Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: New Sims game, I'm scared...  (Read 14662 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: New Sims game, I'm scared...
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2011, 05:53:18 pm »

I think they must have had an agreement to give it high marks.

This also confuses me:
The Sims Medieval is a realization of simulation fantasy that goes beyond what most medieval military strategy games achieve -- but it loses some of that classic Sims appeal along the way.

The review didn't really say anything at all about what makes the game 'go beyond' what medieval strategy games achieve. It didn't mention medieval strategy at all, let alone go into any details. So far all I hear is that is has quests and basically pre-set characters?

I dunno. Sounds more like an odd RPG than a sims game. Doesn't sound very strategy-ish at all.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2011, 05:54:46 pm »

Why did that review do nothing but moan then give the game 4/5 stars? I am confused.

I used to do reviews like that.

The quality of a game is in dirrect co-relation to its lack of flaws.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2011, 05:56:35 pm »

I think this is a good example of using a game's reputation to sell something.

This game is not the Sims.
It's some kind of odd quest driven RPG where you play generic archetypes and buy furniture.

There is nothing in this that makes me think of strategy or the Sims.

I also watched the videos where some woman was talking about the features of the game. She kept referring to "Storytelling", which, at the time, I thought was some kind of new feature. When I found out she was just talking about how you can "imagine" a story along to your generic archetype instead of the game giving one for you, I lost all hope in this being a good game.

It's just a barebones super stripped down quest RPG with the Sims as a title to excuse it of any responsibility to give you a story.

This is the Sims just as much as Dungeons is Dungeon Keeper.

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2011, 07:10:43 pm »

Why did that review do nothing but moan then give the game 4/5 stars? I am confused.
Bribe money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2011, 07:12:51 pm »

Bribe money.

It is what I call a Negative Possitive review

It really is a kind of person. If you got me to write these a long time ago that is how I'd review games.

Basically the person tries to find flaws and things that need to be improved off of essentially what would be a perfect game. Then you see how much the game deviates from perfection.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2011, 07:25:31 pm »

sigh

so is the game really crap or a failed attempt to its genre?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2011, 07:42:37 pm »

sigh

so is the game really crap or a failed attempt to its genre?

No.

But depending on who you are it is either blaw or quite fun.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2011, 07:46:19 pm »

Much like the oft-maligned Oblivion.  There's people (like my ex) who will get a huge kick out of it and play it for weeks, nay, months on end.

But, this one seems like its value will be pretty exhausted by the time you're twenty hours in, so...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2011, 07:48:18 pm »

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit actually. I don't know how long that will last, but I consider 20 hours of entertainment a good deal for these types of games and I have gotten far more than that out of Sims previously.

And then I know my girlfriend will love the shit out of it as well, and I don't have to buy her a separate copy so bonus.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2011, 08:16:39 pm »

You can never really tell what people will hate or love.

For example I REALLY want a subscription to Wizardry101 despite it being a kids game for children with some REALLY REALLY bad mechanics thrown in.

My Brother also HATED oblivion until he played it again and ignored the main story. Which is funny because the worst part of oblivion is the main story.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2011, 01:28:10 am »

About the review score: My theory is that most reviewers are uncapable of giving a game that is expected to be quite popular a bad score, unless the game really will let everybody down.  While I personally loath the track that EA took on this game based upon the review only, I imagine many consumers will like it.

There are several reasons why I think this could occur, but I'll leave it to someone with experience in the online reviewing of games to either prove or disprove this theory.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2011, 02:48:15 am »

Besides some rather basic bugs (aka, frame-rate issues and graphical tearing) I'm quite happy with Medieval.  For a game that has gone past controlling a single Sim or a family of Sims to being something like an RPG, I find it enjoyable.  The customization is awesome, and while there may not be as much content, I'm fairly sure they will be releasing either DLC or expansions for it, which would be cool.

The various 'Heroes' (Professions) are interesting, and each of them is unique, and I simply love the look of the game.  I'm not very far into it yet, having only finished my third quest; but good things do come to those who wait.  8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2011, 03:40:30 am »

Although it is admittedly early, I'd like to see someone do a LP of this game, so I can really find out what it is like, the non-piratey way.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2011, 05:11:06 am »

Although it is admittedly early, I'd like to see someone do a LP of this game, so I can really find out what it is like, the non-piratey way.

Ohhhh no you don't... trust me! RUN RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2011, 06:49:19 am »

I was actually very impressed with Sims 3 and Sims World Adventures. World Adventures was actually quite like a RPG. I think this Medieval could be impressive. If it has the same designers as Sims 3 and the producers don't meddle, I'm looking forward to this.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11