Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 266362 times)

Thump

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2130 on: June 06, 2011, 06:37:03 pm »

I find jumping in games essential... not necessarily because it's realistic to jump around, but without it I feel like I lose part of the Z axis.

In my opinion, jumping over a small fence is more realistic than being faced with an impassable 3 foot wall - because I could simply just CLIMB over the fence. (Unfortunately freeform climbing isn't really in games yet - even AC was mostly using predetermined points) It breaks my immersion to be able to move over things that are EASILY passable in real life.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: June 06, 2011, 07:11:42 pm »

I find jumping in games essential... not necessarily because it's realistic to jump around, but without it I feel like I lose part of the Z axis.

In my opinion, jumping over a small fence is more realistic than being faced with an impassable 3 foot wall - because I could simply just CLIMB over the fence. (Unfortunately freeform climbing isn't really in games yet - even AC was mostly using predetermined points) It breaks my immersion to be able to move over things that are EASILY passable in real life.

Ironically, freeform climbing was perfectly functional in Daggerfall. As were windows that lit up during the night, a feature that both Morrowind and Oblivion got only when modders did what Bethsoft could not (or could not be bothered to). And in Arena you had the Passwall spell which allowed you to literally carve your own path through a dungeon. I find it strange how TES makes amazing advances in some areas but goes backwards and loses some very cool features in others.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: June 06, 2011, 07:28:18 pm »

Ironically, freeform climbing was perfectly functional in Daggerfall.

If by 'perfectly functional' you mean "Damnit, climbing just glitched out and I just fell through the wall, floor, and the entire level. AGAIN."
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: June 06, 2011, 08:46:04 pm »

Ironically, freeform climbing was perfectly functional in Daggerfall.

If by 'perfectly functional' you mean "Damnit, climbing just glitched out and I just fell through the wall, floor, and the entire level. AGAIN."

To be quite fair, that would also happen while riding elevators, walking up stairs, and bumping into walls. So by "perfectly functional" I mean "as functional as everything else in the game". Yeah, DF was a flawed game, but every few years I go back to it and get more fun out of it. I've actually been playing it for the past couple of days, and I can't help thinking Skyrim could do with some of those sprawling, labyrinthine dungeons.

Plus out of all DF's glitches, falling into the void was about the easiest one to fix.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: June 06, 2011, 09:46:50 pm »

I just played Oblivion, from the Elder Scrolls series, after watching my uncle playing Morrowind when I was around 14 (more or less)...I found awesome the freedom he had to do anything, and it was the first game where I saw that looting made sense in-game (you take away armor and weapons physically, etc)....blablabla, anyway:

They are taking jumping away from the game? What?
I made a very weak character in Oblivion just so I could focus on jumping, agility and atheltics stuff.
Without jumping, it would take 70% of the fun I had trolling my dumb AI enemies.

I'm going to be really sad if that's true.. :(
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: June 06, 2011, 10:47:10 pm »

well just wait for the modders to add jumping back.
I think the first thing I said when I saw the gameplay footage was is this Bioshock? now reading that they remove jumping yeah they just made a large open world Bioshock.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: June 06, 2011, 11:03:09 pm »

Here I was thinking a large party-less open-world KOTOR. Yay, ankle-high walls and platforms I can't jump off. But what if I want to dive off the edge of the platform to my death?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Thump

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: June 07, 2011, 12:10:10 am »

Well, just because he did not jump does not mean you cannot. We will have to see. Remember, we have until November until release. Besides, how hard is it to add jumping? If it is not in now, they could easily add it in in that amount of time.

Agreed - the jumping animations could have been iffy, so they just disabled it (or told the testers not to) for the videos.

Here I was thinking a large party-less open-world KOTOR. Yay, ankle-high walls and platforms I can't jump off. But what if I want to dive off the edge of the platform to my death?

KotOR didn't feel as wrong without jumping I thought, because it wasn't an 'open world'. I didn't feel restricted much by not jumping because I knew that I was being directed in a story - I was just a player in a story rather than making my own story.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: June 07, 2011, 12:16:52 am »

Hasn't the skill "Acrobatics" already been confirmed to be in the game? what does it do if you can't jump?
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: June 07, 2011, 12:24:46 am »

It was confirmed to be removed from the game.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: June 07, 2011, 12:55:38 am »

So what are we sacrificing for jumping
Dragon powers and the ability to run around a world that may or may not have a trap that can't escape with out jumping?
From the looks of the story your playing some random guy or girl who's the chosen one and not some random lucky prisoner on a quest to save the world given to you by a king.
yeah never thought I would be so anti-hype for this game.
Maybe they can fix this and shoehorn jumping seeing how exploration going to be like walking around an art gallery in the current build.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: June 07, 2011, 01:10:35 am »

So what are we sacrificing for jumping
Dragon powers and the ability to run around a world that may or may not have a trap that can't escape with out jumping?
From the looks of the story your playing some random guy or girl who's the chosen one and not some random lucky prisoner on a quest to save the world given to you by a king.
yeah never thought I would be so anti-hype for this game.
Maybe they can fix this and shoehorn jumping seeing how exploration going to be like walking around an art gallery in the current build.

They are not removing jumping. You do know that jumping around in gameplay trailers isn't exactly the best thing to do considering bunny hopping is annoying?
And you still are a prisoner in the beginning. Some interview mentioned that it is a tradition of the TES games which they would not ruin.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: June 07, 2011, 01:16:16 am »

Now I'm fully expecting them to announce that your character [Edit edit] can't jump and nobody seems to be able to figure out why, and in the course of the story will find themselves at a cliff, with unbeatable enemies hunting them down, and will suddenly gain the ability to

Jump!
♫ Jump NOW!

hear a voice in their head giving them Very Useful Advice.

And everyone who hasn't watched Babylon 5 will not get it at all.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 01:25:24 am by Shadowlord »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: June 07, 2011, 07:42:32 am »

You people saying jumping has been sacked would do well to back that up, because there is no way in hell I'm willing to believe that they would ever remove it from the kind of open world sandbox game it is. That would make no sense what so ever.
Love, scriver~

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: June 07, 2011, 08:17:28 am »

I haven't read / seen much of this game but does anyone know hoe the flora / fauna is in this game? Is it like Oblivion with boring wolves, bears and ugly trolls or does it have a cool 'eco system' like Morrowind?
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 201