Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570158 times)

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #1215 on: March 21, 2011, 12:52:25 pm »

Argyve has a data disk for a "corrupt banana".

I am veeeery far from being able to afford it, but I couldnt resist taking it if i had the money. Even over an instaheal injector data disk.

EDIT: Anyone know what a medication autoinjector does?

Medication Autoinjectors are a base object type that shouldn't be buildable. i.e. a dud.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: March 21, 2011, 01:04:03 pm »

So, the best starting data disk ever huh?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: March 21, 2011, 01:04:46 pm »

Hey, unormal, is the copper wire ever going to actually be given to Argyve? Seems a bit odd that you go fetch it for him and he doesn't actually take it.

It'd also be nice if it had some sort of use. Give you some reason to go back there or do something with the extra you pick up.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: March 21, 2011, 01:08:57 pm »

Hey, unormal, is the copper wire ever going to actually be given to Argyve? Seems a bit odd that you go fetch it for him and he doesn't actually take it.

It'd also be nice if it had some sort of use. Give you some reason to go back there or do something with the extra you pick up.

Yeah, I'll make him take it at some point, it's just an :effort: thing.

Frostbite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: March 21, 2011, 01:15:06 pm »

Noooooo!!!! I  had such an awsome guy going.. Was on Grit gate looking around for the quest thing and then i died to a quillipeed and like 4 other things who jumped me , I reloaded but at the thawing zone this happens ThawZone:System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Program Files\Caves of Qud\Saves\48909f52-fdbc-4e4f-8cdd-9fa0c236c88a\ZoneCache\JoppaWorld.11.22.1.1.10.zone'.
File name: 'C:\Program Files\Caves of Qud\Saves\48909f52-fdbc-4e4f-8cdd-9fa0c236c88a\ZoneCache\JoppaWorld.11.22.1.1.10.zone'
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
   at System.IO.File.Open(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
   at XRL.World.ZoneManager.ThawZone(String ZoneID) in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\World\Zones\World.ZoneManager.cs:line 288

And it wont load! keeps poping up too over and over even after i close the program ...

is there a way to fix it or at least save my awsome mutant ?

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: March 21, 2011, 01:32:31 pm »

Noooooo!!!! I  had such an awsome guy going.. Was on Grit gate looking around for the quest thing and then i died to a quillipeed and like 4 other things who jumped me , I reloaded but at the thawing zone this happens ThawZone:System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Program Files\Caves of Qud\Saves\48909f52-fdbc-4e4f-8cdd-9fa0c236c88a\ZoneCache\JoppaWorld.11.22.1.1.10.zone'.
File name: 'C:\Program Files\Caves of Qud\Saves\48909f52-fdbc-4e4f-8cdd-9fa0c236c88a\ZoneCache\JoppaWorld.11.22.1.1.10.zone'
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
   at System.IO.File.Open(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
   at XRL.World.ZoneManager.ThawZone(String ZoneID) in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\World\Zones\World.ZoneManager.cs:line 288

And it wont load! keeps poping up too over and over even after i close the program ...

is there a way to fix it or at least save my awsome mutant ?

Not sure why it's popping up over and over, but you could try copying a different .zone file into that directory with that file name. It'll be a copy of whatever zone that is though, so you may need to noclip up or down from there.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: March 21, 2011, 01:36:51 pm »

Is there a development tree one could look at, or is most of this stuff private until release?

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: March 21, 2011, 01:38:43 pm »

Is there a development tree one could look at, or is most of this stuff private until release?

It's not open source, and won't likely be. It's unobfuscated .NET though, so if you're curious and know what you're doing, you could always poke around with reflector.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: March 21, 2011, 01:42:30 pm »

I've noticed that when you get "could not find file" spam, it still eventually loads, but the zones that it could not find will have reset. Somewhat annoying if the zone was a village (like Jopppa or Grit Gate) that you were using as a dumping ground for items/unneeded water, but at least the save still works.

It seems to happen if you try to quit without saving, then reload the save. I think unormal mentioned that earlier (maybe in relation to a slightly different but similar issue) since the save/quit system is expects permadeath and the inability to reload a save from a previous time period.

Sweet, grit gate was selling a maintenance (yellow) security card. Also looks like it can open lower security doors (in this case, laborer/red doors).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 01:44:11 pm by Niveras »

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: March 21, 2011, 01:46:17 pm »

I actually meant when new features and stuff are added, because I know absolutely zero about coding .NET framework or otherwise (I'll probably start with Python because it seems the easiest.)

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: March 21, 2011, 01:50:03 pm »

I actually meant when new features and stuff are added, because I know absolutely zero about coding .NET framework or otherwise (I'll probably start with Python because it seems the easiest.)

