Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18

Author Topic: Wooddipped, an Elven Succession Game!  (Read 21517 times)

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wooddipped, an Elven Succession Game!
« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2011, 07:33:57 pm »

I think by making ironbark trees grow in cold climates and bronzewood only grow in savannas or other high "risk" areas would also balance out the reactions as this would create a sense of tension to the use of wood. Yes you can finally complete that wall to keep the invaders/horde of lions/pack of wolves out but each section of wall depletes your supply of weapons/armor/ammo. Meaning that wood needs to be carefully allocated... at least when it comes to the special kinds such as those above. The hardened wood reaction would also allow for more general embarks to be a bit more successful and I could make it so that 2 urists of normal wood create a urist of workable hard wood that could be made into weapons at craft shops... that seems balanced enough as limited digging means little fuel for a smelter and elves value wood too much to burn it. Any thoughts?

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #226 on: February 14, 2011, 07:59:48 pm »

Sounds good, but I really didn't read it I completely read it analyzed it and I totally agree, and there is a 75.16834751627384681923473241234618732% chance the others will agree. Does anyone want to read my story? It's "The Epic of a'Sitari Gold-Ward. Thanks!

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 14, 2011, 09:12:51 pm »

I was worried for a moment that this wood would make things too easy. It looks like you don't plan on giving us that luxury. Make the "hard wood" something like copper.

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 14, 2011, 10:21:55 pm »

I was worried for a moment that this wood would make things too easy. It looks like you don't plan on giving us that luxury. Make the "hard wood" something like copper.

Well this is Dwarf Fortress so nothing should be easy, but it should still offer a sense of hope. Copper seems like it would be appropriate especially if you embark on a wilderness with large amounts of trees. Though with these new trees and reactions the edits to the elves combat skills may need to be lowered as with iron -> bronze level weaponry we may experience too drastic a change in combat effectiveness. I still think steel equivalent materials should be restricted to the dwarfs as this is their niche... making elves the size of humans/ taller seems appropriate.

On a side note maybe adding a tree with a syndrome to swamp/ evil areas may add a bit more fun. Nothing like major necrosis of course but I haven't done much modding with syndrome and they seem rather interesting to work with.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 14, 2011, 10:28:23 pm »

I was worried for a moment that this wood make things too easy. It looks like you don't plant on giving us that luxury. Make the "hard wood" something like copper.

I agree. I don't think he should papyrus that much. Although average would be alright. Perhaps make a kick-ash warrior caste powered by beleaf. Although the syndrome idea sounds pretty cool. Maybe with some punny consequences.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 15, 2011, 11:01:11 am »

Syndrome wood wood be neetles, but as much as I pine for this, can a syndrome be planted in wood? That might be a thorn in your side. Though if it works, we can clear cut the dwarves. I can imagine it now, our troops birched high (wood) up on a tower (cap), the arrows leaf the bow, felling our vertically challenged foes. As they larch around in pain, arrows planted in their chest, nuts, and palms, I will(ow) laugh as they do nut have a chance of living!

Can we change the main invaders from goblins to dwarves?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 15, 2011, 01:18:56 pm »

Syndrome wood wood be neetles, but as much as I pine for this, can a syndrome be planted in wood? That might be a thorn in your side. Though if it works, we can clear cut the dwarves. I can imagine it now, our troops birched high (wood) up on a tower (cap), the arrows leaf the bow, felling our vertically challenged foes. As they larch around in pain, arrows planted in their chest, nuts, and palms, I will(ow) laugh as they do nut have a chance of living!

1.) Sigged.

@Black Legion and Misc. suggestions:
2.) I love everything that I have heard thus far. :D Black_Legion, your suggestion sounds fantastic. As someone else had suggested earlier in the thread, would it also be possible to turn goldensalve into the elven equivalent of soap?

3.)
Can we change the main invaders from goblins to dwarves?
It will be done.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 01:37:59 pm by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 15, 2011, 03:40:05 pm »

You want a challenge? Try the Nothing!
They are the swarm!
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 15, 2011, 06:03:55 pm »

The puns they pine for me... :P

On a more productive note I'm starting on the reactions and trees tonight so I should have most of the elements done by the new release in a few days. As for dwarves being the main siegers it could turn out too destructive as they would come armored mostly in steel, which I know by experience cuts through bronze like it was butter and resists most attacks. Simply as they are know they would send caravans allowing players to piss them off much like players do currently to elves. Though they would bring steel bars, weapons, and stone instead of cloth/leather making their trade more lucrative. On a fun note; syndrome inducing wood barrels seems like a wonderful idea... beds even more interesting.

