Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364828 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #4770 on: January 22, 2014, 02:29:22 pm »

Syria already went failed state before any of this happened. It's more of a symptom than a cause.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: January 22, 2014, 02:30:34 pm »

And that's a reason not to support moderate opposition? Until they stop being moderate and turn to the extremes to survive?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: January 22, 2014, 02:32:22 pm »

You're still going way off topic here. This isn't about who should be supported and when. It's about whether Assad torturing people is real news or not.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: January 22, 2014, 02:40:58 pm »

I recall you being all about deposing Gaddafi, much similar in his methods and arguably less organized in repression of dissidents.

Firstly, Mubarak was an unfortunate necessity for trying to keep the Middle East together. The peace between Israel and Egypt is one of the most stabilizing elements in the region. Sadat was the intended keeper of that peace and his assassination could not have been foreseen. Breaking all that down to oust Mubarak would have killed the peace and lead to more wars between Israel and everyone else in the region. An internal overthrow was the only real way Mubarak could get gone without breaking the peace, and lo and behold that is what happened.

Secondly, no, Mubarak was a dictator but Gaddafi was off the fucking wall. Libya had been consistently recognized as one of the major areas of repression in the world alongside the likes of North Korea and Sudan before the revolution, Egypt by comparison was autocratic but basically livable.

Mubarak jailed dissidents, Gaddafi funded state terrorism. Mubarak censored people, Gaddafi ordered massacres. All bad, but I think you can see a divide in the level of bad.

What is different about this dictator? I know you hand-waved Mubaraks deposition because I guess it's your tendency to support authoritatian regimes if they're 'nice enough', I'm just curious what parameters you define when someone is 'bad enough to take out'.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: January 22, 2014, 02:42:55 pm »

Fuck it. I'm not going to bother with this if you refuse to even address the actual discussion.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: January 22, 2014, 02:44:07 pm »

If one is surprising and the other is not I would like you to explain to me why.

I'd just like to mention a dictator in which you're not surprised is gassing opposition and executing rebels is arguably a much worse dictator. I'd sure love to live in Syria with the expectation of getting shot in the head for not supporting Assad's dynasty.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 02:45:45 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: January 22, 2014, 02:49:34 pm »

I'm not continuing this. You either don't understand or intentionally are misunderstanding the topic.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: January 22, 2014, 02:52:07 pm »

(flaming removed)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 01:30:14 pm by Toady One »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: January 22, 2014, 02:57:15 pm »

If I remember correctly MSH and I share very similar views with respect to the Syrian conflict, supporting the FSA as the best of a bad bunch and also supporting the removal of Assad whenever possible. I would imagine we both share support for the Kurds and other minorities above all in this conflict.

I could of course be completely wrong, forgive me for speaking for you, MSH.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: January 22, 2014, 02:59:55 pm »

I think we all agreed on the Kurds. That's another fun part, it's basically 4 factions in Syria. We out to be on-default supporting Kurdistan, but hey that's just my opinion, Turkey probably doesn't like that idea too much either.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: January 22, 2014, 03:04:31 pm »

To be fair though, as in all cases, I support a Federation of Syria/United States of Syria divided along similar (though more ethnic/national) lines to the way Syria was back when it was ruled by the French. You know - an Alawite State, Jabal Druze, Aleppo State, Damascus State but also the creation of a West Kurdistan State and so on.

I take the same approach to Iraq, Iran and most states in the Middle East.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:06:12 pm by Owlbread »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: January 22, 2014, 04:31:55 pm »

Mictlantecuhtli,

You still haven't actually answered his question, that being - why is this particular thing significant? What does it actually change about the Assad situation? Why is it significant, and why is it news?

If you need some help here, I can help you out, I at least have some ideas on why it might be, but studiously avoiding responding to the actual question doesn't really get you anywhere, so I figure I'll give you at least the opportunity to try first.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 04:35:18 pm by GlyphGryph »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: January 22, 2014, 06:28:01 pm »

I consider all instances of dictatorships in this world to be news worthy. Especially when there is an ongoing civil war due to their treatment of citizenry. I never avoided that question. I'm curious why the Syrian civil war is specifically non-important.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: January 22, 2014, 06:47:20 pm »

Personally, I gathered that MSH meant more like "We all knew this was happening," with a mix of "War and police states are just prettified* torture and murder, this isn't new," rather than "I don't care about people being tortured to death."

*For certain definitions of prettified.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: January 22, 2014, 06:54:08 pm »

"We all knew this was happening", yeah, but now we can no longer push it back and pretend like it didn't happen. We can no longer say "The rebels are just as bad", we can no longer say "But at least Assad stands for a stable Syria". It is now crystal clear that Assad has crossed the moral event horizon and severed any connection to basic human decency, and we can no longer ignore that.

So yeah, it's not news, but it's newsworthy.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 416