Ah :)

I post here whenever I post a new build: http://forums.freeholdentertainment.com/showthread.php?6-Caves-of-Qud-Private-Version-History

I try to work in a highly iterative fashion, which means we post a couple builds a week in normal circumstances. There's usually not alot of 'pending' changes that haven't already been published.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1226 on: March 21, 2011, 02:31:57 pm »

My lucky mutant with really good random powers ran out of luck...

I was running to finally do the copper wire quest in the rust wells (already had a joppa recoiler from the glowpad merchant) and came across a lair of a legendary salt hopper. Figuring it should be no big deal, I decided to go and kill it (I was level 15, no problem for me and my sniper rifle). First level is just a bunch of weak stuff, super easy. I find 2 diff stairs going down, so I figure one is false, but I don't think much of it - after all, im level 15, and this place is weak....

I go down the stairs and am immediately blasted x3 by fire ants, which seriously hurts. Looking around I find that I'm surrounded by robots (scrap shovelers and drill bots) with the 3 fire ants on the sidelines just waiting to burn me some more. I try to go back up - no go, theres no stairway back. I pop my force bubble and make for the stairway up (which was across the map, I was heading to the other stair down I saw on the level above). I make it through a few rooms and get a bunch more bots on my tail, but I'm finally in sight of the up stair in a small room past a 3 tile hallway from the room im in when my force bubble fades. I dash into the short hallway and a drill bot hops out of the stairway room to block the tile in front of me. Behind me theres a dozen bots closing in and probably 5 or 6 fire ants I passed that were hot on my trail, and in front this drill bot is blocking my only way out.

Wishing I had brought some grenades or something, I start reloading and firing away at the drill bot. Things are looking up, I used a bunch of healing injector items and I'm a bit over half health and the drill bot is near death, with the scrap shovelers and such behind me being blocked by a relatively harmless critter that stepped into the hallway last second (I can't remember what it was, but it wasnt doing any damage). A few more shots and im home free... Suddenly a bunch of fire ants flood the room behind me and let loose right through all the bots... and im burnt to death by fire ants. One or two more shots would have killed the drill bot blocking me and let me escape through the stairs.

I can't believe my level 15 character died in a crappy legendary salt hopper lair right beside Joppa. Is it normal for there to be a bunch of fire ants and a dozen robots in a lair only like 3 world map tiles from Joppa? It was only the 2nd level of the lair, too.

Oh well. Time to start up a new guy.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: March 21, 2011, 02:35:08 pm »

I can't believe my level 15 character died in a crappy legendary salt hopper lair right beside Joppa. Is it normal for there to be a bunch of fire ants and a dozen robots in a lair only like 3 world map tiles from Joppa? It was only the 2nd level of the lair, too.

When it says it's building the area, I'm pretty sure it means it, and that enemies are generated in the cave with at least some recognition of your own level.  Around level 9, I stumbled across a random unnamed hole in the ground two map-tiles from Joppa, with three drillbots and a shoveler standing around picking their noses.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: March 21, 2011, 02:40:38 pm »

Suggestion: The tinker recipe to make lead slugs seems a bit off. First, only making 5 per bit is kind of useless. You can buy slugs dirt cheap from merchants but scrap costs more than $10 (depending on your ego). I can buy out 50 slugs from a merchant for maybe $1 or $2. Making them myself is not just inefficient, it's ridiculous unless I'm in the middle of a cave, run out of slugs, and have plenty of bits to burn on making them. Making 25 or so per bit used would make it a much more useful skill. Still a nasty cost ratio (at least 10x more expensive than buying them) but at least it'd be enough to be worthwhile.

I can burn through slugs easily just with two revolvers. I can't imagine how fast I'd go through them if I had a chaingun.

Also, it uses scrap electronics to make the bullets. Wouldn't scrap metal make more sense?

EDIT: Looking at a few characters, with a decent Ego slugs sell for $0.02 each. With a bad ego, they sell for $0.04 each. Scrap costs between $10 and $15. So right now the recipe gives you about 1% of the value of the scrap back in slugs. That's...really, really bad. Even if you got 100 slugs per bit you still wouldn't come close to breaking even on cost. $2 vs $10 with a decent ego.

What's the philosophy for Tinkering? Should you be able to make a profit off of making items? That'd seem logical, but without a really high Ego that just doesn't seem feasible. In most cases I think you'd make more selling the scrap than a finished product, which seems a bit counter-intuitive.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 04:28:21 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: March 21, 2011, 02:51:51 pm »

Level 25, finished Omonporch, defended Grit Gate and now I'm left with a question.

Where the heck is Barathrum? I still have the original quest from Argyve, which sends you to Grit Gate to speak to Barathrum. But near as I can tell, Barathrum isn't in Grit Gate. The only guys you can talk to are some merchants and Otho. I can't see anything else to talk to, even when I F9 to display the whole map (sidenote: you can use force bubble to push back doors that you're prevented from opening can't open yet; doesn't work on security doors though). Are you supposed to continue even farther along Otho's quest line before you can speak to Barathrum directly?
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 250