Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364667 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2011, 05:59:28 am »

Most democracies were bought with blood. If the people think it's worth that price, who are you to judge them?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2011, 06:09:18 am »

Oh I'm not judging them, just being pessimistic about the outcome and asserting that, even if most democracies came from revolution, that definitely does NOT mean that most revolutions end in democracy.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2011, 06:11:02 am »

I guess French shouldn't have revolted either, we'd all be better off if we never switched from feudalism ::)
And how many revolutions did France have? I know there were three directly related to Napoleon alone, and there was at least one before him (one famous for its pointless bloodshed and psychotic leaders) and at least two after him... I confess I'm hardly an expert on French history, but it seems that France is the ideal example of exactly what I'm talking about. Revolution breeds bloodshed, instability, and more revolution.

Most democracies were bought with blood. If the people think it's worth that price, who are you to judge them?
The people are manipulated or otherwise dragged into the conflict by ideologues. The vast majority of people do the smart thing and keep their head down unless some asshole manipulates them into serving their political aspirations.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2011, 06:12:33 am »

Freedom is more valuable than peace.

I mean, should USA have preserved slavery to appease the South and avoid the Civil War?

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2011, 06:20:47 am »

That's a false dichotomy which assumes the war was undertaken in order to end slavery. If it weren't for the slavery thing, I think most people would say the south absolutely had a right to secede. After all, no government has the right to rule over people without their consent right? The existence of a systematized evil like slavery being committed by the ones seceding (who, otherwise, were just exercising their right to self-determination) makes the whole thing more complicated.

Also, who knows if the US "should" have not gone to war against the south? Yeah, slavery ended. Also, a shitload of lives were lost, decades of economic disaster followed, and a lot of freed slaves ended up in situations just as bad as where they were before. Nobody can say what would have happened without the war, so it doesn't really make sense to talk about what should or shouldn't have been done. Especially when ending slavery wasn't even the point of the war.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2011, 06:24:20 am »

I learned everything I know about Civil War from movies :o

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2011, 06:39:27 am »

The south flipped their shit, formed a loose confederation based on the original model of the US (the one that failed horribly in under a decade, due to the whole "a weak, fragmented state is fucktarded as fuck all" thing), and attacked a northern fort, because a candidate with abolitionist sympathies, who guaranteed that he wouldn't try to end slavery, won the presidential election. So, basically, the US was appeasing them, and they just sort of went batshit anyways. And, the issue of slavery (which I don't particularly give a shit about, since industrial capitalism was even more brutal and inhumane (after all, slaves were valuable property, employees were cheap and expendable) for better than a century (on a global scale)) aside, I don't believe the south had a right to secede. They were in violent revolution against the legitimate government. They received bloody retribution for it. That is the natural order of things.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2011, 07:22:26 am »

So yeah, anyway.  How 'bout that Egypt, eh?

People are back in crowds in daylight hours, still marching since there's really no one for them to throw anything at.  Violence breaks out when police occasionally take stands again, mostly teargas and rubber bullets, but they're spread thin and apparently a good number of them didn't turn up again after the night ended.  The Army is present, but has still not taken any action besides sitting in the street.  The national party headquarters in Cairo is still burning after 24 hours.  People are chanting about food prices, unemployment, and outrage about the dissolved-cabinet quickfix.

No more official statements about what Mubarak or ElBaradi have been up to or any change in their status.  Oh, and oil prices jumped 5% overnight.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2011, 07:25:18 am »

After seeing Garbage City (yeah, there's an entire fucking district of Cairo called Garbage City, but it's not as nice as the sugar-coated name makes it sound) I had no doubt that eventually the place was going to erupt in some kind of revolt.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2011, 07:44:49 am »

If I were him, I'd have embezzelled away enough cash to get the hell out of there quick years ago. I do hope for his sake he was clever enough to do that.

Piss poor preparation equals piss poor preformance.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2011, 07:54:33 am »

Divided on the issue, there, but the protest arose spontaneously, so no point discussing the relevance of revolution. We pretty much have to roll with it.
I am convinced that wikileak's cable have a strong influence on these protest.
The strong anti American/Israelis propaganda doesn't have much weight left after you have the proof that your government is working hand in hand with them.

Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 29, 2011, 08:00:20 am »

If I were him, I'd have embezzelled away enough cash to get the hell out of there quick years ago. I do hope for his sake he was clever enough to do that.

I have a distinct feeling that Mubarak never intended to leave, and never expected to need to.  He's also 82, and probably does have a lot of money.  However, I bet his heir-apparent son managed to squirrel away some cash, and is desperately tugging on Dad's arm, trying to convince him that a burning Egypt isn't worth giving up a shot at luxurious exile.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2011, 08:28:03 am »

So, eh, what's the colour of this revolution?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 29, 2011, 08:29:47 am »

I'd just like to say that the "stopping to pray" thing doesn't really indicate that it's a religiously driven revolution.  I mean, praying 5 times a day is just something a lot of Muslims do.

Interestingly, I'm currently learning about how England's democracy was bought gradually with almost no violence.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 29, 2011, 08:38:59 am »

I'd just like to say that the "stopping to pray" thing doesn't really indicate that it's a religiously driven revolution.  I mean, praying 5 times a day is just something a lot of Muslims do.

Well, the cases mentioned were specifically where people would line up in front of the police cordons to pray, explicitly daring the police to attack them.  Since they never took the bait, it doesn't seem to be happening anymore.  Some of the reporters have anecdotes about bearded men in traditional garb trying to whip up a religious frenzy before being shouted down by blogger-types in polo shirts.  The Muslim Brotherhood organization does publicly claim to be active in the protests, but good luck finding them.

So, eh, what's the colour of this revolution?

Doesn't seem to be one.  I'd say brown because I see a lot of brown clothes, but that's a half-assed attempt at humor on my part.  Maybe it'll be gold or something, since they all band together in a hurry to protect the treasures of the pharaohs.  On that note, the museum is still in danger, and it sounds like it's getting harder to keep people out.

I wish the Yemeni protests and riots were getting more press right now.  Their viva-la-revolution-color of choice is apparently bright pink, which is just an awe inspiring sight.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 416