Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31

Author Topic: American Congresswoman Shot ; 11 others shot, 6 killed, RIP  (Read 23685 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: American Congresswoman Shot ; 11 others shot, 6 killed, RIP
« Reply #285 on: January 11, 2011, 09:15:39 pm »

We made it through the Great Depression and 9/11 and only now are such statements being made. Revolution wasn't even taken seriously when Bush was in office. I don't think people have enough reason to be disgruntled enough to entertain such a thought.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 11, 2011, 09:32:38 pm »

The minority that would be reactionary/radical enough to launch a revolt are too weak to defeat the American Military, anyway. Look at Canada's FLQ during the 60s/70s, for example. I doubt the Tea Party could muster the force to actually win a civil war, let alone try one.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 11, 2011, 10:52:05 pm »

The minority that would be reactionary/radical enough to launch a revolt are too weak to defeat the American Military, anyway. Look at Canada's FLQ during the 60s/70s, for example. I doubt the Tea Party could muster the force to actually win a civil war, let alone try one.

For a better example, look at the 60's in the United States. The 1860's. It could be argued the better half of the American military's officer corps defected and their best man, Lee, was against slavery. Not that we need to open that can of worms (here at least) but really, you can't assume the Army or Marines will react in lockstep one way or the other.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 11, 2011, 10:54:55 pm »

For a better example, look at the 60's in the United States. The 1860's. It could be argued the better half of the American military's officer corps defected and their best man, Lee, was against slavery. Not that we need to open that can of worms (here at least) but really, you can't assume the Army or Marines will react in lockstep one way or the other.
I was going to suggest that, without the whole 1860's reference...

But the thought of an internal war in America, now? I personally find that a little worrying.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 11, 2011, 11:04:42 pm »

I was going to suggest that, without the whole 1860's reference...

But the thought of an internal war in America, now? I personally find that a little worrying.
Welcome to Crazyland. Don't forget to visit the Creation Museum on your way through. *sigh*

But yeah, there's a reason Europeans watch our politics when they need reminding that theirs aren't so bad after all.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:06:32 pm by alway »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 11, 2011, 11:09:56 pm »

And remember, right now a huge chunk of the army is overseas.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 11, 2011, 11:16:14 pm »

The Creation Museum is not the least bit relevant to this discussion. Now the location of Fort Benning, Fort Knox, Crane Naval Depot and all the nuclear silos...
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 11, 2011, 11:21:09 pm »

Dunno about you, but I haven't seen that stop drone pilots before. A 'huge chunk' is nothing when you consider we have the most expensive, high tech military in the world. You may as well plot to take down a military base with a LARPing sword for all the chance anyone has of such a silly notion as overthrow of the US government by force.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 11, 2011, 11:21:21 pm »

Yes, because nuclear silos can be repurposed by anyone who can find the front door.

I think the bigger question is, what would the factions claims themselves to be.  The people with the biggest gripe against the Federal government are the people who call themselves the "real America".  You can't have a civil war were both sides think they're the original country, and one wants to kick the other out.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 11, 2011, 11:24:59 pm »

No matter who wins in such a civil war, I have little doubt that we would see mass executions and oppression of the faction that lost for being "unamerican".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 11, 2011, 11:33:38 pm »

Dunno about you, but I haven't seen that stop drone pilots before. A 'huge chunk' is nothing when you consider we have the most expensive, high tech military in the world. You may as well plot to take down a military base with a LARPing sword for all the chance anyone has of such a silly notion as overthrow of the US government by force.

Well, sure. Unless you're Switzerland, Argentina, Cuba, Spain, France, Norway, Finland, Russia, Afghanistan, Somalia, Iraq, China, Mexico, Korea, Poland, Algeria, India, Palestine, or Vietnam there's really very little chance of non-soldiers putting up fight against a conventional army. I might have missed a few examples though, but I'm sure your point is sound that a large, state of the art military is completely capable of squelching armed insurrection. I mean, aside from that one time African tribesmen with cowhide shields and spears fought the British with repeating rifles, a technology gap simply cannot be overcome.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 11, 2011, 11:43:55 pm »

Yea? And how is this Taliban-like force going to operate? Or even gain more than a few hundred conspiracy nuts for that matter? If you haven't noticed, most of the media, especially those currently rabble rousing in that particular direction, are more or less owned by corporations. Corporations whose vested interest is for American stability, since they are very likely the site of their corporate headquarters, make up most of their consumer base, and have the potential to wipe out any hope of economic prosperity anywhere? The moment the rabble rousers go too far, they will be yanked off stage and replaced with more corporate friendly ones. Take away the loudspeakers and the crazies get forgotten within a news cycle or two. They don't have the religious draw to bring people in, since it would be impossible to argue that the American infidels are coming to invade their lands. Most people would clearly see talk of rebellion for what it really is: suicidal insanity.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:47:04 pm by alway »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 11, 2011, 11:52:18 pm »

...Corporations whose vested interest is for American stability, since they are very likely the site of their corporate headquarters, make up most of their consumer base, and have the potential to wipe out any hope of economic prosperity anywhere?

This really isn't true anymore.  All the growth is going to be in emerging markets.  A company headquartered in the U.S. that makes it's goods in China to sell to Latin America isn't gonna be headquartered in the U.S. for that long.

As of right now 50% of the profits earned by the S&P 500 are earned overseas.  Companies won't give a damn about American stability for much longer.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 12, 2011, 12:10:15 am »

Unless you're suggesting that the Tea Partiers are going to convince entire States to defect with them and rally against the United States of America, this actually has nothing to do with the likelihood of a civil war.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 12, 2011, 12:12:02 am »

As of right now 50% of the profits earned by the S&P 500 are earned overseas.  Companies won't give a damn about American stability for much longer.
It's not generally a good idea to head your company in said overseas areas as you would need your own private army to keep the local governments from extorting the hell out of you to raise their GDP by 100%.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31