Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: The Bay12 72-Hour Roguelike Contest - February Theme: "The Director"  (Read 15993 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 72-Hour Roguelike Contest - February Theme: "The Director"
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2011, 11:06:16 am »

Oh, if anyone needs inspiration:

http://norefuge.net/vgng/vgng.html

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2011, 12:11:14 pm »

Oh, if anyone needs inspiration:

http://norefuge.net/vgng/vgng.html

I'm in love. One of my first results: "Throbbing Bimbo Gang."

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2011, 12:48:00 pm »

Quote from: First result from opening the VGNG
Manic Sandwich Voyage

I can see how it would make a great game for this. You set out, with a team of adventurers, in search of the fabled sandwiches of godly deliciousness. You have a limited supply of sandwiches, and if they run out for too long, you lose. You, the leader, would have low levels in every skill, while each of your minions would be specialized in a few areas, but have *no* skill in others. That way, it would be far more efficient to delegate the work to those who can do it best. There would be many obstacles, from oceans to mountains, each with different ways to overcome them. The world would be infinite and procedural from the starting seed. At any time, you could stop the party and settle down, perhaps permanently(as a way to end the game with a score bonus), as long as you can get farming set up to prevent your sandwich supply from rnning out.

If you play for long enough, some of your characters might experience old age, potentially to the point of death, but that can be counteracted by finding an elusive Sandwich Of Youth, that would reset their age(removing any old-age debuffs), but not their stats, to the start of their peak ability. Your goal would be to find as many Sandwiches Of Power as possible, especially Greater Sandwiches Of Power, to increase your score before retiring. You can probably train someone to become a sandwalchemist, one skilled in the art of the preparation of Sandwiches Of Power, but unlikely to make anything beyond Lesser Sandwiches Of Power except in a VERY long and successful game, especially considering that even the lowest Sandwich Of Power requires high quality, rare, ingredients.

Well, now I have an idea for the gameplay, I'll just need a basic text displaying engine before I start. That means either writing my own (for a different project) and re-using it, or finding one of those popular roguelike libraries and using it.
Eh?
Eh!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2011, 01:56:25 pm »

New idea: Next 7-day contest, you have to make a game using that generator  :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

White Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Puppeh? (also stabs)
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2011, 11:01:39 pm »

Finished, I guess?

I threw in crafting, monsters and what I would guess counts as an ending. I promise neither functionality nor entertainment.

It is your quest to craft the mythical G. Hammer. To do so, you must acquire the hearts of four monsters from the caves of excuseplot. The caves are treacherous and whatnot, so be prepared to hide behind your seven meatshields buddies.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 04:12:30 am by White Kitteh »
HUNGRY PROGRAMMER NEEDS BANDWIDTH. FOOD UNIMPORTANT.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2011, 03:48:11 am »

excuseplot.
:D

I'll try it when I get home.

Endek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2011, 08:42:14 am »

I'll probably start my first 24 hour chunk this weekend. I'll post again when I actually do so.

Also, "Stoic Desert Pimps" :D

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2011, 12:53:58 pm »

Finished, I guess?

I threw in crafting, monsters and what I would guess counts as an ending. I promise neither functionality nor entertainment.

It is your quest to craft the mythical G. Hammer. To do so, you must acquire the hearts of four monsters from the caves of excuseplot. The caves are treacherous and whatnot, so be prepared to hide behind your seven meatshields buddies.
I got an M. Hammer. Does that count? It took me a while to figure out what is clickable and what isn't, but it was pretty cool for a first run. Trying again... Nice death-screen as well, btw :)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2011, 02:29:23 pm »

This thread seemed most appropriate for me to ask my question.

I was thinking of writing a roguelike in my spare time if I can overcome my inherent laziness.  I was thinking a bit on how to do map storage if I had a massive map(I don't need to worry about Z-Levels).  QuadTree's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadtree) seemed like a good idea, but I couldn't find much on if any current roguelikes use this so I'm wondering if there is a fundamental problem with using a quadtree.  Does anyone have any thoughts of potential pitfalls?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 02:31:06 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2011, 02:46:22 pm »

Quad trees are good if you have large homogeneous areas. The more detail in an area, the more space and time it will take to build.

An open plain will take relatively few quads. A densely packed forest will take many, many, many quads unless you abstract the trees away.

I believe Siquo is working on a project using oct-trees, he may be able to provide more practical insight.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2011, 03:29:26 pm »

Yeah, but octrees (3D) as a map-container are a whole different ballpark, as there's occlusion, line-of-sight, level-of-detail, etc. that you don't have in 2d. Also, I dropped that part and I'm now just using them to group objects together, to minimise collision detection time. :)

Anyhow, it all depends on your map. Will you be reading it from file, or generating it on the fly? And how huge is huge? (I once had a design using multiple coordinate systems that could theoretically hold about the size of the milky way ;) )
Quad/octtrees are useful if you need several loci of detail in a large field of nothing, but if it's just 1 character traversing the world, you don't really need to load or draw the rest of the world, which makes a quadtree a bit superfluous.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2011, 03:44:27 pm »

Anyhow, it all depends on your map. Will you be reading it from file, or generating it on the fly? And how huge is huge? (I once had a design using multiple coordinate systems that could theoretically hold about the size of the milky way ;) )
Quad/octtrees are useful if you need several loci of detail in a large field of nothing, but if it's just 1 character traversing the world, you don't really need to load or draw the rest of the world, which makes a quadtree a bit superfluous.

Probably not too huge in actual practice, but I'd like the world to be seeming infinite if they keep walking in one direction.  I'll be generating it on the fly as the player nears the edges of what has already been generated, and I'll need to store it in a file when saved as well.

The map itself will be for an underground world, so there will be a lot of filled in dirt, but there will be things like twisty passageways and cities as well. 

Its possible that just loading a bunch of big 2d arrays with the map data might be fine if the quad-tree won't handle lots of small details well.   :)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2011, 04:35:15 pm »

You'll probably only need 9 "screens" (pieces of map just a bit larger than the screen size), where the player is always in the center one, so you can preload the screens directly around him, and unload those which are further away. This'll allow for still-active off-screen critters, up to a distance X, as well. Every "screen" has an integer ID (ARBITRARY_LARGE_NUMBER*x+y), with which you can easily retrieve earlier saved data.

Or something :P

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2011, 04:38:41 pm »

That makes sense.  Maybe I'll try that first and then if for some reason its not quite enough I'll experiment with things like QuadTrees. 

White Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Puppeh? (also stabs)
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2011, 04:07:46 am »

I got an M. Hammer. Does that count? It took me a while to figure out what is clickable and what isn't, but it was pretty cool for a first run. Trying again... Nice death-screen as well, btw :)

1. Nope, G. Hammer.

2. I just just realised I forgot to put the readme in the zip. I believe that a kind of Palm-to-face manoeuvre is called for? I'll edit it into the post.
HUNGRY PROGRAMMER NEEDS BANDWIDTH. FOOD UNIMPORTANT.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10