Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: New Sims game, I'm scared...  (Read 14666 times)

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Sims game, I'm scared...
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2011, 08:58:42 am »

I've played a bit here and there of this game and must say...well, first, I am a big fan of the series and have enjoyed playing/modding all of them.

Now, with that said I was very excited when I read about Medieval, always thought the Sims format would translate well to an RPG, but my biggest complaint is this whole "quest" concept.  Yes, they are neat, you have objectives you must perform in order to complete the quest, which is pretty cool, some quests can only be performed by certain "Heroes" (Heroes are your created sims you assign to positions though out your kingdom).  So, if the quest is something like, "Expand the Kingdom", then your King/Queen sim is the only one that can take on this quest.  Again, this can be pretty fun, the bad thing is, I've played for near 8 hours now and have only had quests available for my King/Queen...even though I took all the time to create sims for other positions in the kingdom.

Another feature about the quests I do not like, when you complete one, that's it, the game gives you a summery of the quest, your performance and then bam, your at the kingdom view where you can "build" (this is pretty much pick what building you want and there it is) new structures or take on a new quest.  Gone are the days of "open ended" sims play, which for me was the big draw, I loved being able to start a new town, create a bunch of sims, then take on the role of one of them and live his/her life.

The game actually feels more RTS like to me now, you've got to plan out your interactions a lot more...if you want your King/Queen and the bard to hook up, you'll have to plan your time out rather quickly...see, you rarely get "down time" when doing quests (and as I said, there doesn't seem to be any open play), which wouldn't be all that bad, except somethings have a time limit, if you do not complete a goal (not the in game term, can't remember it) you lose motivation, motivation is everything in Medieval, where as in say Sims 3, if you wanted to boost your spirits, you could complete one of your sims wishes, or needs (whatever it was called, haven't played in over a year), but you weren't required to per se.

Any how, I'm still really early in the game, it plays great, looks great, though I did notice a modeling issue where the neck and body come together, you can see the seem, but over all, it's a good game.

Take care,

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2011, 11:03:41 am »

My queen spends an awful lot of time walking and everything takes awhile to get to. Am I a queen or a flippin' peasant?!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2011, 11:21:59 am »

My queen spends an awful lot of time walking and everything takes awhile to get to. Am I a queen or a flippin' peasant?!

It is the Sims... your a peasant.

Only NPCs are allowed to actually be important.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2011, 01:37:56 pm »

I was actually very impressed with Sims 3 and Sims World Adventures. World Adventures was actually quite like a RPG. I think this Medieval could be impressive. If it has the same designers as Sims 3 and the producers don't meddle, I'm looking forward to this.

World Adventures was fun, but it was also horrifically imbalanced.  And while yeah it was actually pretty neat doing the wine thing and collecting stuff, it still needed more dungeons, it would have been super sweet if it was useful to bring more than one person into the dungeons at once...  and well, there's the incense.  Each country has its own incense that gives +20/+25/+30 or something to your mood when you're in the same room.  They never run out and they stack with each other.  Put all three in a room, and your outdoors lover who hates being alone will happily sit in a corner all day and be blissed out of their fucking mind for the rest of their life, with no downsides.

I dunno.  I really wanted a Sims: Hard Mode, without having to do all kinds of absurd self-challenges.  The world desperately needs an open-source Sims project (someone has to be working on it; I bet there's projects already).  Mainly because some of the expansions that I think would be hilarious will never, ever see the light of day.  (The Sims: Lovin' God.  Went to church on Sunday?  +5 mood for the week.  Have a Want to indoctrinate your kids.  Get in arguments with your neighbors!  Get a job and go door-to-door, and eventually get promoted to priest, bishop and Pope!)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2011, 02:05:50 pm »

I personally kinda like this game buuuut and it's a big but, they need to have a free mode or GTFO. It would have been much better if there was more to the resources and such as well.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2011, 04:07:24 pm »

I was actually very impressed with Sims 3 and Sims World Adventures. World Adventures was actually quite like a RPG. I think this Medieval could be impressive. If it has the same designers as Sims 3 and the producers don't meddle, I'm looking forward to this.

World Adventures was fun, but it was also horrifically imbalanced.  And while yeah it was actually pretty neat doing the wine thing and collecting stuff, it still needed more dungeons, it would have been super sweet if it was useful to bring more than one person into the dungeons at once...  and well, there's the incense.  Each country has its own incense that gives +20/+25/+30 or something to your mood when you're in the same room.  They never run out and they stack with each other.  Put all three in a room, and your outdoors lover who hates being alone will happily sit in a corner all day and be blissed out of their fucking mind for the rest of their life, with no downsides.

