Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364530 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #390 on: February 02, 2011, 10:34:08 pm »

Brian Williams and Richard Engel live from Egypt, watching a truck try to plow through the anti-government protesters, before it ground to a halt and the was driver pulled out and something bad happened.  Williams: "It's Mad Max down there."
I'm surprised nobody has yet called it 'V for vandetta but with better lighting!'

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 02, 2011, 10:34:36 pm »

I imagine all of this will calm down once they find Mubarak. After all, they can't very well stage an execution/trial/exile while the whole city is in chaos.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 02, 2011, 10:37:18 pm »

I imagine all of this will calm down once they find Mubarak. After all, they can't very well stage an execution/trial/exile while the whole city is in chaos.

They were calm, remember?  I don't think the people causing the violence right now will calm down if he is apprehended.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 02, 2011, 10:39:38 pm »

They were calm, remember?  I don't think the people causing the violence right now will calm down if he is apprehended.
They were calm before, then Mubarak paid some people to stand against them because the millitary turned on him. Now they aren't calm. I see no reason that they won't be calm once they find Mubarak. As for the people he paid, they won't be getting paid anymore, not once their boss is captured.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 02, 2011, 10:41:42 pm »

They were calm before, then Mubarak paid some people to stand against them because the millitary turned on him. Now they aren't calm. I see no reason that they won't be calm once they find Mubarak. As for the people he paid, they won't be getting paid anymore, not once their boss is captured.

I can't fault your logic there.  I guess in general it would have a calming effect if the main instigator is taken out.  Honestly a CIA assassination wouldn't be completely out of order at this point.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 02, 2011, 10:43:50 pm »

I can't imagine how stupid a person must be anyway to accept money in exchange for walking into a crowd of thousands of angry people and begging them to turn on you.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 02, 2011, 10:45:46 pm »

There are quite a few cronies who, if a democratic government were to take control, would have quite the prison sentence. They're likely only too happy to aid the patron of their violence stay in control.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 02, 2011, 10:47:22 pm »

The other was when someone really high up ordered melanin added to milk production to cut costs, which caused lots of people permanent organ damage and killed some children.  People naturally started digging up info on wtf was going on, and one government employee publically claimed that there are separate super-healthy food production facilities secretly operated just for feeding high ranking officials.  Several people were executed before that calmed down.
Did that actually have any internal conflict doing anything meaningful? I seem to recall what happened was they exported the tainted goods, other countries found out, talked big about the danger of Chinese made products, and the Chinese government tried to make it right in the only way they knew how: lynching a couple of people that they totally said were totally responsible, so everything's totally safe now and their products are totally still good and shit, please don't stop buying from them they totally killed everyone who was a problem!

As has been said, you're not going to end up with a democracy in Egypt when the dust finally settles. Even if the initial, fledgling state is handled by idealists, they will be butchered by any faction that's organized, powerful, and not afraid to seize power violently. Since it's the middle east, that means a heretical Islamic splinter faction (as in, heretical by the terms of Islam), of the batshit insane variety (like the ones running the show in Saudi Arabia, or the deposed Afghan government; Iran is really more of a corrupt semi-secular style dictator playing to a religious image for reasons of popular support (and the appeasement of a corrupt religious institution)).

I can't fault your logic there.  I guess in general it would have a calming effect if the main instigator is taken out.  Honestly a CIA assassination wouldn't be completely out of order at this point.
That implies the US a) gives a shit whether some protesters get fucked up by a few hired thugs, who are then torn limb from limb, and b) still considers assassinating people worth the bad image, when they could just capture them, or poke Israel until they decide that Mubarak is the second coming of Hitler or something, and send people on motorcycles to throw bombs into his car.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 02, 2011, 10:48:26 pm »

I can't imagine how stupid a person must be anyway to accept money in exchange for walking into a crowd of thousands of angry people and begging them to turn on you.
Yea, I think it goes more along the lines of hiring a few people to sway the minds of many, and then those many go off and get hurt.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 02, 2011, 11:05:38 pm »

Did that actually have any internal conflict doing anything meaningful? I seem to recall what happened was they exported the tainted goods, other countries found out, talked big about the danger of Chinese made products, and the Chinese government tried to make it right in the only way they knew how: lynching a couple of people that they totally said were totally responsible, so everything's totally safe now and their products are totally still good and shit, please don't stop buying from them they totally killed everyone who was a problem!

Actually, it was Chinese who suffered the most from it, as I recall.  I don't think any children died from the incident outside of China, even.  They had major protests for a while, and this was the really damaging revelation that I previously referred to, thanks to one Zhu Yonglan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal#Anger_at_political_leaders
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 02, 2011, 11:07:44 pm »

More molotov cocktails being thrown at the protestors now.
MORE GOONS JUST CARTED IN BY TRUCK.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 11:13:00 pm by alway »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 02, 2011, 11:18:12 pm »

So... God is having fun playing Egypitian tower defence.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 02, 2011, 11:20:17 pm »

Everything ██is█████ ████ ████fine ███ █ ████ love. ████ █████ the ███ Egypt ███ ████ government ██
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 02, 2011, 11:21:05 pm »

So... God is was having fun playing Egypitian tower defence, untill he started losing.
Fixed for accuracy.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 02, 2011, 11:24:13 pm »

So... God is was having fun playing Egypitian tower defence, untill he started losing.
Fixed for accuracy.
Well level 5 is a killer... Oftern by that point your economy is so crushed that you just can't feild any defence.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 416