Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Wooddipped, an Elven Succession Game!  (Read 21518 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wooddipped, an Elven Succession Game!
« on: December 28, 2010, 12:56:02 pm »

A band of seven silhouettes moves silently over the hills along the horizon of the setting sun. Their backs are turned to the smokey-grained sky, their heads bowed, never looking back.

It is the year 2011 of the last age, the final year of an long era that humans will struggle to recall in times to come as the Age of Myth. Gone and forgotten is the age of the hydra and the hill giant. The terrible titans who once shook the earth and tore the seas asunder have sunken at last into the sands of time, leaving in their wake little more than tales for children in the lofty mountainhomes and crowded cobbled squares of the world.

As the old world wanes, another shadow sweeps over the realm. Goblins issue relentlessly over the lands once held dear, brandishing torch and steel, and there are none who can stave the tide of fire now. Caught in their games of political intrigue, even the noblest hearts of mountain kings have grown cold and corrupt, and  blind to the fact that they too will share our fate. Meanwhile, the children of man paint the deserts and plains red with the blood of their brothers. The shadow  of war is consuming this land.

These are the last days of the last of our  kin, the final hours of the Elves. We have sat patient and listened as She
whispered Her prophecies on the wind, and we know all too well their significance... and yet, with that cool breeze She also whispered words of hope. This we do not understand, for She has shown us everything as it is, and yet we do not see that of which She speaks... but we struggle, mustering all the faith we may, to belief that in the leagues beyond Her words, it awaits us at last, a land to call our own once more, a land to call... Wooddipped.

Welcome to Wooddipped, an Elven Succession game!

Dwarf Fortress .31.18 (Vanilla)
4x4 to 5x5 map size
Begins Jan. 1st!!!

What is Wooddipped?

Wooddipped is going to be a modified game of "Elf Fortress." I have made a few simple editions to the raws to make elves not only controllable, but relatively useful too. Several skills have been enabled which allow elves to behave more like your classic idiot dwarf, such as woodcutting and carpentry, though they still lack the more sophisticated abilities like metalsmithing and masonry. I did it this way because I wanted to portray them as a pastoral, tribal people rather than as a syndicate of modern eco terrorists masquerading as druids. That, and to make them more enjoyable to play.

Game Rules:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Special Notes
- It seems that it  is not possible to enable labors that are not elf defaults in dwarf fortress alone. In order to manage labors, players will need the latest copy of Dwarf Therapist.
- Foxes have been tagged to hunt vermin. They are the elven equivalent improvement of cats.
- The population cap is/should be set to 50, and the child cap to 10. This is to keep FPS optimal and simulate a small band of nomadic folk.
- Elves now view killing animals and plants as acceptable. We do what we must to survive and serve Her!
- Elves are NO LONGER AT PEACE WITH ANIMALS. Considering their situation, it's not as though this was a horribly overpowered trait... but I thought it would be extremely boring for most players. Anyone is welcome to call up a vote to change it back.
- Bows of elven manufacture receive an automatic boost in quality. If you didn't know. Like, in case you've never read or watched anything related to anything medieval fantasy whatsoever.

Turn Order Roster:

List of Elven Skills:

List of Tribal Council Positions

Feel free to make suggestions, or ask any questions that you may have!

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 12:22:52 pm by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wooddipped, an Elven Succession Game!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 02:37:59 pm »

I'm in for year one or two of this, and also to say that, I think the chief doctor should be called witch doctor, or maybe Herb master or some such, since having a combined mayor and doctor seems a bit... odd, since the mayor would be more a Chief or Elder, where as a doctor would be more a witch, spirit man, ect.
Nom nom nom

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 04:07:59 pm »

Yeah, you should make up some more appropriate noble titles. They seem too dwarfy, with too little elfy.
I may be interested in joining, if the game starts in the new year.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 05:43:58 pm »

Will goblins bring sieges with such a low pop cap?
Will playing as elves make gobbos butcherable?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 06:18:21 pm »

good point. Can I be the cook/herbalist?
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 08:29:14 pm »

I'd like to play a year as well.  Will graphic packs be an issue for my post?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 01:13:16 am »

I'm in for year one or two of this, and also to say that, I think the chief doctor should be called witch doctor, or maybe Herb master or some such, since having a combined mayor and doctor seems a bit... odd, since the mayor would be more a Chief or Elder, where as a doctor would be more a witch, spirit man, ect.

Updated! What do you think of this?

Guide (Expedition Leader) - The blessed elf who first heard Her whispers on the wind, our Guide has been entrusted to lead us to the promised land.

Elder (Mayor) - We convene at the beginning of each year to decide who preside as Elder of the clan. The one who is chosen offers their wisdom and insight to interpret the meaning of the many signs She gives us and guide our people through these troubled times.
- Chosen when population first reaches 40.
- Requires a bedroom of the same quality a mayor would.
- Is exempted from menial labor.

Keeper (Sheriff, Manager) The Keeper must be a firm but compassionate person, for their duty is to look after the well-being of his or her fellow clansfolk, and should it ever be necessary by ill fate's decree, distribute punishment to those who are guilty of transgression.
- Requires a modest bedroom.

Tradesman (Broker, Record Keeper) It is the Tradesman who has the responsibility to keep track of our precious stores, and who is permitted to trade with outsiders.

Healer (Chief Medical Person) Our Healer keeps the knowledge of which things have mystical properties, and calls upon them to mend both flesh and bone.
- Requires a modest bedroom.

