Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 266332 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2160 on: June 07, 2011, 02:53:36 pm »

I never had any problems with them. and I'm sure they are neutral anyway.
I just hope and I can relive my first Morrowind experience in part V, that experience was stealing a golden helmet somewhere in Vivec and than running and sneaking around trying to not get caught by the guards. The fact that guards couldn't enter doors to other rooms/places and the fact the I kept getting lost made it pretty fun ^^

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: June 07, 2011, 02:55:59 pm »

Yeah. One is an alien creature you do not know the capabilties of, the other is a common wild animal that shouldn't be up to the challenge of an armed humanoid. And that's ignoring the issue of creativity.

Well, yeah, there's that. If you go with established wildlife, players will have some inkling of knowledge of which ones are the most powerful, before getting into a fight with all of them. Which, if you're designing a game, could sometimes be something you might actually WANT to happen. And while the alien wildlife certainly lent to the general alien feel of the whole province, I'm really not convinced that it's always better to have huge insects instead of mammals just because.
They never are balanced intuitively, though. Generic wild animals are nearly always overpowered in RPGs. The only sort of reference you may have is how one real animal relates to another real animal. You're still completely clueless as to how they'll do against an armed human being. I don't think that sort of "intuition" is worth sacrificing creativity over.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: June 07, 2011, 02:59:23 pm »

especially when they all level up with you.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: June 07, 2011, 03:05:54 pm »

What about the Scrib? Smaller than the local rats, has a paralytic attack. Well, they do such petty damage that they're not actually dangerous, even to starting characters (unless blighted), but it was still pretty surprising the first time I attacked one.

But yeah, I get your point. I suppose it's entirely possible to have consistent visual cues that tell the player what he can beat at his current power level. TES has never really been good at that, though. :P

Maybe they're going to recycle some of the monsters of Solstheim for this game.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: June 07, 2011, 03:13:34 pm »

Maybe they're going to recycle some of the monsters of Solstheim for this game.

Of course they are. Those nordic zombies we keep seeing in screenshots and trailers? Look familiar?

Tyberix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: June 07, 2011, 03:14:34 pm »

Bloodmoon got some original (i mean something else than pretty standard werewolves)  monsters, because all i remember was this ugly giant at the end :P ?

Also : Wee for seamless cavern/ruins entrance ! No more of these annoying wooden doors :P

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: June 07, 2011, 03:22:50 pm »

Also : Wee for seamless cavern/ruins entrance ! No more of these annoying wooden doors :P

Really? Source of info, please?

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: June 07, 2011, 03:57:02 pm »

With the arrows, you can slay Dagoth Ur without removing his source of immortality first, breaking the game scripts that let you finish the plot. Batman would be proud.
You can do this in WoW, too. Probably any RPG, really, but I'm thinking specifically of the end battle in the Scarlet Monastery. A long time ago, I took a bunch of level 18-20 somethings through with a high level hunter. And aimed-shotted whatever-her-name was before the cutscene started.

Oh yeah. Broken plotlines are fun.

Loot that never drops, not so much.

More on topic:

The levelling in Oblivion wouldn't have been so mindnumbingly boring if they hadn't capped the number of training sessions you could buy per level. I don't think I purposely ground any skills in Morrowind. 25-28 of my 30 skills per level came from trainers. Heck, seeking out each of the master trainers was a major quest line all to itself.

Really? Source of info, please?
The trailer linked a few pages back shows what looks like a cave entrance, and a cave exit, without any doors. Granted, there might be doors hidden around the corner.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:58:56 pm by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: June 07, 2011, 04:30:52 pm »

More videos from G4TV

First part starts the same, but it extends past where it cut off in the other one.  Haven't seen the second half up yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjbfLaOjgzg

Edit:

Part 2 is up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn-CCPkU1p8
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 04:43:20 pm by Cecilff2 »
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: June 07, 2011, 04:34:06 pm »

So there isn't actually any proof that jumping was removed, as far as I can determine. I'm not sure why you (whoever first said it) would make claims that are untrue and unsubstantiated.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: June 07, 2011, 04:50:42 pm »

So there isn't actually any proof that jumping was removed, as far as I can determine. I'm not sure why you (whoever first said it) would make claims that are untrue and unsubstantiated.

That guy/girl who said it first, I can't remember who, was referring to God-of-War-style acrobatic attacks. I've never played GoW, so I couldn't tell you the details, but s/he was definitely not talking about regular jumping. S/He clarified her/himself after two posts or so, but of course everybody missed that. Not only is there no proof, there is also no actual claim. :D

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: June 07, 2011, 05:31:19 pm »

More videos from G4TV

First part starts the same, but it extends past where it cut off in the other one.  Haven't seen the second half up yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjbfLaOjgzg

Horse riding looks as shitty as it was in Oblivion. Dungeon entrance is still a door that teleports you to a different cell. The Sordid is not impressed.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: June 07, 2011, 05:33:33 pm »

Damn, I should stop watching trailers/whatever of new games, knowing my PC can't run them...

On a note about the game, the interface looks like shit...

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: June 07, 2011, 05:39:58 pm »

On a note about the game, the interface looks like shit...

That's because it's a console interface, so it has to make do with all of six buttons that are available on the controller and everything has to be fucking huge so you can see it on your shitty TV screen from across the living room.
You'll also notice that the inventory is identical to the much-maligned Oblivion inventory, only rotated 90°. Wait, no, that's not quite fair. They did improve it, as they promised. It now fits a whopping twelve items on the screen at once instead of Oblivion's mere ten. Well done, Bethsoft.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 05:44:11 pm by Sordid »

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: June 07, 2011, 05:51:34 pm »

Also in my opinion they maybe went too far with this dragon thing. It looks like theres dragon after you way too often. I also hate games where you kill humongous enemies with your tiny weapons with (relative) ease. The player surviving the mammoth strike looks...ridiculous.

And looks like both videos were just removed for copyright reasons.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 201