Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Armor and Weapons.... What ore makes the best?  (Read 15781 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armor and Weapons.... What ore makes the best?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 11:51:18 pm »

It's also worth factoring in how quick and resource-intensive it is to get the items in question forged. In the early game, when you've got no experienced furnace operators and no access to magma (and I really do suggest you steer clear of magma in the early game!) then you're better off starting out with plain iron; it's more important that the whole militia be armed and armoured with something as expeditiously as possible.
Note also that since alluvial layers have yet to be implemented, cassiterite is quite difficult to find.

Yes, this is true. Goblins (in my experience) tend to be armed with iron or worse. Iron armor should be able to protect against their attacks significantly. Of course, ranged attacks are another matter entirely but you know how ranged attacks are.
I just started a new fort (haven't even gotten my first immigrant wave yet) and I'm planning to make iron armor but steel weapons for my first squad.  Iron for the armor because, as you rightly state, its important to have some kind of armor right away.  Steel weapons because its one steel per weapon, and a manageable amount for early in the fort.

It doesn't hurt that I'm digging out both iron and flux stone just to have a roof over my head. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 11:53:33 pm »

If you've got both, you might as well make steel, is my opinion.  It produces 2 steel bars per 2 ores melted, just costs on flux and fuel, and flux occurs in whole layers, and fuel grows out of dirt!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2011, 12:01:57 am »

Fuel also lives in 3/4 of flux layers.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 12:02:49 am »

Steel and silver for hammers/bolts.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2011, 05:18:38 am »

I am saddened by the recent revelation that Bronze Armor offers inferior protection compared to Iron Armor.  According to the data on the weapon-research thread, Bronze armor is consistently penetrated at a higher rate than Iron armor, and Iron weapons have slightly better armor-penetration capabilities than Bronze ones.

I was so proud of my bronze-clad dwarves too...
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 06:00:50 am »

I am saddened by the recent revelation that Bronze Armor offers inferior protection compared to Iron Armor.  According to the data on the weapon-research thread, Bronze armor is consistently penetrated at a higher rate than Iron armor, and Iron weapons have slightly better armor-penetration capabilities than Bronze ones.

I was so proud of my bronze-clad dwarves too...

Don't feel bad, the dwarves in my previous fort were exclusively bronze-equipped due to the same misconception. If it helps, smelting bronze from ore saves more on fuel (1 fuel + 1 ore = 1 iron bar, 1 fuel + 2 ore = 2 bronze bars).

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 07:54:00 am »

I just started a new fort (haven't even gotten my first immigrant wave yet) and I'm planning to make iron armor but steel weapons for my first squad.  Iron for the armor because, as you rightly state, its important to have some kind of armor right away.  Steel weapons because its one steel per weapon, and a manageable amount for early in the fort.

It doesn't hurt that I'm digging out both iron and flux stone just to have a roof over my head. ;)
Depending on the location you'll probably get away with that, but if you've got aggressive local wildlife you might want to knock out a few iron ones just to tide you over.

And my two pen'neth on goblinite is that even once Toady finally gets around to implementing the Law of Conservation of Mass, there's no point scrapping a perfectly serviceable weapon or bit of armour that's worth a couple of kegs to the merchants. Besides, I'm in the process of implementing universal conscription with periodic refresher training before tackling the caverns, so I need all the gear I can lay my hands on.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 09:24:34 am »

On a semi-related note, has anyone done arena testing to compare the craftsdwarfship of armor/weapons?  Will a default shield protect as well as a masterwork shield?  If no, someone (or myself) can start running tests of same-type soldiers with different levels of value to their equipment.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 09:50:13 am »

Arena items don't have quality.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 09:52:45 am »

Oh right...

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 10:43:46 am »

On a semi-related note, has anyone done arena testing to compare the craftsdwarfship of armor/weapons?  Will a default shield protect as well as a masterwork shield?  If no, someone (or myself) can start running tests of same-type soldiers with different levels of value to their equipment.
It can't be tested in arena mode yet, though that's probably worth suggesting, but the wiki had a lot of information about item quality for 40d. It may or may not still be relevant, but it's certainly the place to start looking.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: 1 2 [3]