Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 266330 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2145 on: June 07, 2011, 08:53:35 am »

I haven't read / seen much of this game but does anyone know hoe the flora / fauna is in this game? Is it like Oblivion with boring wolves, bears and ugly trolls or does it have a cool 'eco system' like Morrowind?
It has dragons. That's all you need to know.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: June 07, 2011, 10:00:23 am »

I thought acrobatics was merged with athletics.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: June 07, 2011, 10:01:38 am »

I haven't read / seen much of this game but does anyone know hoe the flora / fauna is in this game? Is it like Oblivion with boring wolves, bears and ugly trolls or does it have a cool 'eco system' like Morrowind?

I only played like 3/4 of Morrowind, and didn't find the fauna very cool at all. The plant life was impressive though. Is there something I missed here?

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: June 07, 2011, 10:13:54 am »

I only played like 3/4 of Morrowind, and didn't find the fauna very cool at all. The plant life was impressive though. Is there something I missed here?

Yes, there were actual regions besides wooded plains and snowy wooded plains.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: June 07, 2011, 10:16:04 am »

Yeah, I realize that. I'm talking about the fauna. All of the monsters were always in the same general area, you knew what to expect when you encountered one and there wasn't a large amount of variety. Unless it just ramped up by the endgame, I'm sure they could improve on that in Skyrim.

Oblivion was pretty similar.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2150 on: June 07, 2011, 11:32:12 am »

ECOSYSTEM IS ONE WORD!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: June 07, 2011, 11:37:23 am »

ECOSYSTEM IS ONE WORD!

OMG CAPSLOCK

On a serious note... if they take away jumping.....  >:(
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: June 07, 2011, 12:35:10 pm »

Oh my god stop talking about jumping already.

Morrowind's animals were different, I guess, but I can't really think of them as better. Does it really matter whether you're being mauled by a bear or a kagouti?

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: June 07, 2011, 12:43:15 pm »

Morrowind's animals were different, I guess, but I can't really think of them as better. Does it really matter whether you're being mauled by a bear or a kagouti?

Two words. Cliff Racers.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: June 07, 2011, 12:55:52 pm »

Yeah. One is an alien creature you do not know the capabilties of, the other is a common wild animal that shouldn't be up to the challenge of an armed humanoid. And that's ignoring the issue of creativity.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: June 07, 2011, 02:19:34 pm »

Yeah. One is an alien creature you do not know the capabilties of, the other is a common wild animal that shouldn't be up to the challenge of an armed humanoid. And that's ignoring the issue of creativity.

Well, yeah, there's that. If you go with established wildlife, players will have some inkling of knowledge of which ones are the most powerful, before getting into a fight with all of them. Which, if you're designing a game, could sometimes be something you might actually WANT to happen. And while the alien wildlife certainly lent to the general alien feel of the whole province, I'm really not convinced that it's always better to have huge insects instead of mammals just because.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: June 07, 2011, 02:29:47 pm »

Well, you had those weird egg laying creatures. Called skooma or skoomoo or something like that. They were fun ^^.
Cliff racers were the reason I always started with destruction so I could actually kill them... Seeing Deadra without having to go into the Oblivion gates was fun, and Scamps were friggin' scary in Morrowind, at least I thought they were :P

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: June 07, 2011, 02:32:57 pm »

Scamps were friggin' scary in Morrowind, at least I thought they were :P

Scamps areis universally frightening.

On a different note, I'm hoping the AI is much better, as has been previously echoed here.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: June 07, 2011, 02:42:16 pm »

Well, yeah, there's that. If you go with established wildlife, players will have some inkling of knowledge of which ones are the most powerful, before getting into a fight with all of them. Which, if you're designing a game, could sometimes be something you might actually WANT to happen. And while the alien wildlife certainly lent to the general alien feel of the whole province, I'm really not convinced that it's always better to have huge insects instead of mammals just because.

Nobody's saying that it's always desirable, but it can be if originality is what you're after. Oblivion, for example, was purposely designed to be as generic as possible, and we all know how that turned out. As for knowing how powerful your enemy is, if the game designer isn't a blithering idiot that's not really a problem. Take a look at this and this. Which do you think is more dangerous? Yeah, that'd be the one whose face is pretty much made up of nothing but sharp teeth as long as your arm.

Well, you had those weird egg laying creatures. Called skooma or skoomoo or something like that. They were fun ^^.

Kwama. Skooma is a drug made out of Moon Sugar. Most merchants won't even talk to you if you have that stuff in your inventory, but Khajiits love it.
And yes, I know that off the top of my head.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: June 07, 2011, 02:46:41 pm »

Sordid, you haven't played morrowind for awhile have you?  Wild Guar have a nasty ass poison that will fuck you up, kinda the opposite of the point you are trying to make.
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 201