukraine!
« Reply #4790 on: January 23, 2014, 03:39:59 am »

So apparently we're on the eve of major problems in the Ukraine. The popular opinion is in favor of EU representation; the government cracked down on protest against closer ties to Russia instead.

When this all started, I entertained the hope that there would be some substantial change for the better.I originally believed that civilization is a steady climb where increasing material comfort gradually increases education, which in turn increases participation in governance, which in turn increases personal freedoms, which finally closes the cycle by increasing the economic output of a nation, all this aided by sudden clashes in which the advancing lower classes overthrow the previous power structure and establish an incrementally superior one.

I still dearly wish to believe that, and perhaps it's true to some extent, but it seems more like civilization is chaos. Essentially random changes occur. Very, very rarely, a powerful group establishes an ideology which stands the test of time. More rarely still, it is a humane one. The western revolutions of the 1700-1800s were privileged only in that the random actors that established them shared some positive beliefs.

Bah. It's too late at night. Things will look better in the morning. Obviously SOMETHING favors humane governments; there is an undeniable trend... when you consider all of history. The endless bloodshed we see today is just a rounding error in history. Perhaps that's the optimistic side of things.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: January 23, 2014, 03:47:46 am »

The Ukraine situation's already heavily featured in the European Megathread. I wouldn't split the discussion like this.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: January 23, 2014, 06:19:41 am »

Yeah, keep the discussion there please.

On a side note, the situation in Ukraine has long passed the point where this is about the EU.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: January 23, 2014, 06:39:07 am »

German media reported the EU is thinking about sanctions - let's vote: Who thinks they'll accomplish something?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: January 23, 2014, 06:55:43 am »

I originally believed that civilization is a steady climb where increasing material comfort gradually increases education, which in turn increases participation in governance, which in turn increases personal freedoms, which finally closes the cycle by increasing the economic output of a nation, all this aided by sudden clashes in which the advancing lower classes overthrow the previous power structure and establish an incrementally superior one.
Civilization is three steps forward, two steps back. Rinse and repeat.
We're currently taking the second step backward I believe.

German media reported the EU is thinking about sanctions - let's vote: Who thinks they'll accomplish something?
Not me. Sterns words at best but that doesn't count as actually doing something.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: January 23, 2014, 10:10:55 am »

When this all started, I entertained the hope that there would be some substantial change for the better.I originally believed that civilization is a steady climb where increasing material comfort gradually increases education, which in turn increases participation in governance, which in turn increases personal freedoms, which finally closes the cycle by increasing the economic output of a nation, all this aided by sudden clashes in which the advancing lower classes overthrow the previous power structure and establish an incrementally superior one.
Comfort increasing education?  Uhh... yea...
And... that is really not how capitalism works.  (I don't know what economic system Ukraine uses.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!
« Reply #4796 on: January 23, 2014, 05:49:15 pm »

I think he meant wealth. As people and countries get richer, they can afford to fund better education systems.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: January 24, 2014, 02:05:45 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: January 24, 2014, 06:40:40 am »

That should go in the happy thread.
The Bay12 postcard club

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: January 24, 2014, 06:43:33 am »

Wups, wrong thread. Was aiming for the European thread :P
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 416