Guardian - (Militia Commander) The Guardian is a seasoned or promising aspirant warrior, sworn to protect the clan from harm as he leads us against the darkness.

Scout Captain - (Militia Squad Leader) A scout captain is a hunter or warrior chosen to lead his fellow elves into battle.

Whisperer (Dungeon Master) - One who is born with the gift to speak so softly that their words can soothe the most savage beasts.
- Appointed by Mayor when population reaches 50.
- Requires modest bedroom.

NOTE: Elven "nobles" will never make mandates or demands.

Will goblins bring sieges with such a low pop cap?
Will playing as elves make gobbos butcherable?

I have edited the entity_defaults so that sieges will occur with a population of 50. To my knowledge, this means that the first time the tribe's population reaches 50, we will be open to attack, regardless of whether or not our numbers dwindle. There is still the default wealth requirement, however, which gives us some time to prepare.

As for goblins, because they are sentient elves still won't make trophies of them. Loot their bodies for metal weapons and leave them for our four-legged cousins.  ;)

good point. Can I be the cook/herbalist?

You sure can.

I'd like to play a year as well.  Will graphic packs be an issue for my post?

I am actually not sure, but I will check on the Little Questions thread. I use Synergy .31.18, (http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2983) which is a combination of Ironhand's and Phoebus' graphics packs/tilesets, among others. As an alternative, provided that you are willing and have the extra space on your hard drive, I could always just upload the whole compressed DF folder, which you could open with a utility like Winrar or Winzip and copy.

Everyone who requested it has been added to the Turn Order Roster. I've also added Di and Newsmuffin to the lineup because I wasn't sure if they wanted to play, and didn't want them to lose their place if so.

Now is the time to discuss preferred "nobility" (let's call them "tribal council"?) positions, skills, items, names and gender. Be as involved as you like! I will note that without all the superfluous crap dwarves get saddled with, we begin with a pot of about 800 spare embark points, meaning that it shouldn't be much of a stretch to let everyone have the maximum number of skills/Proficiency. We could even bring along some useless vermin for pets. Or a grizzly bear.  :D

Finally, try to envision the many challenges that lay ahead- we lack the ability to grow our food, so holing up in a palisade on the side of a hill is hardly an option. Our starting weapons are made of wood. We can't even use drawbridges or channel magma or water until we get some picks, so we will have to make use of the natural advantages and disadvantages of our region. Furthermore, even in a forest biome wood (our only building material) is far less abundant than stone. It will take all of courage, cunning, strength and Her very favor to survive should the shadows find us.

With this in mind, it may be wise to begin with at least a couple of dwarves elves skilled in combat (hunters at least, are a good start) and to manage resources carefully, lest we have more Fun than we can handle.

World map will be up shortly! :)

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 02:49:35 am by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 01:56:09 am »

Yeah, third should be good for me.
Hmm, I'll be the Healer, if no one objects.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 02:00:30 am »

Yeah, third should be good for me.
Hmm, I'll be the Healer, if no one objects.

Great! Any preference for skills?

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 02:13:57 am »

Well, at least level 2 in all of the medical skills except for surgeon. Surgeon only goes to level one. If I have points left over, advance diagnostician and wound dressing to level 3.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 05:47:08 am »

I've also added Di and Newsmuffin to the lineup because I wasn't sure if they wanted to play, and didn't want them to lose their place if so.
Um, thanks but I doubt I'll have time for participating due to finals. But I really like the idea.
On the side note, have you mastered archery training or elves will be forced to poke goblins first goblins with wooden sticks?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 06:13:38 am »

Sorry to hear you won't be able to join us. If the slot doesn't fill up, we could always add you to the end of the queue.

Um, thanks but I doubt I'll have time for participating due to finals. But I really like the idea.
On the side note, have you mastered archery training or elves will be forced to poke goblins first goblins with wooden sticks?

Oh, but I'm not sure what you mean there.  :-[ Elves can wield and craft bows and arrows just fine, and our hunter(s) will probably start out with proficient Bowmanship. Since Bowman have been known to run after things and attempt to bludgeon them to death (is that what you meant?), I'm rather fond of the idea of building ourselves some fortifications and maybe watch towers early on and keeping behind those walls. Hopefully, we'll have collected a good amount of metal weapons by the time the first ambush rolls around.

Oh, by the way, it seems that you were spot-on. Elves can eat other sentients, and I am leaving it that way. We'll call it a ritual thing.

On that note, I've updated the rules on mining, skills (added threshing), and notes. Not much has changed, and I am piecing together the finishing touches right now.

I did want to mention something very important, however. Even though I have them enabled, several of the new labors cannot be changed through labor preferences in the DF client itself. In order to assign elves to most of their new occupations, you will need a copy of the latest version of Dwarf Therapist.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 08:27:42 am by Ibid Straydrink »

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 09:27:50 am »

Did you add the new jobs post-worldgen?
I'm pretty sure changes to the entity raws don't take effect until you gen a new world.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 01:06:03 pm »

I like those positions alot.  Makes it seem far more elvish.  Oh and could I get some type of military leader, bowsman for my man?   Hunter maybe for the embark group, then when it's my turn I'll set up military.
Nom nom nom

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 11:20:32 pm »

NOTE: Elven "nobles" will never make mandates or demands.

no mandates or demands.

... There is no huzzah big enough to express my wonderment at this.

With that said, would you mind naming an elf after me? Preferably a butcher and/or bone carver. I'd like to take a turn, but, what with college and all, I really doubt I'd have the time.
V :-\ V
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18