Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364503 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #4020 on: May 31, 2013, 09:49:12 am »

So we have an intelligent and diligent statesman who at best doesn't give a crap if Saudi money funds terrorism (and at worst only says he doesn't care to hide that he wants to support terrorism) who may or may not be descending into dementia.

Great.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: May 31, 2013, 10:01:58 am »

It isn't like his predecessor was much better, or likely that effective in recent years if he wasn't.

If Salaman is getting dementia he's on his last couple of years at most, nobody lasts for long after that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: May 31, 2013, 10:29:20 am »

Noo! Oh wait, I thought that said Jordan.

Carry on.

One of my great Uncles is a radio ham. He was good friends with the previous King of Jordan, had quite a long and fruitful correspondence.

It isn't like his predecessor was much better, or likely that effective in recent years if he wasn't.

If Salaman is getting dementia he's on his last couple of years at most, nobody lasts for long after that.

Especially if it's so advanced that it's noticeable now. Within 5-6 years he might need to be replaced.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 10:30:55 am by Owlbread »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: May 31, 2013, 11:02:29 pm »

Shit has hit the fan in Turkey. There's a guy on Reddit currently assembling what's going on, minute by minute.

Long story short, apparently the millitary and secular protesters have, in a couple of hours, gotten themselves into a fight with the Turkish police.

Leatra, you out there?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:04:31 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: May 31, 2013, 11:12:13 pm »

Shit has hit the fan in Turkey. There's a guy on Reddit currently assembling what's going on, minute by minute.

Long story short, apparently the millitary and secular protesters have, in a couple of hours, gotten themselves into a fight with the Turkish police.

Leatra, you out there?

I've been seeing photos of dead and severely wounded Turkish protesters all day, beginning shortly before I went to bed this morning.  It looks pretty ugly.  My Occupy feeds were talking about action in a couple hundred cities around the world today, that may more may not be Occupy-related (there was something about claiming Liberty Square again at least for the day and I should look into how that went), but it looks like things just got really, really bad in Turkey.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: May 31, 2013, 11:37:48 pm »

People getting hurt is unfortunate, but as far as I'm concerned this is a good thing. Erdogan has had this coming for a long time.

Military is definitely with the protestors, they're even giving out gas masks.

Now getting reports of mass defections from the police force to the protesters. There was also something about an anarchist football club stealing a riot control vehicle, which is...interesting.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: May 31, 2013, 11:44:16 pm »

In other words, it's turned into something more than a protest.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: May 31, 2013, 11:50:28 pm »

I don't really think you can start calling them rebels until they have guns too.

Hopefully this time some further steps are taken to prevent Islamists from rising to power again.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: June 01, 2013, 12:01:07 am »

I don't really think you can start calling them rebels until they have guns too.

Hopefully this time some further steps are taken to prevent Islamists from rising to power again.
You mean prevent them from taking part in the political process?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: June 01, 2013, 12:05:43 am »

You mean prevent them from taking part in the political process?
Not necessarily. I'm not much one for group suppression, even if it is a group as unlikable as Islamists. I was thinking something more along the lines of writing hardline secularism into their Constitution. No laws based on religion. At all. Ever.

Edit: It just occurred to me that the Kurds in Turkey might make their move because of this. Between Iraqi and Syrian Kurdistan they stand a chance.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:07:42 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: June 01, 2013, 12:27:17 am »

Appearantly earlier some protestors grabbed a mega_phone and demanded the police surrender.

Well, this is interesting. Give me the most likely estimate, assuming you had to put down $250., of the time frame we got here. Days probaly. Week or 2. But it could also happen within hours.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: June 01, 2013, 03:25:57 am »

MSH, we're talking about Turkey here, until the AK came into power, they were going as far as banning the hijab from universities. Its government is not more religious that the GOP.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: June 01, 2013, 04:51:04 am »

I've yet to find any serious analysis of what's going on, so just going by what's been posted here;

It's well worth remembering that the Turkish military is viewed as the main secular force in that country. Or rather, they are viewed as the guardians of Kemalism, one of the main pillars of which is secularism in the French sense.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: June 01, 2013, 05:00:35 am »

All my activism-related feeds are in an uproar.  I guess today (had to pause and think for a moment there because I'm about to leave work, so it would be tomorrow for me) is when the action in Liberty Square is going to happen, plus supposedly 100 European cities.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: June 01, 2013, 05:08:32 am »

Spoiler: A protester (click to show/hide)

Apparently it started as a sit-in at a park that was planned to be demolished.
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 416