Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fortress 'themes'  (Read 3212 times)

Seanp888

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy *shrug*
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress 'themes'
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 12:08:13 pm »

Yesterday I was making a Magma themed fort, and by that i mean all the main halls have magma streams in the middle thus being awesomely dangerous its kinda like this

This is a hall way with 2 rooms on each side with a bridge for convince 
W++MM++W
W++MM++W
W++MM++W
D++BB++D
D++BB++D
W++MM++W
W++MM++W

B = Bridge
M = Magma
+ = Floor
W = Wall
D = Door

I am kinda afraid of somthing invades every one will dodge into the Magma and become !!Dwarfs!!
\  I don't imagine them marching out there in a column and facing the enemy in a phalanx and using traditional footwork and precise blows to disable their target.  I figure they chug six beers, strap up and roll out with the intention of making something vomit.\

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 12:46:25 pm »

My current fort is rather statuesque. I'll post pics if I ever finish it.

I'm experimenting with a "Xanadu" theme. We'll see how it goes.
This is to make me recognizable.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 02:26:11 pm »

I'm building a giant plaza above the ground.

In which a small town shall be built.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 02:29:09 pm »

I've been building a submarine but for some reason my savegame got corrupted destroying seven years of work. Ironically I've thought of creating backup fifteen minutes before discovering that.
It was going to be situated in deepened ocean, with only pillar connecting it to the rest of the map. Onshore part of fortress was going to something like support bay. It would have a drop chute in order to support sub with food, resources and reinforcements if needed.
Now I'm building a fort in aquifer world, so main theme is drilling machinery (it's more of pumping machinery in fact, but it's impossible to go deeper than it reaches so it can be related to drilling)
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 06:30:45 pm »

Ah, when I read the title of the thread, I thought you meant themes like this:

Typically my forts are pretty much just squares with an airlock, simple and no thrills.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 06:38:58 pm by Berserkenstein »

Seanp888

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy *shrug*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 10:29:29 pm »

Typically my forts are pretty much just squares with an airlock, simple and no thrills.

Whoa.... Thats not at all what i was expecting.
\  I don't imagine them marching out there in a column and facing the enemy in a phalanx and using traditional footwork and precise blows to disable their target.  I figure they chug six beers, strap up and roll out with the intention of making something vomit.\

vlademir1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 10:51:24 pm »

I've recently been doing a jungle farming outpost inspired by the lack of surviving goblins during my latest world gen.  Once the junk stone, gems and coal are off the map It'll be transitioned to a pure farm crop and livestock output.  I'm hoping to go four or five generations like that... the recent introduction of elephants to my livestock may help, but the fact I'm now past 100,000 in created wealth may leave me with some population losses soon ;) (pop cap is 50 (just because it is a farming village), so I'm uncertain if a megabeast will pop out before births drive it up to 80, which'll be at least another generation at current rate)

Whoa.... Thats not at all what i was expecting.

Especially with a Lucky Star theme, of all things. The disconnect between the two hurts.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 11:04:06 pm »

Themed forts tend to work out better for me than regular ones.
I once tried doing a fort that had all of it's industry devoted to exporting booze.  This was my first "successful" fort, at least by my standards.

I have this idea where, in addition to my "real" military, each industry (they are all given their own floors) has it's own militia, made up of part-time workers.  I want to make this happen in my current fortress, but I'm being slowed down by FPS and farming issues.  Someday...
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 12:03:10 am »

I tend to go medieval on my forts. Planters become serfs, champions become knights, building a keep out of a hill... that sort of thing.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

DKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 10:59:32 am »

Right now I've got the rich/poor divide going (slit by a brook) and am working on removing the layers between the caverns so I can do a Tokyo-3 styled underground. I have a few other things but those are just minor projects.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 01:27:12 pm »

One challenge theme I've thought about is an elf-friendly fortress. No wood, meat or leather. Mainly this would mean no beds, which is something dwarves would have most trouble adjusting to.

If you'd go with only imported wooden gear... I think that would be too difficult even for a challenge.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 05:03:55 pm »

I liked doing a necromancer fort before--no burials, keep your dead close even if their ghosts cause murderous problems. Good stuff,.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Elu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 05:13:17 pm »

my first two-three forts had just a hive dormitory, a dining room with kitchen one z-level under, and a square open space workshops under that, all of that accessible only from a 2tile corridor with a lot of turns...
then i learned that Fun is fun and now i search the pleasure of seeing the fortress develop rather than the efficency, so start with a simple corridor pierced into the mountain, a little still and some room, and when the fort grows add the necessary workshop/room/offices, in a manner that later on every migrant can admire the historical 5x5 dining hall where the first pioneers consumed their two-legged rhino lizard's drumstick, and then continue to the hivelike worker quarters and their giant mess hall to receive a nice plate of stew...
also a constant of my every fort, the Endless Stair, that i haven't managed to complete it yet(and probably never).

i also like to dig upward and set up crops and anti-drowing garden on the top or quite hard slopes of mountain, that can be accessed only from the fort...

also, is there anyone that build in plains/hills? i can't conceive a fort that isn't carved into a mountain...
Dwarf Fortress, a game which learning curve is a Himalayan trail covered in blood. and alcohol. on fire.

English is not my mother tongue, please point out my mistakes and help me improve it : )

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 05:28:03 pm »

I'm building a giant plaza above the ground.

In which a small town shall be built.

I misread this and thought you were building a giant pizza.  I know what I'm doing!  The cheese will be orthoclase floors, pepperoni will be hematite blocks, sauce will be bauxite below the cheese.  Mushrooms will be obsidian and gneiss, and anchovies will be steel.  The crust...  Hmm... Wood, I guess.  And the trade depot will be at the center!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 01:01:11 pm »

My current fortress is being built in the theme of a bandit organization. On the surface/first few z-levels lies the military fortress, inhabited only by military dwarves and farmers. Then, separated by floodgates and bridges, the oppressed, imprisoned work force labors to produce what the military needs: weapons, armor, bolts, etc. It is going quite well, although it is only in its second year. Once the heavy sieges start coming, we'll see if it holds up.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 01:09:57 pm by Crazy Cow »
Pages: 1 [2] 3