Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fortress 'themes'  (Read 3213 times)

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
Fortress 'themes'
« on: January 14, 2011, 08:37:57 pm »

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone out there builds their fortress with a theme, mods or no mods.
I've been planning to build a bunker style fort. The idea is to have 'warehouses' above ground, tightly locked down, and near them have some form of elevator to move the dwarves to and from the surface. (Or if having watervators is pointlessly hard, just stairs)

I've got plans for this, but I still suck at getting a fortress up and running properly. But it WILL be built :P

So anyway, do you ever build your fortress with special designs, to suit some sort of theme?

(Plus, it'd be really fun to explore in adventure mode :D)
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress 'themes'
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 09:24:36 pm »

While I frequently use a sorta generic build (surface is a walled in area with access to the top of the wall for archers, fish and butcher industry and trade caravan, 'dirt' level is storage, first stone area is for main hall, main barracks, hospital, dormitory and some workshops, below that is primary living quarters, below that are noble living quarters, and all the way down in the magma is my metal industry). 

However I have done a few where there was a 'great fort' and a 'horrible fort', separated by a set of bridges making accessing one from the other controlled.  The former was opulant and wonderous, the latter was very utilitarian and functional, but depressing (and also the first area for invaders to hit).  Normally I just put useful dwarves in the former and useless ones in the former (until they become useful) but spurred by another thread I have been thinking of making a death trap thing between (can you make it so your dwarves will trigger traps?), so on the paradise side are a bunch of mangled, but happy, dwarves.

Have also thought about making a similar death trap to weed out unskilled migrants, you want in you either have to come with great skill, or be really lucky (normally I just stick unskilled ones in my military with cheap armor (if any), they can serve as cannon fodder, but this idea seems much more interesting).

-MB

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 09:26:34 pm »

I like to build a slums, Then assign it to urist Mccheese maker and his friend's Urist McLyeMaker, Then make diffrent secetions for diffrent workers ((Farmers, Miners, Engravers, Ect.))
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 09:35:11 pm »

I really like the idea of the horrible fort and the really nice fort :D

Also, is it possible to make exploding mines? I just had an idea for one.
Have a barrel of beer, and put pressure plates all around it. right underneath is hatch, which leads to high pressure magma. Standing on a pressure plate opens the hatch and EXPLODES the barrel. Would it work?

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 09:43:12 pm »

w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 09:50:56 pm »

So then how about having a really small room of--

Sorry I'm going a bit of topic  :-X

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 09:51:07 pm »

I like to embark in very cold places, and use a "bunker" setting, with sections separated by blast doors (raised bridges) and a series of structures in the surface which serve for trade goods storage, and meeting area with merchants (ideally, there is a "threshold" building, which doesn't lead anywhere in itself, but from which you can access a bridge that leads to the underground access, and also a "trading depot" which is open to traders access, but which is only accessed from the fortress once the traders are safely in, and that part is locked). Oh, and also there is the idea to keep the upper class quarters deeper and more secure, and possibly with an autonomous food production unit, which needs not be continuously operative, but should be able to feed them)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 10:37:19 pm »

Admittedly the 'good fort/bad fort' was an idea I got from another thread a long time ago, but its nice to pass it on.

Another fun one for a challenge is a desert/tundra fort (no trees, no water, etc).  Glacier too, though getting water in that is not too hard, where as  doing so in the others is much harder.  Though caverns have basically taken away a lot of that difficulty, you'd have to turn them off, or promise not to use them for water or whatever, to get the same feeling of extreme survival.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 11:45:40 pm »

I like to build a fort around a nice death trap once in a while. These forts tend to be quite functional and dull.

I haven't done it yet but I want to play a hunting lodge themed fort. Rules:
  • No farming only plant gathering
  • Hunt and fish for food
  • Only domestic dogs
I'm either going to trade bone and leather crafts for metals or use simple mines. I want to build using wood and stone if possible. I'm tempted to play it as humans.

Back in 40d I did a military fort where I tried to have most dwarves as soldiers. Unfortunately my FPS made it impossible. I want to try it again on my new PC.

I'm waiting to find the right site to make a fort centred on a massive dam.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 12:13:20 am »

I usually try to pick a dead-end valley, to speed up the task of walling it off. The fortress invariably radiates outwards from the trade depot and two huge storerooms, one for food and one for finished goods, raw materials and gems. I'll also dig a small dormitory near this area so my starting seven have a place to sack out until I've got the essentials dug; in previous versions this would become the barracks, but as of .31 it eventually becomes the hospital.

Living and workshop space is dug in blocks of four 3x3 rooms, with 2-tile wide corridors between them. If I hit a vein of something I need while stuff I've already designated is being dug I rewall afterwards, but otherwise I'll dig it out completely. The biggest one becomes the communal cemetery, the others statue gardens. I also can't stand lots of black space between rooms, so I'll hollow it out and add yet another statue garden or a noble's bedroom or even just a furniture stockpile. Engraving is restricted to VIP quarters and communal areas so some poor guy doesn't have get charged some ludicrous rent just because a legendary engraver happened to wander through.
As far as workshops go, the wood and fuel stockpiles go well outside the walls -if possible on the other side of the river or brook- so the workshops go there as well, under a stone roof that bears a passing resemblance to the canopy over a petrol station's forecourt.

Overall, my forts invariably bring to mind a postwar New Town, except entirely populated by hairy alcoholics with anger-management issues and the common sense of a concussed sheep...
Oh, Armok help me. All my fortresses are Dwarf Corby!
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 12:36:56 am »

I usually like to pick a theme or restriction when I embark.  Two recent ones I did was an above ground desert city with a primary industry of cloth, and a 10x10 tower that holds my entire fortress. 

I'd LIKE to make a military outpost themed one, but the military dwarfs seem to useless and slow to train lately that I haven't been able to get interested.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 12:38:40 am »

Has anyone made a spaceship/flying thing themed one?

I've heard of the airship, and that was pretty cool :D

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 01:14:06 am »

Has anyone made a spaceship/flying thing themed one?

I've heard of the airship, and that was pretty cool :D

It might actually be possible to make one completely detached from the ground by attaching it to the sky.

In the arena, if you make a wall at the top z-level, it won't cave in. It's stuck on the sky.

This may be a new megaproject.

Wonder if it'll work.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 01:23:50 am »

IIRC, hanging things from the sky is fairly difficult because it doesn't let you build walls or supports at the top z-level. Not impossible, mind you, since you can cast an obsidian wall up there and hang your fort from that, but difficult nonetheless. You should be able to nail things to the sky with cast-obsidian pillars, though  :D
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 08:34:57 am »

I had a cannibal amazon fortress recently, but abandoned when I noticed that the males (butcherable, serving as livestock) would arrive as nameless migrants since they have the [INTELLIGENT] tag removed.

Right now I'm building a military fort, with the entire military training outside and no traps whatever. It's fun because I had the elves, humans and goblins to be in eternal conflict with me.
Pages: [1] 2 3