Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364704 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2011, 07:20:54 pm »

Muslims had nothing to do with riots in France. Let alone unemployed ones. Jeez.

The riots in France had a different cause (and different poeple rioting) every times.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2011, 07:29:24 pm »

O Rly? A lot of people seem to disagree with you.

We should probably save that for another thread though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2011, 07:48:19 pm »

I red you arctic (very good but nothing new, and was preparing o disagree, but the more I wrote about it, the more I understood your point.
If you which to discuss it send me a pm.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2011, 08:17:10 pm »

The recent riots in France were about unemployment and retirement age
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2011, 10:42:53 pm »

The recent riots in France were about unemployment and retirement age

True, but there is very high unemployment among muslim Algerians living in France.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2011, 10:44:02 pm »

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2011, 10:48:49 pm »

FAX machines? they still have those?

I can't even remember the last time I saw one.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2011, 10:57:05 pm »

FAX machines? they still have those?

I can't even remember the last time I saw one.

Many copy machines now have built in fax machines.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2011, 11:04:45 pm »

This is impossibly interesting.

Also horrible, but being several thousand miles away, interest rather horribly overpowers my shock in this case.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2011, 11:10:58 pm »

Goddammit, I slept through all the speaking action.  I'll have to find a recording of Mubarak's speech.  Only CNN is still actually showing news.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2011, 11:12:40 pm »

Goddammit, I slept through all the speaking action.  I'll have to find a recording of Mubarak's speech.  Only CNN is still actually showing news.

Don't waste your time.  I haven't seen it but I can't imagine that it's anything but bluster from a man that's gonna be overthrown any day now.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2011, 12:20:45 am »

Not sure about that : Turkey collaborate with us pretty closely, and it's working rather well.

For every Turkey, there's a Pakistan, an Iraq and an Afghanistan. :(

and a jamaica and a most of south america...

Ya I know that wasn't constructive.  Posting mostly to follow the thread.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2011, 05:34:47 am »

The way I see it, these guys have a lot more legitimate reasons to revolt than the Americans had to secede from the British Empire. Would you say that the American Revolution was wrong, Pseudonymous?
I would say it was pointless, yes. A handful of wealthy businessmen who didn't like the trade restrictions and tariffs riled up the populace, which consisted in a large part of religious fanatics who didn't like England to start with (hence why they or their parents left it). Much pointless bloodshed later a weak, fragmented state appeared, and promptly collapsed under its own weight, before they realized that "hey, a weak, fragmented state is a fucktarded thing to want," and managed to pull together a stronger, more unified state with what amounts to chewing gum and duct tape (and imposing the same sort of taxes that they ostensibly revolted against, though by that point the people who didn't like those taxes were in the Government, and thus benefited from them). It could have failed at any of a thousand points; it floundered for decades before shakily getting to its feet.

Revolutions almost never end well. Especially not in third world shitholes, where Cuba is an example of the best case scenario, with the norm being far, far worse. It is not good that one backwater shithole after another is going up in flames. Egypt is going to be much worse off for this, especially with dipshits trying to disseminate inflammatory cables, to further rile up the already pissed-off-and-torching-everything-in-sight revolutionaries.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2011, 05:38:08 am »

I guess French shouldn't have revolted either, we'd all be better off if we never switched from feudalism ::)
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2011, 05:57:48 am »

If the people inciting a revolution manage to install a stable government that's an improvement over the last one, then great, but how often does that happen? Usually whoever ends up seizing power is as bad or worse (see: Iran, whose leaders are of course probably jizzing their robes over how they imagine this is going to turn out).

But from an American perspective, people rioting against the government is the essence of democracy. That's the whole point of the second amendment, that poor misused line, and ultimately where does legitimacy of government derive from if not the collective will of the people? The problem is, "the people" never seem to end up in power; the American revolution is a lucky fluke and even there, the government was still extremely repressive by today's standards (only rich white men get the vote? that's not a legitimate government in my book).

Anyway, Egypt sure can use a change. I just hope this ends well...
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 416