I dunno.  I really wanted a Sims: Hard Mode, without having to do all kinds of absurd self-challenges.  The world desperately needs an open-source Sims project (someone has to be working on it; I bet there's projects already).  Mainly because some of the expansions that I think would be hilarious will never, ever see the light of day.  (The Sims: Lovin' God.  Went to church on Sunday?  +5 mood for the week.  Have a Want to indoctrinate your kids.  Get in arguments with your neighbors!  Get a job and go door-to-door, and eventually get promoted to priest, bishop and Pope!)
I've always wanted an expansion to introduce diseases. Annoyed at vomiting on a whim? Well now it's explained! Contract food poisoning from that shitty food, puke, feel like shit, and maybe even have the privilege of going to the hospital. Have a cold, have the flu! Going on a campaign to impregnate every woman in the town to spread your genes? Contract one or more of 10 different simulated stds! Don't like someone? Serve diseased/poisoned meals at a dinner party! Embark on a new career track, bio-chemical research. Spearhead new cures for new diseases, or mass produce pandemic-style plagues to wipe out as much of your city as possible.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2011, 06:33:55 pm »

Spearhead new cures for new diseases, or mass produce pandemic-style plagues to wipe out as much of your city as possible.

Kill a hero in medieval times and use another hero to dump their plague infested body in the town well.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2011, 08:07:12 pm »

World Adventures was fun, but it was also horrifically imbalanced.  And while yeah it was actually pretty neat doing the wine thing and collecting stuff, it still needed more dungeons, it would have been super sweet if it was useful to bring more than one person into the dungeons at once...  and well, there's the incense.  Each country has its own incense that gives +20/+25/+30 or something to your mood when you're in the same room.

Is anyone else kind of disappointed about stuff like this, feeling like it completely detracts from The Sims' ostensible purpose as a social/time-management simulation game? Granted, TS3 in general is a bit less simulationist, but that's disappointing. I wish they would improve upon the AI such that you didn't have to babysit sims constantly, and could allow them to engage in more natural social interaction, not piss themselves, etc. I would love to play that kind of game, but it's moving away from that, if anything.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2011, 08:19:45 pm »

Yeah, plus the whole "I'm going to go pick up shiny rocks for a living" thing...

I'd really be much happier focusing on their personalities and time management and how it impacts their everyday lives.  I'd say that my absolute favorite of all the Sims games was the University expansion to Sims 2 actually...complex social environment, lots of things to screw around with without it being imbalancing, forced progression that didn't make you feel terrible if you slacked off (but felt rewarding if you did real good)...But most importantly, it had a real GOAL.  Pass your classes.  Work hard, cheat, sleep with teachers if you must, but pass your classes.  All the other cool stuff you could do on the side was just that:  cool stuff.  Try to get into a fraternity if you want, or try and find the ideal mate so you can get hitched straight out of school, whatever.  And you can't really get super-rich and imbalance everything...you're largely on an even playing field.  Just one sim, not tons of cash, you probably won't have a massive-screen TV and the best bed in the world.  It's balanced!

In a way, I think University must be close to what this game is like, except done better from the sound of it.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2011, 08:29:20 pm »

@ Sowelu - University was 10 times better.  This latest incarnation feels forced, along with you being forced to play specific sims and has lost the create a sim, it's life and history your way aspect.  With the first 3 (+expansions) you did just that, create a history, this one seems to have it all preplanned, your just following along with the story.  No!!!  I don't want to be the King right now, I don't want to have to talk to my adviser, no no no, stop it...wait, I just lost a shit load of moral because I wanted to go to the tavern and hang out with the hot bard instead of passing an edict?!  Screw this...maybe there's something remotely entertaining on TV.

Take care,

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2011, 08:31:36 pm »

Can't wait.. only few days before I get my copy of the limited edition..
Then again.. I might have to wait till next week.  :(

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2011, 08:48:03 pm »

30 bucks more for a fancier box?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2011, 08:49:09 pm »

30 bucks more for a fancier box?

And 3 unique throne room themes.
And some unique clothes..
just take a look..

http://compsimgames.about.com/od/The_Sims_Medieval/ig/Sims-Medieval-Bonus-Content/

The dark wizard and barbarian throne rooms..  :o
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 08:52:33 pm by Ultimuh »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2011, 09:40:47 pm »

So you're paying half the price of a normal modern game for... a few pieces of additional content they probably threw together over the course of a weekend.

Your financial skills are surpassed by none.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2011, 09:46:31 pm »

Say what you want, I am rooting for this.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11