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 15, 2011, 06:32:40 pm »

Yay! first time sigged!

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 15, 2011, 10:39:10 pm »

On a more productive note I'm starting on the reactions and trees tonight so I should have most of the elements done by the new release in a few days. As for dwarves being the main siegers it could turn out too destructive as they would come armored mostly in steel, which I know by experience cuts through bronze like it was butter and resists most attacks. Simply as they are know they would send caravans allowing players to piss them off much like players do currently to elves. Though they would bring steel bars, weapons, and stone instead of cloth/leather making their trade more lucrative. On a fun note; syndrome inducing wood barrels seems like a wonderful idea... beds even more interesting.

Is good! Regarding the trees, however- I am not sure about having certain ones exclusive to cold environment, as places that freeze and snow are practically uninhabitable by elves..
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 15, 2011, 11:39:31 pm »

Is good! Regarding the trees, however- I am not sure about having certain ones exclusive to cold environment, as places that freeze and snow are practically uninhabitable by elves..

True, Elves would have a hard time in such climates but that would makes these trees fairly valuable due to the harsh conditions needed to be braved in order to harvest them. As far as I know I've seen many Elves living in colder, almost frigid areas during both adventure and fortress mode play so you would still be able to receive this wood through elven caravans if they have a civilization/town in those areas.

In short all those elven caravans now may bring useful things such as ironbark from the frigid tundras. ** Fun fact do not use these trees in danger rooms as they tend to level you medical dwarves while reducing the overall effectiveness of the military squad you meant to train. It is notably harder to spar with a 4 foot spur of iron-hard bark lodged between your colon and sternum than it would initially appear to be.

As an update to the development of the trees I've added an additional 2 more. Expect in addition to Ironbark trees and Bronzewoods populating the forest vile Toadwarts and  deadly Corpsewoods to be bring the fun and fear of syndromes to a fortress near you. I'm still working on how to translate material values such as that of iron and bronze to their respective trees but my internet appears to be slower than I thought... as such my method of seeing an easy way to introduce metal-like properties into wood tissue has had a minor setback.  As to the name of Corpsewood... does this name seem an appropriate moniker to you? I'm also particular to Ghoulwight, Barrow Oak, and Wightthorn. I'll let you guess their properties from their names :D

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 16, 2011, 11:42:03 am »

I pop in this thread and you guys are giving elves actual weaponry.

Fortunately, the concept of trees so hardcore they're analogous to metals is way too cool. Is there any way to increase the amount of time it takes to fell them, so as to make harvesting them more time-consuming and dangerous? Could these trees require a special reaction of their own: a process of treating the wood itself? Essentially different "wood alloys" similar to bronze and steel but not quite as potent.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 17, 2011, 12:02:17 am »

I pop in this thread and you guys are giving elves actual weaponry.

Fortunately, the concept of trees so hardcore they're analogous to metals is way too cool. Is there any way to increase the amount of time it takes to fell them, so as to make harvesting them more time-consuming and dangerous? Could these trees require a special reaction of their own: a process of treating the wood itself? Essentially different "wood alloys" similar to bronze and steel but not quite as potent.

Well I read the account of Wooddipped's fall and it seemed like you needed a little help here and there... as I'm still new to modding reactions what things I can do would be simple but I've got ironbark and bronzewood coded. Currently I'm still running tests and they seem working as intended, at least in the arena. I'm still messing with frequency values so that any time there are maybe 10-12 ironbark trees in a standard 4x4 area of tundra and that no more than 6 bronzewoods show up in their respective zones. This would keep abuse to a minimum hopefully.

On the issue of soap possibly something to do with bee's wax, goldsalve, or a custom "soap" plant may be required. If a way isn't found around this I would suggest adding increased resistance to infection.

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 17, 2011, 10:32:23 am »

While he's doing that we should fix some of the bugs in the elf mod, like the inability to build ballista bolts, the lack of other squads, or that thing with vermin hunting.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18