Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

Author Topic: Wooddipped, an Elven Succession Game!  (Read 21516 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wooddipped, an Elven Succession Game!
« Reply #240 on: February 17, 2011, 01:40:40 pm »

While he's doing that we should fix some of the bugs in the elf mod, like the inability to build ballista bolts, the lack of other squads, or that thing with vermin hunting.

Vermin hunting and squad formation are clear. Ballistas are not, as the reactions necessary were deliberately deleted, but can be added back with ease. Don't ballistas require metal, however?

Question on syndrome wood: could it serve any purpose other than to cause Fun and trouble for players? I'll admit, I'm not particularly appealed to by the idea of sending the elves to cut down a tree, only to have someone's hands fall off, nor to spend half an hour preparing to embark somewhere only to find that 50% of the wood there is from said trees. It's cute, but it sound really troublesome and counter-intuitive, unless there is some reward for dealing with it- for example, is it possible to treat the wood so that it no longer affects elves, allowing us to make "poison trap" tiles, or syndrome-swords?
的 am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 17, 2011, 02:34:16 pm »

While he's doing that we should fix some of the bugs in the elf mod, like the inability to build ballista bolts, the lack of other squads, or that thing with vermin hunting.

Vermin hunting and squad formation are clear. Ballistas are not, as the reactions necessary were deliberately deleted, but can be added back with ease. Don't ballistas require metal, however?

Question on syndrome wood: could it serve any purpose other than to cause Fun and trouble for players? I'll admit, I'm not particularly appealed to by the idea of sending the elves to cut down a tree, only to have someone's hands fall off, nor to spend half an hour preparing to embark somewhere only to find that 50% of the wood there is from said trees. It's cute, but it sound really troublesome and counter-intuitive, unless there is some reward for dealing with it- for example, is it possible to treat the wood so that it no longer affects elves, allowing us to make "poison trap" tiles, or syndrome-swords?

Ironbark and bronzewood can be used as siege components/ ammo due to the inclusion of the [ITEMS_SIEGE_ENGINE] token. That should solve the ballista issue.

The syndrome wood only grows in swamps and evil areas so interactions with it should be limited. Like the "metal" trees I'm messing with the frequency to prevent having a whole forest of them. At most there would be around 5-6 of the less toxic one and 3-4 of the really nasty one. The reward itself is that, provided you're wearing gauntlets/gloves, you have a "poisoned" weapon/arrow that will inconvenience something... like a goblin. The syndrome wood also provides situations for interesting non-weapon traps; a poison bridge perhaps?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 17, 2011, 02:38:31 pm »

you could also give elves a specific immunity to it.
Nom nom nom

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 17, 2011, 02:48:49 pm »

you could also give elves a specific immunity to it.

I like this idea, at least for a personal game, which sounds easy enough to do. The way Black_Legion has in mind makes things a little trickier, which could be nice for a succession game, and yeah, artifact beds.
的 am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 18, 2011, 12:12:41 am »

Good News Everyone! Ironbark and bronzewood work as intended, a steel clad dwarf is still a bearded engine of destruction but elves may have now be able to hold their own.

I ran several tests in the arena and a bronzewood clad elf is a match for around 2 -3 goblins in full iron. The elf was stuck down but dismembered one, exsanguinated the second, and severely maimed the third goblin before bleeding out due to a missing foot and arm. I'm running the final squad vs. squad test and a few horde tests that should confirm the materials effectiveness. The syndrome wood is still being worked on but I'll finish later tonight and then tomorrow I'll move onto the embark and reaction tests.

Currently no refinement is needed for the "metal" woods and I'm still trying to balance the harden wood reaction that produces copper level material... The problem is allowing for it to be useful and relatively abundant but not making it so that you can churn out a enough to pave the entire embark. Since no fuel will be required due to "fluff" reasons I could make a special shrub that is used like coke in the iron -> steel reaction. I'm also considering it to take from 2-3 logs if this reaction isn't used. Any thoughts?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 18, 2011, 02:30:43 am »

Good News Everyone! Ironbark and bronzewood work as intended, a steel clad dwarf is still a bearded engine of destruction but elves may have now be able to hold their own.

I ran several tests in the arena and a bronzewood clad elf is a match for around 2 -3 goblins in full iron. The elf was stuck down but dismembered one, exsanguinated the second, and severely maimed the third goblin before bleeding out due to a missing foot and arm. I'm running the final squad vs. squad test and a few horde tests that should confirm the materials effectiveness. The syndrome wood is still being worked on but I'll finish later tonight and then tomorrow I'll move onto the embark and reaction tests.

Currently no refinement is needed for the "metal" woods and I'm still trying to balance the harden wood reaction that produces copper level material... The problem is allowing for it to be useful and relatively abundant but not making it so that you can churn out a enough to pave the entire embark. Since no fuel will be required due to "fluff" reasons I could make a special shrub that is used like coke in the iron -> steel reaction. I'm also considering it to take from 2-3 logs if this reaction isn't used. Any thoughts?

