Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: New Sims game, I'm scared...  (Read 14667 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Sims game, I'm scared...
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2011, 09:47:50 pm »

Good counterpoint!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2011, 09:52:35 pm »

Let him alone, it's his money...if he enjoys it, it'll be worth it.

Take care,

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2011, 10:28:03 pm »

Can't wait.. only few days before I get my copy of the limited edition..

30 bucks more for a fancier box?

And 3 unique throne room themes.
And some unique clothes..
just take a look..

http://compsimgames.about.com/od/The_Sims_Medieval/ig/Sims-Medieval-Bonus-Content/

The dark wizard and barbarian throne rooms..  :o
Hate to make you sad but I got that bonus content in my normal edition. ^.^

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2011, 06:25:05 am »

Its a fun enough game, nothing particularily impressive so far.
Like the rest of the Sims franchise, the computer gaming equivalent of elevator music :)

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2011, 07:36:13 am »

I love it because it is exactly what I thought it would be: fun and shallow. I just hope it does well enough so there is motivation to make stuff packs or add-ons, or maybe a full expansion.

Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2011, 08:52:20 am »

Agreed, it does not have any complexity or deep ideas, it's more like "Sims: Adventures". I could only complain about small areas for furniture, you can barely put anything in the rooms. Otherwise it has quests plus all the other Sims had: needs, mood, lots of grinding for "relations" and lots of stupid kisses, men jumping on women's arms and sex under a blanket.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2011, 09:05:14 am »

For anyone curious about its length, I am at least 12 hours in and only just now getting to the 'end' of the first 'chapter' of the game.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2011, 10:31:58 am »

For anyone curious about its length, I am at least 12 hours in and only just now getting to the 'end' of the first 'chapter' of the game.

Yes, it seems to be either a very long game or possibly there's a very abrupt ending in store for me.
Do you actually get to play any other "heroes" than the monarch?
And why is the monarch called Lord and not King?
I want my monarch to be KING of Evilania, not just some silly lord.

King Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2011, 10:40:47 am »

I had a try out of my girlfriends copy and it does seem to take a decent amount of time to do each quest even if you speed through. I imagine if you actually read the notes/ conversations or dare I say it try and role play there is ALLOT of hours you can get out of this. I fully expect my girlfriend never to finish it.

It does need the option to go into free mode untill you feel like doing a quest and god damn these daily tasks are annoying after awhile...

But i have to say even though it might not be my thing for what it is, it's great very nice idea and really polished.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2011, 11:03:31 am »

Yes, it seems to be either a very long game or possibly there's a very abrupt ending in store for me.
Do you actually get to play any other "heroes" than the monarch?
And why is the monarch called Lord and not King?
I want my monarch to be KING of Evilania, not just some silly lord.
Each quest will use different people in the kingdom. Right now I'm working with my priest and blacksmith to end a deadly blight of dire chinchillas.

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2011, 12:52:49 pm »

So ok, I've been playing now for quite a while, I've "unlocked" a number of structures and adding my sims to them, in turn "unlocking" more quests for each sim and or multiple.  I have decided I do enjoy the game, quite a bit actually, but there is still one thing that really annoys me, the quest system.

Now it's not that there are quests, this is a nice addition and really seems to be the main theme and focus of Medieval.  What I do not like is the structure, or how the quest system actually works...this is in part because there is no real "free play" mode.

The system works as such - You select a quest, pick which sim or sims you want to be involved in this quest, then control the main sim.  In reality, quests are really nothing more than acts to a play, and what your doing is picking which actors take part in said act.  For example, there is a Wedding quest (I have not played it yet)...there are 3 different plots to this "quest" or act.  You pick one, secret love, elope and another, then pick the bride/groom, their betrothed, best man and what not.  You then take control of the lead character/sim and play out the quest/act.  Done.

What they should have done is reworked the order, or added in another option...this being, select the character/sim first, then either choose to play a quest/act or go into a free play mode, with the option of choosing a quest/act based on your current character/sim, at any time.  If there are no currently unlocked quests/acts for said character/sim, fine, free play it is, for as long as you want, or change to a different character/sim.

Basically, I do not like being forced into playing a specific sim...if I want to play my fun loving, friendly, sex crazed priest (Father Phelonious) for days on end, I should be able to.

Take care,

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2011, 01:15:06 pm »

I tend to have to slow down a lot during the quests.
Else I can't ever get the platinum reward.

Also it's annoying that you have to start over in the next book.

On a different note, does anyone know how to give a Royal audience? I need to give one to a master chef from that food island place.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The npc I need to give a royal audience to is nowhere to be found. I can find a royal audience option anywhere as well.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2011, 01:40:09 pm »

This game sounds promising to me but I lack free time to spend on more games. What I wonder is, would it not be possible to mod in quests that have nigh unlimited time limits and a wide selection of different sims to take them on? The Sims 3 modding community did a lot of unexpected things, and I wouldn't be surprised if 'free play' was practically modded in.

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2011, 02:08:58 pm »

I was just reading on modthesims.com about mods and what not.

Firstly, here is a no intro mod.  http://mod.gib.me/thesimsmedieval/nointro.zip  (works great)
And for you adults out there, here is a no mosaic mod.  http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20082.0;attach=13583 (also works great)

Note about using these two mods together - If you do use them both, only copy over the Resource.cfg file from the No Mosaic mod.  The no mosaic mod changes the same things as the no intro, plus extra changes needed for itself.

(I'm using Windows 7)
Note on mods for Medieval - You must add a mods folder to the install folder, not the my documents folder.
Path should be as such...\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims Medieval\Mods

There is also promising news about editing and adding quests.  One of the modders added a blank quest as a test, he did not change anything else in game.  Very promising.

Another thing you may be interested in.  If you do not mind cheats (I normally do not use them) you can access a "Free Time" quest that allows you to play as any sim, for as long as you want, with no quests goals to complete and the ability to switch sims during the quest itself.

You will need to make one edit to one file.  Browse to...\Electronic Arts\The Sims Medieval\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Ini
Take Ownership (if you do not know how to did this, google it) of the Commands file.
Double click to open the Commands file.
Change TestingCheatsEnabled=0 to TestingCheatsEnabled=1
Close and save.
In game and at the Kingdom view, hit ctrl + shitf + c, type in showallquests and hit enter.
Click on quests icon, "Free Time" quest should show up near the top of the list.

Take care,
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:49:17 pm by diamok »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2011, 02:22:14 pm »

Better and better.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11