Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364473 times)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #405 on: February 02, 2011, 11:25:43 pm »

Did that actually have any internal conflict doing anything meaningful? I seem to recall what happened was they exported the tainted goods, other countries found out, talked big about the danger of Chinese made products, and the Chinese government tried to make it right in the only way they knew how: lynching a couple of people that they totally said were totally responsible, so everything's totally safe now and their products are totally still good and shit, please don't stop buying from them they totally killed everyone who was a problem!

Actually, it was Chinese who suffered the most from it, as I recall.  I don't think any children died from the incident outside of China, even.  They had major protests for a while, and this was the really damaging revelation that I previously referred to, thanks to one Zhu Yonglan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal#Anger_at_political_leaders
My point was that it's extremely likely that the biggest deal was that foreign countries got an object example of why sending all the manufacturing jobs to China is a fucking horrible thing to do, so the Chinese government, in their batshit insanity, did something they thought would fix the bad publicity being found exporting tainted food caused (executing a few people that for all we know were random hobos they found on the street, but whom they claimed were totally the people responsible for everything), but actually just made them look insane. China's day-to-day existence is just one big example of not giving a shit about the well-being of its people; they say some token platitude about totally not liking [insert horrible thing some petty bureaucrat did], and how things totally aren't really like that, then just keep on fucking everyone over.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 02, 2011, 11:31:14 pm »

China's day-to-day existence is just one big example of not giving a shit about the well-being of its people; they say some token platitude about totally not liking [insert horrible thing some petty bureaucrat did], and how things totally aren't really like that, then just keep on fucking everyone over.

And as I was skimming for info on the couple protests I had heard about, I quickly noticed that China has had more major protests/riots in the last couple years than I realized.  They're stable in the sense that their government doesn't seem to be going anywhere, but they're definitely not without their ripples and shakes.  They seem to have localized upheavals fairly often.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 02, 2011, 11:35:22 pm »

More molotovs.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 02, 2011, 11:37:11 pm »

Any idea what side those guys on horses are?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 02, 2011, 11:38:44 pm »

Not sure which you are referring too, but if it's the cavalry charge, that would be the thugs. Equipped with whips and some with swords.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 02, 2011, 11:39:10 pm »

Goddamn I wish I could be watching whatever you guys are watching.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 02, 2011, 11:40:42 pm »

Goddamn I wish I could be watching whatever you guys are watching.
So do I, cyclone Yasi is taking up a lot of news time.
Darn storm is almost over! Get over it news guys! I wanna see if they pull out bear cavelry!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 02, 2011, 11:41:17 pm »

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

I've had this in the background for hours now.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 02, 2011, 11:42:10 pm »

Yeah, Al Jazeera has awesome coverage of it since it began; essentially 24/7 coverage, complete with live video of Tahrir Square.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 02, 2011, 11:44:41 pm »

'Few shouting, others following'
Come on, this is so done by secret police.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 02, 2011, 11:45:35 pm »

"5 confirmed killed, 15 confirmed injured by live bullets used on protesters in Tahrir Square." Oh dear.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 02, 2011, 11:50:54 pm »

So, if the army has zero intrest in protecting anybody, remind me, why did they bother to roll in at all?

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 03, 2011, 12:13:00 am »

Presumably, they were ordered out to look menacing, and then sort of got surrounded by crowds and didn't feel like running over people to leave/didn't have orders to leave.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 03, 2011, 02:04:27 am »

Imo the army is just sitting it out. Presumably they dont want to be held to account for a Tiananmein 2 should Mubarak fall, but arent that interested in a regime charge.

btw: If you notice, a previous report stated that they did protect the promubarackers in the first riot...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 03, 2011, 02:43:46 am »

I figure that the Army is worried that one group or the other will bring guns in and start a serious massacre, and they want to make sure THEY have the biggest guns in town so they can stop it or keep it from happening.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 416