Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570194 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #1245 on: March 21, 2011, 06:14:46 pm »

Amnesia isn't too bad of a mental defect. Probably the easiest to work around. Well, Socially Repugnant is easy to work around too, but expensive. Honestly, the physical defects all seem easier to handle then the mental ones.
The hooked feet one is a bad one though: -10MS and unable to wear boots. Being unable to wear boots is fine, but the -10MS REALLY hurts, especially in the early game.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: March 21, 2011, 06:24:43 pm »

I'm still up in the air. What is the best mutant subtype? I've been using Tinker for the lovely INT bonus and the ability to get a free level from handing in your artifacts at the start of the game. But there's so many other good contestants. What do you guys think?

e: fixed
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 06:36:58 pm by freeformschooler »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: March 21, 2011, 06:27:16 pm »

Depends on the type of mutant you're playing, I think. Apostle is great if you're going for a Mental Beguile/Domination sort. I'm having great luck with a Gunslinger right now.

Water Merchant starts with tons of money, but very little in the way of combat skills. Might be good with Beguile, though.

The various tinker-associated ones are pretty cool, but you have to be very careful starting out to really see the benefit from them.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: March 21, 2011, 06:32:48 pm »

It depends. Tinkerer is good even without any other intelligence for the ability to make basic grenades and meds. On a high str/agi/tough character, you can dump intelligence, still break down the basic stuff, and make nice stockpiles of effectively weightless grenades, making as you need em.

I like greybeard for the +3 will, 28 willpower at level 3-4 IIRC is quite nice. Water Merchant is probably nicer then apostle for Ego, the massive amount of starting water is always nice. Nomad is probably best for the toughness seekers, assuming you don't have carapace or quills. As for the rest, mostly decent if they fill your need.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: March 21, 2011, 06:33:15 pm »

...I've been using Warden for the lovely INT bonus...
Warden doesn't have an INT bonus, as far as I know.

...But there's so many other good contestants. What do you guys think?
I'm currently going with a high-ego-int Tinker mutant. Ego for the mental mutation bonuses, int for the extra SP and the ability to... well... tinker. He's doing decently fine, the only problem is that I picked Light Manipulation for my second mental mutation (along with force wall) hoping that it would give me straight damage. Thing is, it doesn't do all that much damage. Still, it allows me to dual-wield the two steel shortswords I got from the merchant in Joppa.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: March 21, 2011, 06:39:38 pm »

Yeah, meant to say Tinker, not Warden. Though I am currently playing Warden for a challenge.

Thanks for the suggestions though that's basically what I've been thinking. Seems mental mutants get an easier run of things.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: March 21, 2011, 06:47:19 pm »

Eh, not necessarily. Physical mutations work great for a lot of mutants. Warden with Night Vision, Extra Arms, Regeneration, Two Hearts, stuff like that. All good stuff, all physical, and quite powerful.

In my experience Mental mutations are great but many of them fail you utterly when things go wrong. Physical mutations are nice and more useful in general situations. A mix of the two is often best.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: March 21, 2011, 06:54:06 pm »

I'm currently going with a high-ego-int Tinker mutant. Ego for the mental mutation bonuses, int for the extra SP and the ability to... well... tinker. He's doing decently fine, the only problem is that I picked Light Manipulation for my second mental mutation (along with force wall) hoping that it would give me straight damage. Thing is, it doesn't do all that much damage. Still, it allows me to dual-wield the two steel shortswords I got from the merchant in Joppa.
Light Manipulation has very good penetration, and you can fire off 4-5 shots in a row with no cooldown. Once you've got yourself 2-3 more levels of it, it gets a lot more punch. Just don't expect to one shot things like you do with disintegration or sunder mind.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: March 21, 2011, 07:01:20 pm »

In my experience Mental mutations are great but many of them fail you utterly when things go wrong. Physical mutations are nice and more useful in general situations. A mix of the two is often best.
Agreed. Going completely Mental leaves you vulnerable to anyone that gets past your attacks. Going completely physical leaves you without any real punch.

Light Manipulation has very good penetration, and you can fire off 4-5 shots in a row with no cooldown. Once you've got yourself 2-3 more levels of it, it gets a lot more punch.
I've got a laser rifle now. I don't expect to be using it anymore. Oh, and the light shots have very bad downside: It leaves you blind in the underground! You won't be able to see your target in a short while, let alone any possible flankers.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: March 21, 2011, 10:55:56 pm »

Or you could play a true man Praetorian and beat the living shit out of everything that gets close to you. I honestly stopped liking playing mutants after like, the fortieth death.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: March 21, 2011, 11:14:42 pm »

Yeah, True Humans are indeed powerful in sheer stats. However, they just don't have the same... "flavor" as mutants if you will. Also, some mutant builds have the chance to be truly terrifying. Moreso than True Humans can ever become.

Frostbite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: March 22, 2011, 12:01:30 am »

Is it me or is the grit gate quest really really hard , I have to go find a wayward droid so i slide down these levels and clear them out and then i get to the bottom floor which is just empty ...

all but for the 100s of enemy's way out of my league, Drill bots, other bots , some kind of acid spitter things , lots of those quillapeed things.. Someone with a mini gun

I have multiple legs leveled and a really fast run speed i cant even find the exit before i get wtfpwn'd (like 10 armor btw)

Yes i tried grenades, Kited them all around into a big cluster ____ and nade spammed the hell out of them and it only killed a few .Lovely hu?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: March 22, 2011, 12:09:25 am »

^
Unfortunately, some of the game's situations are just absurdly unbeatable instead of normal unbeatable, which unormal has told us he's aware of. This is still a beta, after all, not all balancing issues in a game can be ironed out at that stage of development. That said, I don't hold any illusions that CoQ was meant to be anything other than hard as hell to beat. The bottom floor of that area is death trap incarnate, but there has to be some way to survive it (since the quest objective is there), I'm just not sure what that is. EMP Grenade spam, perhaps?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1258 on: March 22, 2011, 12:37:08 am »

Made a few more mutants earlier today, 14 str 18 everything else, tinker, picked up psychometry thinking I'd get a energy wep eventually, and grabbed 3 of the mystery mutations. My first two incarnations got two crappy mutations on the first couple levels, and I wound up giving up on them. My third char got the *exact* mutations as the guy I made yesterday. Different order, but still - pretty whacky. Wound up with force bubble at level 2 before leaving town, regen at level 4, and multiple legs at level 7. I was actually hoping for more offensive mutations like disintegrate, but how can I complain with three 5 pointers thrown at me?

This being the second char with the exact same mutations, I'm really starting to like them. The extra legs makes him move fast enough to outrun stuff, the regen lets me regenerate while fleeing, and the force bubble is a free panic button. I also used the force bubble to get my way into Grit Gate right off the bat before doing any quests, because the glowpad merchant had a grit gate recoiler and my force bubble pushed their force field and door out of the way. Managed to buy a sniper rifle from the grit gate merchant really early on (barely managed the money for it, even after raiding and completely pilfering the rust wells and red rock, had to sell my extra power cells and stuff lol).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: March 22, 2011, 12:47:20 am »

Is it me or is the grit gate quest really really hard , I have to go find a wayward droid so i slide down these levels and clear them out and then i get to the bottom floor which is just empty ...

You're playing the prerelease/unfinished version of Golgotha. It's unfinished :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 12:48:58 am by unormal »
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 250