Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Armor and Weapons.... What ore makes the best?  (Read 15775 times)

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armor and Weapons.... What ore makes the best?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 11:42:20 am »

Ya, I ran five tests of warhammers and full armor for each pairing (steel, iron, bronze). All three metals appeared to be equal, and the death came from a headshot in all cases though earlier injuries may have made that easier.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 11:49:54 am »

Projectiles: Silver, copper and bronze are good. Strength becomes more important against armour relative to density, but steel is too light to be ideal against anything you're likely to face.
My personal experience says steel is the best projectile metal against anything composed of/armored in bronze or better. However, ranged weapons are ridiculously overpowered in vanilla (better penetration then war hammers or spears) so it's hard to ever notice it, even if you try a bronze colossus or steel FB.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 11:57:48 am »

Made some testing:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Military_testing#Bronze_vs._Iron

To simulate Fortress mode opponents and leave weapon material as the only variable, dwarves wore just iron armour. Also no bashing with shields that could even the fight.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 12:26:09 pm »

Swords, shields, and full armor. Iron vs bronze, five 1-on-1 matches.

It took a long time for the matches to resolve.

Bronze scored one kill after a severed hand, opponent died from blood loss.
Iron did likewise, after a severed foot.
The remaining three matches were all won by iron, but the victory was achieved by strangulation, punch to the head, and kick to the head respectively. So the material seemed not to be a factor.

Conclusion: Sword-wise, iron and bronze seem about equal.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 12:38:40 pm »

Bronze is worse than iron for armor from what i have seen in weapons testing, but for many weapons it seems to be about equal or slightly better.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 12:49:56 pm »

Swords, shields, and full armor. Five 1-on-1 matches.

Steel vs Iron.

Steel wins convincingly. Steel sword was able to cut arteries and sever limbs through armor on any location.

Steel vs Bronze.

Steel wins convincingly. As easily as it did for iron.

Conclusion: Steel makes a good weapon for swords. Against goblin armor (iron, copper, etc), you won't have to worry so much about deflection.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 02:32:38 pm »

However, ranged weapons are ridiculously overpowered in vanilla (better penetration then war hammers or spears)
I dunno, this seems kind of sensible to me. A bolt is smaller than a spear and fired faster, and has more length than the head of a war hammer.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 02:34:06 pm »

There's also the Blood Thorn tree, found in the deepest cavern depths, with a density of 1.25g/cm3, the heaviest tree available, and useful for ballista and bolts since it's a renewable source and produces 25 bolts per log.

And war hammers aren't meant to penetrate, they're hammers!  They bash things, they don't slice!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 03:13:00 pm »

And war hammers aren't meant to penetrate, they're hammers!  They bash things, they don't slice!
That's a maul. Actual, functional war hammers actually have a small head and usually also double as a military pick.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 04:14:34 pm »

I found that even with full legendaries for my military, they get killed by some cheap shot going through a bronze or iron helm or breastplate. I wouldn't recommend starting a dedicated military unless you have access to a lot of steel or adamantine. Until then, serrated discs of basically any metal will utterly dice enemies, seeing as they strike three times each and you can fit ten of them into a single trap.

On a side note, why is adamantine still considered a spoiler. The dangers of mining it is a spoiler sure, but the stuff is viewable on the stocks and stone screen. And I found that if its due to being uncommon, I find less platinum than adamantine as well as a whole bunch of other really uncommon crap.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:21:27 pm by tehc »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 04:19:19 pm »

I killed a giant with one 10x serrated trap.  Granted, the next giant got killed by one soldier who dodged and blocked all attacks, and then cut the giant's throat with an axe, so I think giants aren't as impressive as they sound, but STILL!  Untill your serrated trap clogs, it'll pretty much shred anything.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 05:42:25 pm »

It's also worth factoring in how quick and resource-intensive it is to get the items in question forged. In the early game, when you've got no experienced furnace operators and no access to magma (and I really do suggest you steer clear of magma in the early game!) then you're better off starting out with plain iron; it's more important that the whole militia be armed and armoured with something as expeditiously as possible.
Note also that since alluvial layers have yet to be implemented, cassiterite is quite difficult to find.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 10:57:26 pm »

It's also worth factoring in how quick and resource-intensive it is to get the items in question forged. In the early game, when you've got no experienced furnace operators and no access to magma (and I really do suggest you steer clear of magma in the early game!) then you're better off starting out with plain iron; it's more important that the whole militia be armed and armoured with something as expeditiously as possible.
Note also that since alluvial layers have yet to be implemented, cassiterite is quite difficult to find.

Yes, this is true. Goblins (in my experience) tend to be armed with iron or worse. Iron armor should be able to protect against their attacks significantly. Of course, ranged attacks are another matter entirely but you know how ranged attacks are.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 10:59:28 pm »

I've had hordes upon hordes of goblins attack me this fort. Most were wearing normal clothes, but some had copper breastplates (copper wtf?) and iron helms for whatever reason. They also sported iron weapons, so goblinite could make a decent iron ore if you can't find any.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 11:04:38 pm »

If you've got access to magma, goblinite makes a fantastic ore.
Pages: 1 [2] 3