Music to my eyes!

As for my thoughts on the matter:

Consider that, given neither are renewable resources, iron and coal deposits are usually found in moderate to great amounts on any favorable embark site (which is a forest to an elf player), and that finding a new vein is relatively easy, uncomplicated, and far less time-consuming than waiting years for trees to regrow, at which point the glade may be undergoing a constant barrage of ambushes and sieges. Thus, the amount of these trees on a typical forested embark or the material produced from these by a reaction should be enough to outfit a standard DF army (20-30 units.)

By that mark, I am all for the requisite of other materials. Since the elves are hardening wood, some sort of fluid would make the most sense (can anyone think of anything in particular?). I do like the idea of a special bush or shrub that produces some sort of oil for the process. Perhaps these bushes could yield nuts, which could then be pressed into oil at a Farmer's Workshop? If that is too difficult or not worthwhile, the basic idea works just as well.

EDIT: Can we call them Hardnuts?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 02:35:51 am by Ibid Straydrink »

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 18, 2011, 11:00:32 pm »

Hard Nuts seems a fine enough name, I think for the alcohol I'll make it "Ogre Brew". Since copper is ubiquitous I think the reaction should require 2 logs (A limited impact if you embark with at least moderate woods) or 3 logs with one hardening essence which would produce 2 Urists of "hardened wood" giving a net gain of 1. Hardening could be done at a farmer's workshop, craft's workshop, or carpenter's. A craft's shop seems most appropriate.

The syndrome wood seems to be impossible as materials so not seem to impart its effects with armor or weapons. I ran several tests to see if puncturing a target would work but that seems not to be the case... this may be because I could not get a weapon "stuck in". I'm checking the forums but if anyone knows of a good place to look I'd appreciate it a link.

I had to tweak some of the densities of the materials as I had them originally at 20% of their equivalent metals density. Since a weapons cutting and piercing power is based on this variable making it less dense to better represent a woody material proved counter intuitive... even bronzewood was 600 units less dense than iron. This has been fixed.

I'm almost done with most of the other components so I'll post everything tomorrow or Sunday.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 19, 2011, 08:22:53 am »

This is really cool. The added density will make those woods less desirable for furniture/bins as well. I mean, who but the magma-happy in a Dwarf fortress makes metal bins?

A thought: if you want an Elven "steel" analogue, something costly to make but powerful, make it so that ironwood requires a complex reaction to create "Witchwood." The recipe could be something like:

3 units of the nut oil
2 units of ironwood
1 unit of raw glass
1 cut gem

The glass/gems, conceptually, are the requirement of "crystalline dust" for Elf mumbo-jumbo hoodoo magical wood treating. But in effect, this forces Elves to trade for the required goods to make something normally unattainable for them: steel-equivalent materials.

Or I guess they could just . . . trade for steel bars. But reaaaaaaaactioooooooons.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 08:26:14 am by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 04, 2011, 01:28:58 pm »

Any news on the mod?

bowie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 06, 2011, 06:48:54 am »

Must... Eat... Demon... Rat ARGLEBLARGH *crash* OMNOMNOMNOM
Tastes.. like... SAAAAATAAAAAAAAN!

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 07, 2011, 12:20:52 am »

I'm still working on it. Everything but the hardened wood reaction is working as intended. The problem is until recently I encountered a weird error where any download was seemingly corrupted and thus made access to the newest version, which is required to test the hard nut reaction, impossible. I've fixed that issue (hint: repair disk is you friend) but I'm currentl on spring break in the wilderness and I don't have a laptop... thus any further testing may have to wait till Saturday when I can access my laptop... I really should have brought it with me now that I think about it.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 08, 2011, 04:13:51 pm »

If it makes the task any less difficult, I wouldn't worry about even making it 31.19 compatible. Aside from honey bees, which is currently asking for an instant siege, I am not sure it has anything to offer Wooddipped 2 over 31.18.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:49:26 pm by Ibid Straydrink »

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 08, 2011, 10:25:07 pm »

I, for one, am interested in seeing Wooddipped 2. I'd even debase myself in asking to be elf'd.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 08, 2011, 10:41:33 pm »

I, for one, am interested in seeing Wooddipped 2. I'd even debase myself in asking to be elf'd.

I hear you. Once we see what Black legion was able to do with the reactions, I intend to clean up my mod and open another thread.

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 24, 2011, 09:39:43 pm »

Sorry for the lack of updates, unfortunately I'm still trying to figure out the nut and hardening reactions and due to my classes I have not had much time to properly test and experiment with them. I'll post the feywoods I've completed, they seem to work as intended but I had a hard time getting the syndrome wood to have the correct effects.

plant_feywood
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

/**
* Note: Currently Toadwort, one of the syndrome woods has a syndrome FAR more lethal than it should be. This was for testing purposes
*/
material_template_feywood

/**
* Note: Current reactions are untested and thus may either crash or have other unintended effects
*/
reaction_feywood
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18